Making the best out of a bad purchase - LS Swap

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
Been lurking on here for quite a while, researching and trying to figure out what I want to do.

Back story:

Purchased a super clean 88 Turbo/5spd/Targa model a few months back. Did the research before going to look at it, knew about HG issues. Looked it over for a long while, drove it. Drove it some more... Ran great, no signs of HG problems (or anything else for that matter). Engine was smooth and quiet. Owned by older guy who said that the engine had been rebuilt 30-40k ago. Had no reason to not believe him. Talked him down to $3500 and drove it back home (40miles).

p1925413_1.jpg

p1925413_2.jpg

p1925413_3.jpg

Clean car, interior clean (no tears, cracks, ect.). Still has factory floor mats and tool for Targa top. Bone stock.

2 days later, all of the issues started to show up.... First up, was a slight wobble from the crank pulley, that progressively got worse throughout the day (was a Sunday so I took it for a 30min drive). After I returned home, I decided to check the crank pulley bolt.
I was able to tighten it some, and the wobble *almost* went away. After another little drive, the wobble was back. I pretty much knew what that meant, so I decided to remove the pulley and see how bad it was. After taking the bolt out, the pulley fell off. :3d_frown:

Here is what the crank looked like:

p1925413_4.jpg

The inside of the pulley wasn't much better. Someone had tried to *repair* this by using what looked to be JB Weld. Thanks for mentioning that, previous owner...... :: angry ::

After some thought, I decided to put the pulley back on so that the car wouldn't be sitting in my garage unable to move while I searched for a new engine. Pulled out the TIG torch and put a few tacks on the pulley to hold it in place. I actually got the pulley squared up enough to where it was *almost* wobble free! So, at least I could move it in & out of the garage and run around town a bit.

Next issue. Couple days later, I decided to make an ice cream run & took the car. Big mistake.
Car ran great all the way to Braum's. Right as I was pulling into the parking lot, it started missing and smoking. Smoking like I thought that it was on fire (from under hood, and exhaust), and was making mental plans to get to the back of the parking lot away from other cars while I watched it burn.
Got it back to the farthest corner of the parking lot and shut it off. Smoking stopped.... Hmmmm...

Popped the hood, check everything over, and I could find nothing wrong. After 5min, I decided to fire it back up again. Immediate smoke show that clouded the entire section of the parking lot! Killed it again, and got back under the hood. Checked all fluids, hoses, lines...everything I could think of, and it all looked perfect.
Called a tow truck, and when the driver showed up, he asked what was wrong with it. After a brief description, he volunteered to watch under the hood while I started it up to see where the smoke show was coming from. It was coming from the turbo.

Ok, blown turbo seals... Or so I thought.

After getting it towed home, it sat in the garage for a couple days while I did some research. Ended up finding a complete 7mgte that was pretty local to me. My plan was to purchase that engine, toss it's turbo onto my engine, and then build that engine up & swap it out with mine. Sounded like a good plan to me, so I went and picked up the 7mgte.
The new turbo was in great shape, and I got to work swapping mine out. Upon removal of my old turbo, I noticed that it seemed to be in great shape. No shaft play. :confused:

Got it all swapped, and fired it up. Same darn thing. Pulled all the plugs and found cylinder 6 was full of coolant.... :aigo:
Decided not to even mess with the current engine at all, and just focus on building this other engine. Called around and found a local machine shop that was familiar with the engine, and would:

- Go through and check the head
- Deck the head
- Deck the block
- Bore/clean/do everything that needed to be done to get the engine ready to build

So, I started tearing down the new engine to get it ready for machining. Since it was sitting on my engine stand, tearing it down was a cakewalk. Everything looked great, until........ I pulled the head off.

p1925413_5.jpg

These are the valves on the number 6 cylinder on the new engine. Hmmmm....

This is the number 6 piston:

p1925413_6.jpg

Did a bit more research, and it appears that these aren't interference motors, so........

Yeah.

p1925413_7.jpg

And.

p1925413_8.jpg

And.

p1925413_9.jpg

^^ That's a crack in the block.

I should be pissed, but it's just funny now.

Anyway, that sums up my series of excellent purchases. Here is how the car sits right now, with it's 7mgte boat anchor ready to be pulled:

p1925413_10.jpg

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
Since I'm already stuck with the car (could never recoup my money out of it), and I really did enjoy driving it for those 60-70 miles, I may as well make the most out of it. I'll be a happy man if I never see another 7M engine, so that option is off the table. Started looking into 1JZ/2JZ swaps. Kinda leary of spending another $3k on an engine that I really know nothing about, especially with my luck on this car.

So, decided to go with something that I do know, and that's the GM LS engines. I purchased a complete 5.3L LM7 (iron block) for $450 and a set of 311 heads (6.0L heads) for another $100.
Here is the plan:

5.3 Iron Block
6.0 Heads (drops CR to 8.2:1)
LS9 Camshaft
LS9 Headgaskets
Head Studs
Stiffer valve springs
Twin HX35s or maybe PT 6262s
External Gates
80lb Injectors...ect.

