Looking to buy a new computer....??

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
You apple lovers:love: ...... you all blow my mind. You say its a great computer and all but then..... DONT buy it without the "applecare" cuz it'll probably break and it'll be worth it. :3d_frown: This statement shows that the hardware or software has issues that are extremely difficult to resolve. So....WTF?

Macs are easy to use and set up very simply. This is good and bad.

The good:
A monkey can do most anything on the computer
You wont get outsmarted by the user interface
Oh and you wont get as many, if any spyware/adware/viruses

The bad:
You're extremely limited by what software you can run
You're stuck with EXTREMELY HIGH PRICED REPAIRS AND UPGRADE PARTS
You're basically Apple's bitch when it comes to peripherals (I.E. Mp3 players, Home theatre combo set-ups, and so on...)

I've had a Toshiba laptop for 2 years and its crashed twice. Let me repeat that..... TWICE! Neither case was huge, it turned back on just fine. If any PC permanently fails, simply insert the sytem back-up disc and you're back to normal. I dont know how mac does that but with PC's its pretty easy. Hardware failure happens with any of the devices whether Apple or PC, but with Apple you're stuck with a hefty bill.

If you want to do editing and such the ONLY advantage a Mac has is the interface. And ya, its kinda neat and easy, but its also limiting.

I've used both and can't understand the Apple people. Is a PC really that complicating? Networking and stuff can get tricky, this I fully understand, but for everyday stuff...? I just dont get it.

:aigo: Windows Vista is fucking amazing. It changes the normal PC interface into something that is customizable in sooooo many ways. You'll have so many possibilities with this system.

IN SUMMARY... APPLES ARE FOR THOSE THAT GET EASILY CONFUSED BY A PC AND WANT SOMETHING SIMPLE AND COOL LOOKING AND DONT MIND GETTING STUCK WITH A LARGE BILL AND A MUCH MORE NARROW VIEW OF A COMPUTER.

I'm sure some of the Apple fans will have something to say.... bring it guys.:naughty:

OH ALMOST FORGOT the original point...
I like Toshibas, but they're bad for gaming and editing. Hp has a bunch of good Duo core laptops and desktops aimed at multimedia. Dell sucks balls, Gateway today is awful, Sony is awesome, but way too expensive. My money's on HP or a smaller company like maybe Acer or Conroe

Last edited:

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
suprarx7nut said:
Who wants to waste time designing viruses that will barely get distributed because the amount of PC's used dwarfs Apples?
If people spent more time actually designing them to work on Apples there definitely would be.
Your cons are pretty accurate as well but you have to add is if your computer dies you can't just go out to the store grab a replacement hard drive and be on your way. The Apples are not mod friendly.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
JustAnotherVictim said:
if your computer dies you can't just go out to the store grab a replacement hard drive and be on your way. The Apples are not mod friendly.

JAV
Let me start by saying, "Tanya is my Milf Hooker," thats funny shit. lol

But I must say, we have Apple stores around here, so I think you can just go get parts. Anyway, my point is that I love to Mod my supra, my computer not so much. For the most part, if you buy the Mac set up how you want to begin with, it just works right out of the box, with maybe a system upgrade every few years. simple. my.02

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
suprarx7nut said:
You apple lovers:love: ...... you all blow my mind. You say its a great computer and all but then..... DONT buy it without the "applecare" cuz it'll probably break and it'll be worth it. :3d_frown: This statement shows that the hardware or software has issues that are extremely difficult to resolve. So....WTF?

Macs are easy to use and set up very simply. This is good and bad.

The good:
A monkey can do most anything on the computer
You wont get outsmarted by the user interface

The bad:
You're extremely limited by what software you can run
You're stuck with EXTREMELY HIGH PRICED REPAIRS AND UPGRADE PARTS
You're basically Apple's bitch when it comes to peripherals (I.E. Mp3 players, Home theatre combo set-ups, and so on...)

I've had a Toshiba laptop for 2 years and its crashed twice. Let me repeat that..... TWICE! Neither case was huge, it turned back on just fine. If any PC permanently fails, simply insert the sytem back-up disc and you're back to normal. I dont know how mac does that but with PC's its pretty easy. Hardware failure happens with any of the devices whether Apple or PC, but with Apple you're stuck with a hefty bill.

If you want to do editing and such the ONLY advantage a Mac has is the interface. And ya, its kinda neat and easy, but its also limiting.

I've used both and can't understand the Apple people. Is a PC really that complicating? Networking and stuff can get tricky, this I fully understand, but for everyday stuff...? I just dont get it.

:aigo: Windows Vista is fucking amazing. It changes the normal PC interface into something that is customizable in sooooo many ways. You'll have so many possibilities with this system.

IN SUMMARY... APPLES ARE FOR THOSE THAT GET EASILY CONFUSED BY A PC AND WANT SOMETHING SIMPLE AND COOL LOOKING AND DONT MIND GETTING STUCK WITH A LARGE BILL AND A MUCH MORE NARROW VIEW OF A COMPUTER.

