Longest trip in your MK3?

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
How far have you taken your MK3 from home? I'd like to take mine on a long trip but I worry about getting stranded with a BHG or something...

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
HAHA!!!! the story of my life on this one.

1100 miles. (one way!)

I live in N.C.

I bought the car in wisconsin.

Been sitting in my garage since, fixing all the 22 year old rubber pieces and misc stuffs.

Needless to say, was a fantastic ride!!

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Several year back I drove my 90T hardtop from Atlanta to Las Vegas and Back = about 3,900+ mile round trip.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
What species motor was in the car for those outback trips? I feel there is a catch...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Denver to Vegas and back. Cruise set at indicated 105mph for 30 consecutive minutes for a few times in the trip. Stock 7mge with 290k miles on its third head gasket.

Best road trip ever.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Nashville to Spokane, the long way. Up through Chicago then to Yellowstone, then up into Montana... Just a few miles shy of 2,500.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
West coast of Canada to Vegas and back, with a bunch of running around in Vegas. Just under 5000km total. Lost my headlights on the way back, had to stop a jury rig a solution for lights. Made it, though.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
I have gone maybe 1200 miles. 85MPH the whole time. As long as you do general maintenance to your car take it. Just bring tools.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Some months after buying my '89NA in 1996, took the car for a highway trip from central Alberta to Tulsa OK. Lost the A/C somewhere in Kansas, and it was really hot down there. This also qualifies for "fastest highway speed" though I don't trust the speedometer that far, the tach did get to 6,500 in 5th. (Stock tires, W58, 4.300:1 differential. You can do the math.) This was while there were "no speed limits" in Montana, on the I-15. (Yeah, I know, "Prudent and reasonable" -- I was being prudent, I didn't overrev my engine. :p )

Trip was 3 days there, 4 days back (Took a longer route for return, and didn't push much over 75mph for most of it.)

aloshan

night ryda
Dec 7, 2010
Sydney, Australia, Australia
jake8790;1797728 said:
How far have you taken your MK3 from home? I'd like to take mine on a long trip but I worry about getting stranded with a BHG or something...

lol wtf ,the 7m's aren't that unreliable and id imagine anyone who has them would of fixed their shortcomings by now , since they know exactly what those shortcomings are! I know I have.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I've had mine over 600 miles from home a few times. My longest trip was Orlando to Chattanooga, back to Orlando for a night, then down to Miami and back to Orlando.

The old 7M hasn't let me down yet. 226k on the factory rings/bearings and she's still ticking along at 12 psi. It's typically the hoses and belts you have to worry about. If those are in good shape and you check your oil at least once every other time you get gas there's not too many worries.

harley1985

Aug 17, 2011
killeen tx
ya for real, this is my second supra and i am still yet to encounter a BHG. my first (which was a 87 N/A) had over 210k in the clock before it stopped working and ran like a champ. even after running it red hot several times due to a bad coolant hose it still ran fine. drove to texas and back from mississippi 2 or 3 times *(800 miles one way) spun a rod in the end and rebuilt it. even used the stock head bolts. ran like a champ never had another problem with it (until i ran it into a wall). i now have a 88 turbo all stock internals and HG from wat i can tell. daily driver and i run her hard in the texas summer. like a member said earlier, just put a felpro with some arps on it, torque it down rite and call it a day, these are actually pretty reliable engines. they are toyotas remember? change the oil, do your upkeep and they will last a long time. i think theyre one of the better built sports cars of the 80s and 90s.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Supra_dan;1797729 said:
HAHA!!!! the story of my life on this one.

1100 miles. (one way!)

I live in N.C.

I bought the car in wisconsin.

Where in WI did you buy the car?

Longest Rd. trip was from home (just north of milwaukee) to detroit. Twice. Once BPU'd 7M, Second time with my current set up, Single 1JZ.
Will be driving the car to TX2K12 this march (1,300 miles one way) We'll see how she holds up :)

Sam