Here is a rough layout of what i'm going for:

p1925420_1.jpg

p1925420_2.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll be going with the PT6262s instead of the HX35s.

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
So, here's where I'm at. I've got WAY too much stuff sitting in my garage right now, and need room on my engine stand for the LSx. The 7M that's sitting in the supra, is completely unbolted and ready to lift out. I'm either going sell everything 7m related for dirt cheap on craigslist, or scrap it, BUT........ I need to know what I should keep for doing my swap.

I can get the LS engine in the car and running with no problems, but I want to keep everything working on the car (gauges, TEMS, HVAC, ect). So, with that in mind, do I need to keep the 7mgte wiring harness/ecu in the car? I'm guessing that the gauges just run off of their sending units, but is that data relayed through the ecu?

Any info you guys can shed on the subject is greatly appreciated!

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
S.A. supra;1925421 said:
Well at least you have a clean car to start with. Good luck on your build. Why LS? Why not 2jzgte?

I did look into the 1JZ/2JZ swaps. They seem pretty straight forward, but engines/parts just seem too expensive/hard to source. I'm just hesitant to dump several thousand more into something that I'm not familiar with and have no experience with, is all. I've built LS engines before, and am familiar with tuning them.
The LS engine PCMs are fully tunable, and work very well with boost. From what I've researched, the 7M/1JZ/2JZ PCMs are not tunable and require a $2000 stand-alone to facilitate tuning...

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
S.A. supra;1925423 said:
Damn you bet me... thats a lot of fabricating.

Definitely no stranger to fabrication! My main hobby is offroad related, and a friend and I have built just about everything on it. Between the two of us, we've got the experience and tools to make it happen!

We designed and built a few of these bumpers:

p1925426_1.jpg

p1925426_2.jpg

p1925426_3.jpg

p1925426_4.jpg

p1925426_5.jpg

p1925426_6.jpg

p1925426_7.jpg

p1925426_8.jpg

p1925426_9.jpg

p1925426_10.jpg

And we've also built a bunch of other stuff over the years, but I realize this is a tech forum and that's not Supra related! Sorry if I'm cluttering up the thread...

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Good stuff. Look forward to seeing some progress.

Kinda shitty to see all of the problems you have had with the 7m's. I feel for you. You can't go wrong with an LS engine. Good luck on the build.

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
emericaskater285;1925428 said:
Good stuff. Look forward to seeing some progress.

Kinda shitty to see all of the problems you have had with the 7m's. I feel for you. You can't go wrong with an LS engine. Good luck on the build.

Thanks man. Just had some bad luck with the 7M stuff, but I still love the car. Always wanted a MK3.

Goal here is to keep it clean and driveable!

If anyone has any recommendations on what to keep of my 7M stuff to make the gauges/factory electronics work, feel free to speak up! I want to get rid off all the stuff that I don't need to make some room in the garage!

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
IJ.;1925443 said:
All the Sensors on the Engine, Temp,Oil, pretty much bin the rest of it.

I did a Single T04z/6.0L in my Mk3 a few years back and if I were to do it again I'd go PD Charger.

Excellent, thanks! Do you happen to have a build thread on your Mk3?

mattsplat72;1925445 said:
Nice CAD work, nice welds, Supra is in good hands

Thank ya, sir.

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
IJ.;1925449 said:
Sorry took it all down after I killed it :(

No prob! Curious as to which transmission you ran in it. I'd like to take the easy route, and just buy the adapter to mate it to my R154, but I've read that it might not take too well to that kind of power. Part of me says that it would be fine, as I won't be drag racing it, but the other part of me is saying that I'll blow it on a highway pull and I should just put the money into a built 4L80e....
Decisions decisions...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I ran a built A340E with an Adaptor I made, if you're going forced induction the 80 will be a good choice. :)

Current Project has a built 60 in it and it's taken me quite awhile to stop turning it into scrap...

Side note my DD is a Holden "Adventra"

lsx027.jpg

adventr

Feb 22, 2013
Arkansas
IJ.;1925457 said:
I ran a built A340E with an Adaptor I made, if you're going forced induction the 80 will be a good choice. :)

Current Project has a built 60 in it and it's taken me quite awhile to stop turning it into scrap...

Side note my DD is a Holden "Adventra"

lsx027.jpg

Nice. I know that the a340 trans that is in the later model 80 series cruiser is pretty darn stout. My cruiser has the a442f in it, which is pretty bulletproof.

I've not had much luck with the 4L60s either. A friend just turned one into scrap while running a 400whp tune!

Holden Adventra.... Had to google that one! I'm definitely jealous of all the vehicle combinations that you guys get down there. I'd give my right nut for a new 76 series landcruiser! Or even a diesel powered 80 series. We got stuck with an 80 series with a 1FZ engine. Good engine, but I'd rather have the diesel!

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
always sucks to see how quickly people's readiness to dive in head first quickly fades to unrestrained frustration and abandonment (not of the car, just the temperamental 7m)