MHG torque

tropical 87t

Dec 18, 2005
Lake City, FL
Just layed a Cometic 2.00mm MHG down. I started at 20lbs and did 20lb increments up to 60lbs. Let it sit a few hours and then continued up to 90lbs. Do I need to retorque after that or should I have let it sit till the next day?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
FIRST, did you drill out the rivet? if not, i'd strongly suggest doing so before you go any further...

secondly, i did mine up to 90ft lbs. i went from 35, 55, 70, then 90ft lbs. the entire process took me like 20 minutes. i didnt wait at all. did you use headstuds or headbolts? studs dont need to be retorqued, bolts are SUPPOSED to be retorqued, but many people dont.

if you're using stock headbolts, i'd definately retorque them after 500 miles.

-shaeff

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
I tourqued mine to 30lbs and then went in 10lb increments up to 110lbs with arp's... would I need to retorque them at all?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yeah, i'd back that shizzle off to about 90ft lbs, 100 TOPS. (several guys here run 100ft lbs, even though i personally wouldnt go past 90)

yeah, i actually used a dremel to cut the bevel off the rivet, then it just fell out. :)

-shaeff

tropical 87t

Dec 18, 2005
Lake City, FL
Oh crap, what rivet? I used ARP bolts. How much trouble am I in if I didn't remove this rivet? Can I take the head back off, remove the rivet, and reuse the same MHG? Thanks.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
mhg is reusable,

you dont have to wait between torquing unless you are using stretch bolts. supras dont use stretch bolts so there is no need.

110 lbs is a crapload of torque 90 will be more than enough

the rivet is a small, well rivet in the hg that is not needed at all, dont have a pic but its a little copper looking thing about 2-3 mm wide that just gets in the way.

be carefull when you take all that torque off of the head. i'd get it on a straight edge again after taking it off just incase because your putting it under ALLOT of stress.

my choice would have been studs, but to each his own.

btw ij that is an awsome pic, got anymore im extremely curious as to where the ducts are for oil and coolant and how big they are, surprises me when i see just how smal the exhaust and intake ports are.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
damn I didn't realize that I had them too tight... I thought tighter was better... I guess I better take that head off and check it out...

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
quik Q on MHG's. I have got 3 used ones (not blown and all under 15k kms) These are meusa(sp?) from spain.Metalic layered steel gaskets.Since i cant seem to be able to get hold of these any more I'm just wondering if anyone has reused their metal hg? Ive got a mate with a 7mgt in a 85 cressida and wanting to know incase of the bhg if we can reuse these mhg's.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mik: As far as I know if you clean all of the flourine rubber coating off then hit them with some sealer (Either a light coat of copper or Permatex brake quiet) you can reuse them.

Make sure there's no crap between the layers as well.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
ohh nice one Ian.Ive got 3 spare mhg's then.The white coating has transfered(?) off the hg onto the head and block,leaving some bare patches.There is still some hylomar on there.