little problem is turning HUGE

Atsushi7mgte

Sep 26, 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
what kind of gas mileage do you guys get on your supras??

i get around 15-16 mpg and fill up about twice a week and gas in hawaii is killer 3.50 a gal for premium...

you guys got any gas saving tips besides driving more conservative? i drive pretty conservative most of the time to try and save gas but in hawaii its just to much stop and go and rarely do you get open roads...

its getting to a point where idk how much longer i can keep this up. i already downgraded to plus which is still like 3.45ish.

my friends had 2 KA 240s and with a dohc he got 26 mpg and with the sohc he gets like 30!!! right now thats sounding pretty damn good to me haha wont be able to win much races but eating regularly would be nice hahaha

Atsushi7mgte

Sep 26, 2007
Oahu, Hawaii
oh andi forgot to mention i dont even have that many mods...
just 3" turbo back w/no cats and apexi muf
apexi intake
and boost controller/gauge

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Psh $3.50.. We are paying more then that here in NorCal. To save gas.. Drive out of boost more. Also if you can afford tuning the car it sometimes helps with gas too.

robhojy

Dec 19, 2007
swazzy,land
you think you guys got it bad its £1.10 a litre in the U.K, or £4.95 a gallon with the exchange rate at $1.9 to the £1 that would be:roughly $9.40 a gallon

now cry about fuel prices

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
you are comparing a 3 liter turbo engine to a couple of 2.4 liter 4 bangers, of course you are going to get shittier mileage. Quit bitching about fuel prices as well - I just filled up my dd for $1.09/litre of premium. $3.50/gal is equivalent to 0.93/litre, and I live at the source of the oil. Also, what are you saving by downgrading to plus...like 80 cents a tank?

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
With stop and go driving, your numbers are spot on. I highly doubt you will improve on this with what you drive.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
RazoE;906763 said:
shift earlier, and quit stepping on it...

I just replaced my fucked up 02 sensor, and my mileage is greatly improving...

I don't even have a O2 sensor :D
Though I can't get over 16mpq city (mine's N/A), but as I just started driving Supra, I'm a bit spirited sometimes ;)

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
Well , newer car is new technology better gas mileage and older car older technology use more gas . As toyota said 23-24 mpg high way and that's new car , with older car 21-24 mpg high way is normal . It's also depend on how well your car is , if pistons and valves wore out the mpg even worse , the best you can do is do a tune up check air filter , spark plugs ,check oxygen sensor use best oil that can save you gas like toyota said . some time too thick oil grade is bad for gas mileage and also bad for turbo . In city it's all depend on your right foot , the higher rpm the less gas mileage as toyota said , but sometime too low rpm is bad for clutch , transmision and might be engine .Boost leaks also bad on gas mileage .:icon_bigg

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Be lighter on throttle, stay out of boost, and overall drive more conservative. That's all you can do. If anything just buy a secondary car :)

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
The day I give a shit about the fuel mileage on my Supra is the same day it is for sale. Supra's are not efficient DD's...you want MPG buy a Geo.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
getting about 16 to 11 MPG. i drive a lot at work and fill up once, sometimes 2 times a day. a couple of months ago i was filling up at $60 per tank. now (thank god for the prices in sd) im filling up at about 45 per tank.

the cool part about it is my work reimburses me for the miles i put on my car. still $40 dollars a day is a killer. ooo yah, i work 6 to 7 days a week. with the SAFC i tune lean witch helps with the gas.

ed.d.

Last edited:

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Sawbladz;906971 said:
The day I give a shit about the fuel mileage on my Supra is the same day it is for sale. Supra's are not efficient DD's...you want MPG buy a Geo.

This is true. Driving a 20 year old turbocharged sports car from a bygone era isn't the the road to economy.

However I would have suggested a Civic.