I'm sure some of the Apple fans will have something to say.... bring it guys.:naughty:

OH ALMOST FORGOT the original point...
I like Toshibas, but they're bad for gaming and editing. Hp has a bunch of good Duo core laptops and desktops aimed at multimedia. Dell sucks balls, Gateway today is awful, Sony is awesome, but way too expensive. My money's on HP or a smaller company like maybe Acer or Conroe

I've never had any significant software or hardware issues with my Mac. I personally wouldn't recommend getting AppleCare, because in my opinion it is too expensive for that little but of insurance. My fiancée has worked at an Apple Store and she hates that she is supposed to try and sell AppleCare. She says it's really only worth it if you don't think you are capable of fixing anything on your computer and are also getting a student discount on it.

The only area that Macs are very limited in what software they run is with games. Also, there are a few other select applications that cannot run on Macs. However, now with Boot Camp if you really want to you can install Windows to run this applications. I could say the same thing about PCs because they can't run iLife programs, which have kept me much more organize and productive on my computer. There is also a lot of open source software (free) for the Mac, like NeoOffice (port of OpenOffice) which is compatible with MS Office documents and can also do the OpenDocument format and export to PDF for free.

Apple repairs are not significantly more than other PC manufacturers, and they don't break down as often. There are some things Apple will just fix for free. My mom bought a refurbished Apple laptop and one of the keys popped off. She took it in and they replaced the keyboard for free!

You don't have to buy Apple stuff for MP3 players, home-theater systems, etc. I don't know where you're coming up with this...

I know there are backup solutions for the current version of Mac OS X, but I'm not sure exactly what they are. However in Spring there will be a new version of Mac OS X that will include Time Machine, which is a really awesome back-up type of utility that lets you see exactly how your system was at any point in time.

Everyday stuff is easier and more productive on a Mac, in my opinion.

Apples are not just for people who are stupid to be able to understand things that are more complex. There are just as many complex settings you can play with on a Mac as on a PC. Also, Mac OS X comes with a Unix terminal which is definitely not for non-expert users. I use it all the time for SSH, CVS, etc. Windows is stuck with the MS-DOS command windows which really can't do much of anything. I've seen numerous people in my field (Computer Science) switch to Apple laptops over the last few years. Now in my classes there are more CS people in class with Mac laptops than those with PCs!

[edit] Forgot to mention Vista. Vista is ripping off so much from Mac OS X. Just watch the videos where people have taken the audio from a Vista demo and overlayed it on them doing the exact same thing on their Mac. The biggest downside of Vista is that it will be riddled with DRM. This means it will limit, on purpose, what you can do with your media on the computer. Windows Vista is heavily supporting DRM. Check out this website for more information on DRM: http://www.defectivebydesign.org [/edit]

bwest said:
here - if you like the Mac interface so much, install one of these on your PC

http://www.crystalxp.net/bricopack/en-crystal-clear.htm

Can it do Exposé? If not then it's just eye candy. Exposé is one of the greatest things about the Mac OS X interface that you can't do in Windows. Dashboard is another thing I miss on my PC, but not as much. Mac OS X is much more than a pretty skin...

JustAnotherVictim said:
Who wants to waste time designing viruses that will barely get distributed because the amount of PC's used dwarfs Apples?
If people spent more time actually designing them to work on Apples there definitely would be.
Your cons are pretty accurate as well but you have to add is if your computer dies you can't just go out to the store grab a replacement hard drive and be on your way. The Apples are not mod friendly.

I already mentioned this myth. There are plenty of people working on viruses for the Mac, just to prove it can be done. There results are few and far between, and get patched immediately. The truth is that the Unix architecture that Mac OS X is built on is simply more secure by nature than Windows.

I replaced the RAM on my iBook easily. Apple laptops use the same hard drives as PC laptops. So I can just go out and buy one, put it in, and reinstall Mac OS X from the disk all on my own pretty easily. Same with Apple desktops. Also, the new Mac Pro is just as customizable as a PC in almost every area (video cards, supports up to 16GB of RAM, 4 SATA II hard drive bays, two optical drive bays, etc.). That Apples are not mod friendly is a myth. Sure, you're not going to get one with a window in the side of the case and have neon lights inside, but that's kinda ricerish anyway...

All in all, I would highly recommend going into both regular computer stores and playing with PCs, and then going into an Apple store and playing around with their computers. Apple Store employees don't work on commission, so you don't have to worry about them trying to make you buy one right away. They'll be happy to let you play around, or show you different applications and what you can do on a Mac. At the very least you need to give it a try.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
swaq said:
You don't have to buy Apple stuff for MP3 players, home-theater systems, etc. I don't know where you're coming up with this...

Well I sell mp3 players and help people set-up computer centralized entertainment systems. The only mp3 player that will work with a mac I'm aware of is an iPod. Any other (I.E. Creative Labs, Toshiba, Samsung, Sansa, Zune requires Windows XP.

swaq said:
Everyday stuff is easier and more productive on a Mac, in my opinion.

I agree with this, but I dont think its THAT much easier. At least not enough to overcome the other limitations. And the dashboard thing is pretty cool. Even a mac-hater like me can admit that. I also like the thing that pops up when you click the scoll wheel..... But wait! Its very, very similar to the thing that pops up on my toshiba laptop except with mine I can access almost anything from that cool shortcut.

Apple is good at designing user-interfaces, I'll give em that. But my Toshiba interface also kicks ass!!