little problem is turning HUGE

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Supracentral;907059 said:
This is true. Driving a 20 year old turbocharged sports car from a bygone era isn't the the road to economy.

However I would have suggested a Civic.

Civic works too. Whatever it is it needs to be light, low displacement and boring enough to resist the urge to tinker with it too much.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Hook a little zapper up to your gas pedal. Hit positive boost, get shocked. Above 30% throttle, get shocked.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
My supra is my dd and i'm getting about 22-23 average and thats about 70% highway driving and 30% city driving. As far as mods go the car has a K&N intake,megan downpipe,3" catless exhaust and lower hard pipes. The trick is to keep it out of boost,accellerate slowley, don't ride the brakes,and keep your rpm's low when you drive.

btw the cars has a manual tranny

JAB89

Supramania Contributor
Mar 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If you really want to maximize your MPG try keeping the VACUUM side of that boost gauge as high as you possibly can at all times. A vacuum gauge is actually a very sensitive MPG indicator.

But then, if you are going to do this, why have a turbocharged Supra as your DD?

JASONA70

nomnomnom
Oct 27, 2006
socal
super.secret.supra.club;907278 said:
now is that premium or regular?

regular, i live in the same area as he does.

edit: shame on you justin, you should be filling up premium.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
JASONA70;907401 said:
edit: shame on you justin, you should be filling up premium.

Why? I think it's a waste of money to if you're N/A. I just fill it up with plus (89) now, and have been considering regular (87).

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Actually, regular is probably the best gas you can put in it(depending on amount of modifications, etc.). Search for gasoline related threads, and you'll find some of the smarter people here explaining why.

I.E.: I've done enough to my motor(n/a), that I have to run 89 octane. It has detonation issues with 87 octane. I changed the timing a few degrees to compensate so I don't have to run 93 octane.

http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm This has some general(stock application) information about gasoline, and there are more links at the bottom.

There are better explanations here(on SM) that deal with modifying your vehicle and which gasoline to use, if you search a bit...

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
you guys have extremely cheap gas and still complain? Buy a small car like Yaris, Civic, Golf or something from that category and keep Supra as a weekend car. Wait till you reach prices that are currently in EU, where 1 litter cost's from 1.50usd per litter to even 2.50... :)

Supra's are not eco in any form, and they are not even supposed to be so and there is nothing you can do about it :)

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
ViR2;907472 said:
you guys have extremely cheap gas and still complain? Buy a small car like Yaris, Civic, Golf or something from that category and keep Supra as a weekend car. Wait till you reach prices that are currently in EU, where 1 litter cost's from 1.50usd per litter to even 2.50... :)

Supra's are not eco in any form, and they are not even supposed to be so and there is nothing you can do about it :)

Geo Metro FTW...lol

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The advice on using regular fuel is spot on especially if N/A. So is the advice on first making sure the engine is working right ie, clean air filter and injectors, good ignition, in fuel control, etc. After that you can adjust your driving habits. Might want to adjust your living habits too or get a better job. Having more disposable income makes fuel prices moot...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
jetjock;907512 said:
The advice on using regular fuel is spot on especially if N/A. So is the advice on first making sure the engine is working right ie, clean air filter and injectors, good ignition, in fuel control, etc. After that you can adjust your driving habits. Might want to adjust your living habits too or get a better job. Having more disposable income makes fuel prices moot...
The people who own Supras and bitch about fueling them undoubtedly spend ludicrous amounts of money on other crap they don't need on a daily basis; making the point moot from the start. It's OK though, everyone does it so much they don't even notice... so it becomes a legitimate gripe between sheep.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
My DD gets 55mpg but only has 72hp:icon_cry: Untill recently I have been DDing the Supra but the milage I do and the price of fuel in the UK means its on fun duty now. Was putting on average £320 a month in or about $640