Megan coilovers?

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
tried doing a search and i found a few positive things and a few negative things about megan coilovers. just wanted to know some more about them and if they are worth it. they are on ebay for $838 plus shipping. they also have the pillowball mounts. origonally i was gonna do tein SS but they dont come with the pillow ball mounts and they are 950. i appreciate any feedback.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Do you have a link to that eBay ad?

Nobody should be selling them for less then we are, or you could be possibly void of warranty.

As far as a comparison, there are 3 in that price range. Ksport, Megan, and TEIN SS.

Ksport works well, but are noticeably cheaper on quality. Megan has a larger diameter shaft, and metal bearings the top hat over poly in the ksports.

As you said, TEIN SS has no pillowballs at all. The ONLY thing that makes them worthwhile is the EDFC capability.

I can't think of anything better for the $$$, but since I sell them you should take that comment with a grain of salt.

There is a fairly long Megan thread in my vendor section as well.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Well, as far as what I think, they're crap. If you just want to slam your car and have it be real stiff, but not handle well, then Megan's/D2/Ksport/Tein/etc/ are for you. I just hasn't been happy with anything that's been coming out of Asia in terms of coilovers for most cars. I have a lot more experience with crappy coilovers in the 240 market, but I'm seeing the same trends here. Too stiff compression damping making the ride quality suck. The rebound side could be close to right, but once you start adjusting it, it goes all over the place and usually will adjust both rebound and compression. I'm also assuming that the dampers don't match side to side and the adjusters aren't going to work the same side to side. I also have doubts about the springs that they use. I have never tested them to see how close they are to their advertised rates, but I would assume a fairly larger tolerance at least. But besides that, everything else should work alright. So you can lower the car.

Now this is just from a performance outlook, if you want your car to handle as well as it can, the dampers in the Asian coilovers just don't cut it. I'm talking about pretty much everything under $2k, but I'm not expecting too much for even the more expensive ones.

Now this may seem like I'm being overly harsh on what I think about those dampers, but I just have not had any good experiences with any of the normal stuff. My best review has been that they don't feel that bad.

But it all depends on what you want.

What I would suggest would be a Bilstein or Koni setup. I would go with the Bilsteins, but if you want some adjustability then go with the Koni Yellows. Combine them with spring sleeves and good springs, read Hypercoils, that match the valving and the car and what you want out of it and you will have an awesome setup. It may not go as low right out of the box, but it will ride better and handle better than anything else you can get for the same amount of money.

Tim

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I have them and I love them. But, like 935 said, if they sell for less then $950, a warranty issue comes to play. They might not have one.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Now let me ask, the people that said they love them. Have you ever driven or even rode in a properly setup car? I'm not trying to say that you're wrong, I'm just curious as to what is your baseline for comparison. Going from stock blown dampers to Megans would be a huge step up. But going from a properly dialed in damper to Megans would be a huge step down.

Tim

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
You are right Wii....But, for what I'm looking for with the suspension is what I like. The ability to adjust the ride height and the stiffness.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I get what you're saying. But you're going to need to ride in my brother's car with my suspension, so if there's a big supra meet or something when I have the supra running, I'll bring it out and give you a ride in it. Everyone who rides or drives in the car loves the way it feels and handles.

Tim

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Your setup might be great Tim, but I have not used your setup. Care to send me a free set? Until then I won't know :)

The setups I have used are:

Stock
Tokico blue / eibach
Tokico illumina / eibach
Bilstein / eibach
Bilstein / stock
Koni / eibach
Koni / gc (1000lb front / 650lb rear)
JIC non adjustable coilovers

As far as daily driving goes, the bilstein / stock or bilstein / intrax was a decent setup for daily driving.

Megans should be used for more serious duty then cruising around buying groceries.

So your custom setup may actually be better then Megan, but at a higher cost. If you have never used Megans personallly on MA70, then I would ask that you not put down something that you have not personally used.

kjj512

May 27, 2006
PA
935motorsports said:
Megans should be used for more serious duty then cruising around buying groceries.

So your custom setup may actually be better then Megan, but at a higher cost. If you have never used Megans personallly on MA70, then I would ask that you not put down something that you have not personally used.

It is possible to tell how a coilover will feel based on the dyno plots and spring rates as long as you have a base line. I have seen the math and the simulation programs used to evaluate different coilover set ups and with the right measurements you can evaluate ride quality and handling without trying out every coilover or shock spring combination. Megans may be cheaper but you get what you pay for in quality.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I wish I had the money to be able to send free test sets out to some of the shop owners. Maybe some kind of test could be worked out if there was a track day or some kind of driving event coming up, but ither than that, I don't now what to day. You could give it a shot, I'm sure you'll be carrying the line after you drive on them.

