Low Oil Light idea!

N

NDBoost

Has anyone ever though of doing this? I was thinking about tapping ahole in a spare oil pan and putting some type of float sensor in the oil pan. Kind of like the low coolant level but with the ability to stand up to the oil and heat etc.

Whats everyont think of this idea, build upon it; throw me some ideas, on other methods to incorporate this idea into a 7M!

edit:
to prevent the infinite amounts of flaming i could get from this, im going to state that i check my oil every other day and try to never let it below the full mark. But having the low oil light system added to a 7M would greatly reduce that thought in the back of my head that the dipstick could be reading something wrong, or something like that.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
I wouldnt worry about getting flamed. Its a good idea and would be great if you found a way to do it. It would not only be convienent but would also make the whole community look better by reducing that high statistic of rod knock. Maybe you could pass the idea on to someone that could produce something for everyone, maybe even a sensor that simply screws in as the drain plug. It wouldnt require everybody to remove the pan and possibly have to have something welded.

N

NDBoost

that is true, but if you think about it the drain plug sits on an angle and isnt at the LOWEST point of the oil pan it wouldnt be hard to fabricate something that comes in at an angle for the oil drain plug. but man gets me excited i really wanna work on this!

people post more ideas!

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
yea... might also help to know how high the oil actually sit when its at the correct level. I dont know but it might be the same height as the plug but might not.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
well if you do it for the drain plug, it makes more sense since it is not at the bottom of the level of the oil pan. someone would have to figure out where to measure it at exactly at 3.0l lol

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
A few GM's have an oil level sensor. I'll see if I can find out what cars have them. I'm pretty sure it's like H and C bodies. The "higher end" GM cars... which is a joke. Park Ave's and Bonnevilles, so forth.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
You do know that oil is "slightly" moving in there right? (IE, sloshing around in a mystical whirlwind!)

A better idea would be to get a highly calibrated pressure gauge. No pressure, no oil. :)

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Brent: It's on the basic idea of putting the sensor at the lowest point of deemed "safe" levels of oil.

The sensor is a basic 2-pole open element type that is happy when it can pass a current through the oil connecting the two poles. when the oil goes away, so does the current passing through, then the light goes on. A good idea would be to put it a safe distance above the pump pickup, but still in the baffled section so it would defeat slosh.

This is actually not a bad idea, but I'm in the Supra habit of checking my oil all the time when my car runs, or when I'm allowed to drive, per the law.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
your right... but also by the time pressure drops from lack of oil, theres a good chance your starving parts of oil and going to do some damamage. The oil level would give you warning

N

NDBoost

supra90turbo said:
Hook it up to a buzzer too.. hmm...
possibly an electrical shock system integrated into the steering wheel as well? or maybe a talking female voice like on the old datsun z's "attention your an idiot, add oil"

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
European based MKIII had a low oil level light. You might look in to sourcing the system from one of the Supras from over there. I believe it read from a sensor based in the oil pan. I’m having trouble remembering exactly, it could have just as easily light up when there was no pressure. I’ll try looking for the info, it was over on SF somewhere, however the search index seems broken or incomplete from the last rebuild so it my take awhile.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
born2drv said:
Wouldn't it be easier and maybe more accurate to somehow measure it from the dipstick?
like on the dipstick? or like in the hoel of the dipstick area? i think that would be more work seeignhow the damn hoel is soo big and youd need to enlarge t for the sensor and the dipstick. perosnally i woudn't trust just the electrical, i chekc mie constantely as well.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
dirgle said:
European based MKIII had a low oil level light. You might look in to sourcing the system from one of the Supras from over there. I believe it read from a sensor based in the oil pan. I’m having trouble remembering exactly, it could have just as easily light up when there was no pressure. I’ll try looking for the info, it was over on SF somewhere, however the search index seems broken or incomplete from the last rebuild so it my take awhile.
I think you are dead on - there was an extra sensor in the oilpan and an extra idiot light in the dash.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well i sorceing teh parts to do this now since i maken wide pan

grabing the sencer from a 85 supra then hooking it up to led light in my auto meter gauge with i have to install

all be posting more about this project as i start to cut my pan and get some cleanses

i going to be stealing some of my idea from the chevy crowed as well

as in baffling and such

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i mean like somehow mounting a sensor or something in the dipstick hole. Maybe it could somehow measure how saturated or wet the probe is... or measure how high the average level of oil is somehow?? And this could correlate to some scale in oil level? Just a thought.... don't flame me please :)

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
GrimJack said:
I think you are dead on - there was an extra sensor in the oilpan and an extra idiot light in the dash.

Here is a pic of a "suitable substitute": a 1JZ tach from a Japanese Supra.
Might help get you started on this project.

1JZTach.jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I can think of a half dozen ways to do this. Some Volvos also come equipped with an oil level sender. That said, the idea is not new and there are several "electronic dipsticks" already on the market.that can replace a stock one