Loose throttle linkage/assembly

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
My throttle linkage is very loose...From what I have found by searching, there are supposed to be two nylon bushings at the top and bottom of the assembly? Well, from what I can see, I have NO bushings, and the assembly is VERY loose, and the gas pedal is hard to push with very little travel, and the CC doesn;t work, because the linkage to it is very loose. What can I do about this? Can I replace the bushings? Or does the whole assembly need to be replaced? Oh, and my car is an 87T 5-Spd.

confusatron

Aug 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
johnathan1 said:

I have a similar problem with mine, one of the bushings is half gone, and I tried tightening the cables with the nuts, but its no use. Still loose. I'd like to hear an answer on this one too.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The whole assembly has to be replaced. The pin holding the 3 linkage pieces through the middle is press fitted and swaged to the base bracket...you have to grind the bracket end off to remove the pin.

That is unless you have access to a welder. You could take it apart and inspect the linkage holes...if they are not too elongated, go to the hardware store and get nylon washers to fit the pin. You want a thin washer between each linkage piece and the bracket. Re assemble and tack weld the pin back in place.

The challenge will be to hold the pin exactly right for the weld, and the spot weld will have to be quick so you don't melt the nylon. A handy bucket of water will help this one ;)

MKThree

Sep 12, 2006
St. Pete, FL
I had a similar problem with my linkage. It was getting harder and harder to push the peddle until one day it got stuck at 2500 rpm. I used a piece of speaker wire wrapped around the top stud to take up the slack of the missing top nylon washer. It worked so good that I just keep an eye on it and replace it when it wears thin.