Miles to a full tank!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
350-375 until its down to an 1/8 tank. About 400 if i run it all the way down.

I do a TON of long distance highway driving. Only city driving is to the grocery store once every week.

Apex'i intake, stock everything else.

I normally fill up every 300 miles though.

I average 26 mpg. I keep a VERY detailed log of my fuel consumption. I have an excel spreadsheet that gets updated every week. :)

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I think I'm looking at about 280 this tank... quitting smoking and trying to finish tuning my high load range have resulted in the realization that at this point I should replace my TPS with a single switch.... Throttle ON, throttle off.

I've realized that while I often thought to myself that I drove pretty much 50/50 city versus highway, I probably really only account for 1/4 of my mileage on the highway (if not less).

Anyway, I suspect that once I finish screwing around with my tune on the way home and to work each day I should get some pretty respectable mileage.

Stock 7M-GE, MAFT Pro running S/D, 2.5" exhaust w/o resonator and free flowing muffler, 1pc DS, aftermarket 17"x7" rims with 235/45's, 3.93 LSD, CAI with NO restrictions between the air filter and throttle body, 15º base timing, 85 octane gas... and a few other little things here and there.

mjmendoza

May 7, 2007
San Jose
man seems like everyone gets better gas milage than i do.. my only upgrades are K&N filter and 2.5" piping with stock exhaust. i did a full tune up a couple months ago and i think i am due for oil change.. but would else could i do to improve my gas milage?. a complete list please. thanks.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
suprarx7nut said:
Plugs, wires, cap and rotor, oil change, clean air filter, o2 sensors? :dunno:

Check timing perhaps :dunno:

Lift your foot off the accelerator more often :D

Check your tire pressure, make sure your brakes aren't sticking, check for vacuum leaks...

And stop wasting your money on 91 octane fuel?

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Which octane fuel are u using CRE? I wonder because you do run a different set up unlike anybody else with a GE

V

vecog

250 ~ 300mi to a tank, I drive 75% highway and 25% city to and from work.
I also have a high idling issue and could use new tires too! I'm going to try a new O2 sensor.

PlantSUPRA

Oct 3, 2007
Hollywood
am trying to build a 500 to 650 whp supra 7mgte but i wanna know is ... once am finished do i us 91 octane or 100 to more octane ???

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I'm not going to get into the whole octane thing right now. There are a couple threads which cover it quite thoroughly already on here, I'd suggest searching for them and reading them throroughly. Be forewarned, there is always inaccurate info mixed in with the good.

To put it simply, the lower the octane the more raw power the fuel is capable of producing. Lower octane fuel burns hotter and faster. It's not uncommon for people to run an octane that's so high that they actually end up dumping unused fuel into their exhaust while it's still burning... you might think the flames look cool, but think about your valves, O2 sensor, gaskets, cat if you still have one....

What fuel you need to run depends on your build and your driving. If you're looking for the most power you want to run the lowest octane you can without knocking. To be on the safe side you can determine which octane fits that criteria and then go with one grade higher.

I run 85 octane (more details are in my previous post). However, I'm also a mile above sealevel. Were I to drive somewhere closer to sealevel I *might* need to run closer to 87, especially if the weather is warm. Most of you who are running a bone stock N/A with stock timing will probably be fine with 85.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Lower octane better huh? That makes me consider using 87 again, although I'm not sure what my timing is at. It could be anywhere from 10-13, so according to your post, I'll probably be putting 87 or 89 now.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I ran regular unleaded stock, and with minor intake upgrade, cat-delete, and ignition. It wasn't until I put a header on and did a full exhaust upgrade that I had to change to a higher octane gasoline. Now run Shell or Chevron mid-grade mostly.

Kris

Oct 14, 2007
cedar hill, tx
mjmendoza said:
i was just wondering how many miles you guys get on a full tank of gas. I have a 87 non turbo auto and i think i get pretty crappy miles. sometimes not even 200 miles to a full tank. Most of the time its around 180 miles to a full tank. can you guys tell me what you guys get. thanks..AND i use 76 gas with 91 octane

My 89 auto get 22-23 mpg. I experimented with higher octane fuel, but no change in mileage was noted. Keeping clean spark plugs in it helps significantly.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
With my N/A I had absolute crap mileage. With my turbo, I get much better gas mileage. The reason is probably a useless o2 sensor. Replace it and you should notice a diff.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
before i killed my poor N/A motor, i used to get around 300/tank with my heavy right foot...

never bothered to look since i swapped. and i also don't care that much. haha

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I got around 360miles a couple tanks ago.
That was pretty damn exceptional.