Major brain food for the (Blown Head Gasketeers)

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
Being a forum member for a few years here and there, but more importantly being a MKIII supra owner for way longer... I find that so many people seem to have such bad luck with BHGs.

Personally I have only ever blown ONE head gasket... and it was the original one. It happens...

So I machined the head, decked the block by hand, then installed another toyota HG along with new toyota parts-counter head bolts to 72 ft/lbs.

That was back in 2002 or so.
CT26 (60-trim upgrade) at 20psi = HG didn't budge.
T-66 (Full T4 turbo) at 17psi = HG still hasn't budged.

The only thing I seem to be overpowering is my clutch, which is being replaced in my garage at the moment.

The car has never seen anything below 93 octane, and has never detonated.
Base timing is relatively modest at 11-12 degrees btdc, and my knk sensors are working fine. The car is making over 400hp right now.

Willie's car did some ridiculous numbers with a toyota HG too. (Built by Sean Xman, and whoever else. :) )

Anyway, just thought it would be interesting to see any other high power guys using a OEM gasket.

If I blow my HG in the next month, I'll buy everyone on SM a coke.
:rofl:

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Hmm i was on a full t4 setup (t70) pushin 24psi for about 2 years now. only reason motor is pulled out now is because it has forged internals awaiting for it :D

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
you have enough money for 4,266 cokes?

minus a few because of the dumbasses who created another accout since they didn't like thier name....

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
You are so right on the point Brent. How many BHG can be blamed on the person who installed it with out proper prep work, beats the hell out of the motor, and then when it blows, blames it on the "7m's go through headgaskets" myth. Three Years of 425 RWHP with a tdo6-20g on a new toyota headgasket here. Never faulted.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've been preaching that the head gaskets stock are plenty tough for years. I managed to blow one, stock turbo, 20+ psi... at the same time I burned a piston and cracked a couple more. Keep in mind that at this point I was just turning it up until it blew - I ran it over 20psi for months before it finally went, I was half convinced that it never would.

As has been pointed out earlier in the thread... avoiding detonation is the key. As long as you have the head torqued to something reasonable, of course, the stock specs won't hold squat, and the original gasket, with years of abuse at the lower torque, will pop like a 14 year sailor in a Thai whorehouse.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
MK3Brent said:
I think it's that, plus I don't beat on the car all that much.

Maybe that's why.

That was going to be my next question. Do you beat on the car. Not boosting all over town will keep your supra nice for many years. Here is a Metal head gasket story that will prove that owners can be the worst part of a Supra.

I am going to look at a parts car that was 100% working with mods and a Metal HG (dont know what mods yet) It was blown by a drunk that turned the manual boost controller up all the way. If that was not bad enough the engine was taken apart and let sit for 1 year full of water and oil.. Now its a RUST BUCKET! or parts car for me :naughty: , I will post pics of this mess soon on another thread.

s turbo 87

Accepting Donations
Apr 5, 2005
Louisville, KY
i retorqued my stock toyota head bolts with the stock gasket and 165k miles to 72 ft/lbs and ran 20psi with a 60-1 ct for months...then it blew one day while just cruising, i hadnt gotten on it the whole day.
i was on borrowed time as far as i was concerned and surprised it lasted as long as it did.