lean out at 2600-2700

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
And, not having the EGR increases the likelihood of mid-throttle detonation under heavy engine load (like going up a steep grade). The USDM ECU is tuned for it...you can decrease the chance of this happening by adding additional fuel with your SFAC, but then you end up with exactly what figgie said, but worse.

They make EGR block off plates in order to get your $$$ ;)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Rennat;1114019 said:
and isnt the EGR closed under WOT anyways?

on the stock TCCS, correct.

Lets just say that the OEMs are figuring creative ways to make the HP they make and still pass emissions AND get better gas mileage, thanks in no part to the EGR system.

Yes the EGR is that cruicial.

From my post

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1096994&postcount=17

and from mahle (parent company of Cosworth Engines).

http://www.mahle.com/C125713200619F8F/CurrentBaseLink/W276SEUW250MARSEN

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
figgie;1114022 said:
on the stock TCCS, correct.

Lets just say that the OEMs are figuring creative ways to make the HP they make and still pass emissions AND get better gas mileage, thanks in no part to the EGR system.

Yes the EGR is that cruicial.

PS.

Racing is starting to use it more also because of the much needed bump in distance per liter/gallons without effecting HP. ;)

the more i actually LEARN about how stuff works, the more it makes sense... especially the EGR... same power, better mpg, and reduced emissions under normal driving... toyota was pretty smart. still cant figure out why they fucked up the head torque so bad though :biglaugh:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
In a general sense, yes. In terms of peak HP, it will depend if the respective ECU cut the EGR off prior to WOT.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
jdub;1114038 said:
In a general sense, yes. In terms of peak HP, it will depend if the respective ECU cut the EGR off prior to WOT.

makes sense... not every car is the same. but the logic behind EGR is... i'll be sure to pass the knowledge onto my friends who think blocking off EGR gives them 'hella more power' hahaha

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
jdub

A thought occured to me.

If you (not you but these youngins) do remove the EGR. Anywhere were toyota tuned the ECU to compensate for the EG to displace air would mean if you remove the EG and insert air, the ECU is still expecting EG gas to be displacing part of the injested air, which mean, LEANER than it needs as now there is more O2 present, which means even HIGHER propensity of detonation!

***Are you kids paying attention!!***

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
And that's why you keep hearing me make this statement over and over and over...

jdub;1114007 said:
And, not having the EGR increases the likelihood of mid-throttle detonation under heavy engine load (like going up a steep grade). The USDM ECU is tuned for it...

You can get around it, but you'll be doomed to running rich throughout the RPM range.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Supra87T;1114085 said:
So, that means if you have a JDM engine (no egr) you cannot use the USDM ecu, correct?

Oh no. You can. What will likely happen though is that you will pop the motor in no time flat if you do as that light load detonation will be constant.

7mgt45r

7mgt45r
Sep 23, 2007
ATLANTA, GEORGIA
jdub;1114196 said:
Besides, it's very easy to transfer the various EGR parts to a JDM motor.

jdub,yo this 7mgt45r did what you told me and i'm still getting that lean spot between 2600-2700. i put egr valve bck in and both vsv's

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
7mgt45r;1116594 said:
jdub,yo this 7mgt45r did what you told me and i'm still getting that lean spot between 2600-2700. i put egr valve bck in and both vsv's

are the VSV in working order? Have the vacuum tubing routed correctly? Make sure the EGR valve was not stuck?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...let's start over. With the car idling, does the fuel pressure increase when you remove the vac line attached to the AFPR?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...that's good ;)

You have your fuel pump running directly off battery 12V, triggered by the stock wiring through a relay in the trunk now...correct?

How old is the fuel pump and is it a "real" (not a Chinese copy) Walbro?

Have you tried to increase fuel pressure on the AFPR?

How are AFR's outside (both sides) the 2600-2700 RPM stumble you are experiencing?