Low coolant light on

hcorea

May 10, 2009
Kansas
www.cardomain.com
I just turned it on this morning and saw the low coolant leak light on. I put in some antifreeze about 2 weeks ago and now I checked the overflow bottle and theres nothing in there. Whats going on? Its not a blown head gasket because my engines running fine and its never overheated

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
hcorea;1320864 said:
Its not a blown head gasket because my engines running fine and its never overheated

LOL, is "engine running fine and dosent over heat" all of your trouble shooting on BHG? :3d_frown:

supraken

Jun 24, 2008
pensacola, FL
when you fill it up drive it around get it up to temp and turn it off get out of the car see if it blows out of the overflow hose, if it does, you have a BHG on the exhaust side of the head gasket, thats what happened to me:3d_frown:

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
supraken;1320965 said:
when you fill it up drive it around get it up to temp and turn it off get out of the car see if it blows out of the overflow hose, if it does, you have a BHG on the exhaust side of the head gasket, thats what happened to me:3d_frown:

Me too. Car ran great up until the day I tore it apart. It even ran great after the BHG really started to let go. It took almost 9 months for it to go from bad to real bad.

The progression during 9 months was:

adding coolant every few weeks
adding coolant every week
adding coolant a few times a week
temperature spiked a few times
TIME FOR REPAIR

hcorea

May 10, 2009
Kansas
www.cardomain.com
engine has 158k miles on it so if a headgasket blew I'd think it would've happened already and it got fixed.
I'll get the cooling system checked out after I get back from summer i guess

ft413

learner
Sep 23, 2008
EL
have you changed any of the 20 year old hoses on the car:naughty:. and it matters how your driving the car not how many miles are on it.

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
hcorea;1321400 said:
engine has 158k miles on it so if a headgasket blew I'd think it would've happened already and it got fixed.

Not necessarily. Mine went at 105K. Car was pretty much babied its entire life. Still is. 150K is not uncommon for a BHG to go for the first time.
You need to get a leak down test performed. If you take it to a shop they should charge you around $90.00

T-MA71

Always broken down member
Mar 16, 2008
Nashua, NH
Mine hasn't gone yet and is well over 220K miles. Need to order a set of ARP's and should be ready to take it apart once it blows.

But yea, i would check for leaks. Coolant doesn't just dissappear...

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
i have the opposite problem (kind of)... My Coolant Reservoir constantly remains full, yet the rad always ends up needing me to add more fluid? And i just replaced the radiator last week! Anyone have any ideas?

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
hcorea;1321400 said:

Mine blew at 178K and it seemed great until then. It has nothing to do with miles. I got the radiator replaced alone with water pump and thermostat, then the headgasket. Just make sure that you check for the BHG before you replace anything on the cooling system. Cause if you do have a BHG then you'll be replacing them all over again if you don't fix it

supraphoenix

broke and hating it
Mar 14, 2009
Colorado
87silverbullitt;1322519 said:
i have the opposite problem (kind of)... My Coolant Reservoir constantly remains full, yet the rad always ends up needing me to add more fluid? And i just replaced the radiator last week! Anyone have any ideas?

I would say check the hoses that run from one to the other. It probably isn't balancing the coolant like its supposed to.

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
bad radiator cap silverbullit. it is not venting properly.

i have a similar problem but i dont loose coolant. when i take a corner moderatly hard my light comes on... and my coolant is full in both the radiator and the bottle. i have cleaned the bottle and triple checked the connection...... time for a new bottle/sensor

Aug 15, 2008
Navan, Ontario
fixitman04;1322775 said:
bad radiator cap silverbullit. it is not venting properly.

i have a similar problem but i dont loose coolant. when i take a corner moderatly hard my light comes on... and my coolant is full in both the radiator and the bottle. i have cleaned the bottle and triple checked the connection...... time for a new bottle/sensor

I have thought about that, however, even when the coolant goes down in the rad, the coolant light never comes on? Is this because the sensor is in the overflow tank???

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
87silverbullitt;1323403 said:
I have thought about that, however, even when the coolant goes down in the rad, the coolant light never comes on? Is this because the sensor is in the overflow tank???
yes it is in the bottle.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
87silverbullitt;1323403 said:

Couldn't it be a small leak in the hose from the oerflow to the rad? Allowing air to come in on cool off?