So the Bilstein dampers had the best ride quality out of what you've driven on. The thing about ride quality is that it's directly related to grip. People tend to think that poor ride quality comes with a better damper, this isn't the case. The biggest part of ride quality is influenced by the high speed compression characteristics of the damper.

On better dampers, a digressive compression curve is available. This will provide the needed amount of force in the low speed range and then fall off in the high speed range allowing for the bumps and road inputs to be absorbed by the suspension rather than transmitted to the chassis. This is an available feature on Bilsteins, higher end Konis, Penske, Ohlins, etc.

On other dampers, the compression curve is linear, so in order to get the low speed control needed, the high speed compression damping is too high and transmits everything from the road into the chassis. Sometimes less low speed compression is used to try and get the high speed forces down, but this hurts the performance of the damper as much as too much high speed does.

The main function of a damper is to help keep the tire on the road. Think about everything you feel in the driver's seat when driving on subpar dampers. That force is also seen at the contact patch, so if it's disrupting you in the driver's seat, think about what it's doing down there. That kind of input is very unsettling for the car. But if the spring and damper are doing their job and absorbing the impact and dissipating the energy from it and allowing the tire to not get beat up, it will be much better for grip.

So that's why a lot of the JDM and other Asian country's dampers aren't as great as people think. There's a big difference between stiff and harsh, stiff can work, harsh is never good.

So yes, my setup is better than Megan, but that's not really the discussion here. I will also say, that I would be pretty sure that a normal Bilstein damper paired with a good spring setup would also be better. It's not just Megan, it's most of the common coilovers. And the biggest problem is that compression curve being too much for the car. And I'm basing this on a lot of empirical data, not just my opinion. Although I haven't seen dyno plots for every setup and every car, 99% of the time, the asian damper curves aren't that good.

So if you want me to give Megan's a better review, then how about sending me a set for free and see if it changes my mind. I'll even send them back after I test them.

Tim

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I am not suggesting that Megan is better then sliced bread. There are certainly better things, but for $900 shipped, you can't get better performance, as far as what I can find.

My customer had koni w/ GC, which he thought was a great setup. It took me a long time to get him to try a set of Megans. So, he put them on and after a few trips through the mountains came back with a big grin on his face.

Ksport at under $800 might be a better bang for the buck but after inspecting them they just seem cheap and lower quality then the megan.

I wish that you could try the megans, or at least do some shock testing on them so that you can give some good feedback. With your comments about these 'types' of coilovers, you seem to be lumping all of the companies as one unit.

Even if the review was negative, I'd like to see the Megans tested and reviewed as an individual unit and not as 'an asian coilover'.

kjj512

May 27, 2006
PA
935motorsports said:
I wish that you could try the megans, or at least do some shock testing on them so that you can give some good feedback. With your comments about these 'types' of coilovers, you seem to be lumping all of the companies as one unit.

Even if the review was negative, I'd like to see the Megans tested and reviewed as an individual unit and not as 'an asian coilover'.

The reference to "asian coilover" is the best way to do it because its naive to believe that all of these companies actually make their own stuff. Most of the coilovers you buy are the same things just rebadged and marked up depending on the brand. I'm not saying all of them do that but their are quite a few that have been researched and it turned out they all came from the same factory. Thats why the term "asian coilover" is so fitting.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
I remember someone on here (I think figgie) had a Megan set tested by a racing suspention company, and the preliminary results were pretty impresive, but he lost all the data when his computer crashed. I'm pretty happy so far with my Megan, and hopefully in 2008, I will really test them on road racing tracks/autocross etc. What eventually sold me on them was a review I read on an Evolution forum by some hard core senior autocross guys, they were pretty happy/impressed with them.

Edit: It was figgie, not jdub, sorry

Last edited:

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
I think that Wiisass needs to sent a set of his TIP Engineering coilovers out to 935Motorsports for him to install and ride on them. And 935Motorsports should send a set of Megans out to Wiisass for him to run them through is test and install and compare to a set of his TIP coilovers. I would like to see this happen so I think you to should trade and test.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
If you can get me a set to dyno, I will gladly dyno them and analyze it and post on here for everyone. I would only need one front and one rear damper, but it would be nice to dyno a whole set to see how close the left/right dampers are because that's a big sign of quality control.

If it was Jdub, maybe he will chime in and maybe post what he found if he did have them tested. It would be nice to see something, at least until I get a chance to do it myself.

Red7m, I'm not totally against sending out my setup for some people to test. If there's a race or event or something out there, then it could be a possibility. As for testing the Megan's, I would at least like to get them on the shock dyno, I could also track test them, but right now the car isn't ready for any more driving than pulling into the shop.

Tim

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Our stock isn't very high, so to send a full set out I would quickly need it right back.

However, I do have often have a set of fronts available because i sell the rears to the cressida guys.