Long crank, smok on startup

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I recently did a head gasket and turbo on my car. Ever since I got ti started it takes a while to start. Before it would fire right up and idle smooth. Now, it takes a couple times and it will idle real rough then smooth out when I give it a little gas. I replaced the head gasket, installed a 57 trim ct, lex afm, 550cc injectors, and bypassed the j-tube. What do you guys think can be going on here?

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Nomad707 said:
dont run your car you will cook it... you need to get a 255LPH fuel pump or better to accompany your mods... or you WILL blow something up.
I didnt even tell you how much boost I was running so how can you come to this conclusion. Im only on 8psi right now and Im not worried. If I was boosting 16psi then I would be worried. Ill jump the fp and B+ this morning to cold start it and see what happens.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I jumped the FP and B+ and it still didnt start right up. It would sputter then die. I opened the TB slightly and it started up like it used to. Im going to check the ISC to make sure its still working correctly.

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
89turbosupra said:
I jumped the FP and B+ and it still didnt start right up. It would sputter then die. I opened the TB slightly and it started up like it used to. Im going to check the ISC to make sure its still working correctly.

Check your Cold Start Injector along with the CSI time switch.

GuNDeZZZ

Was dgilman360
Sep 28, 2006
Lakeland Florida
89turbosupra said:
I didnt even tell you how much boost I was running so how can you come to this conclusion. Im only on 8psi right now and Im not worried. If I was boosting 16psi then I would be worried. Ill jump the fp and B+ this morning to cold start it and see what happens.

You are probilly running lean which will burn a valve or worse

get a walbro 255

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
dgilman360 said:
You are probilly running lean which will burn a valve or worse

get a walbro 255
I have a walbro on the way I have only seen boost once or twice. I am aware of what will happen if I push it on the stock pump. Im just trying to get it running right.

skim1040

work in progress
89turbosupra said:

How much boost your running has nothing to do with your idle :)

If your boosting 8 pounds at idle...your a genius

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Yes the smoke was a white-bluish but it smelled like it was running rich. I drove it yesterday and it smoked a little but not as much when I didn't drive it for a week. During the day it was hot and it started fine with no smoke, but when I started it up after it got cold in the night it hesitated to start with no smoke but not as bad as in the morning.

arod

7MGTE
Mar 25, 2007
Bayamon, Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico
89turbosupra said:
Yes the smoke was a white-bluish but it smelled like it was running rich. I drove it yesterday and it smoked a little but not as much when I didn't drive it for a week. During the day it was hot and it started fine with no smoke, but when I started it up after it got cold in the night it hesitated to start with no smoke but not as bad as in the morning.

My car is doing the same thing. I was told that the valve seals are worn. When the car sits for a couple of days the oil that is on the cylinder head passes thru the worn valve seals because of gravity and it accumulates on the combustion chamber. That is why it is so hard to start when cold and when it starts it smokes a white-bluish colored cloud.
Like some say here
white-bluish smoke=burning oil
black smoke=running rich
white smoke=burning coolant (Probably BHG)

My advice is to change the valve stem seals if you havent done so.

If you want to do the job yourself here are a couple of threads that explain how to change the valve seals without removing the cylinder head. Search and you will find them.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I know its the valve seals causing the smoke which sucks because my head was supposedly rebuilt 4k miles ago. I dont think the valve seals are causing it to hard start. My nova has had bad seals for a while now and it will always fire right up.