Major brain food for the (Blown Head Gasketeers)

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
how does the machining/decking process go? retard question, but i figure SM is the best place to ask

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The key to any HG replacement (MHG or composite) is proper block/head deck prep, torque to ARP spec (or 70-75 ft/lbs on Toyota bolts), and a GOOD tune.

I personally wouldn't go over 14-16 psi of boost on a composite gasket, but a lot of guys have. That's because they took the time/effort for a GOOD tune.

IMO...do the above and the composite HG will work quite well ;)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
my stock hg w/ arp bolts lasted a year of me beating the piss out of it.. it would of held if a injector didn't fail and fill the cyl w/ gas killing the gasket..

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
ive had bad luck with stock HGs. My first car blew at 9psi as soon as i turned up boost. My car now held at 10psi. turned up to 11.5 it blew

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I kept my account, too, assholes. :icon_conf

I just...wanted two...1 for backup...you know, incase...

You know.

Safety?

:x:

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Ok, so I too ran around on the stock head gasket, re-tourqed to 72lbs, and it was holding 20psi fine... then some detonation on a cold morning, and it was gone. (And of course, that had to be on the trip to Vegas... :) )

So, some detonation now on the metal one, and it's not gone. Cheap insurance IMHO all things being equal, the metal gaskets v/s the composite types will hold up much longer to abuse, intentional or accidental than the stock type any day of the week.

(Case in point, about 28psi on pump 91... detonation that killed two spark plugs, but did not blow the head gasket. If I had lifted, I would have joined the bugs splattered all over a semi truck's front end. so lifting while it was detonating was not an option...)

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
I completely agree with the functionality of a MHG over the composite.

However I'm currently just having a good ol' time with a OEM gasket and my new found HP. No sense in fixing something that isn't broken yet. :)

**cough** yet..