Kosh's 1jz build...check it out!!

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Hey all,
I'm starting this thread now cause i finally got my car to the point that it can now drive on the road, but there is still tons of work to be done.

For the story: I had been looking at getting a car ever since my last supra died(7M-ge). Although i loved the supra so much i wanted to get a lil 240 and swap an sr-20 cause i wanted a cheap drift car. However, it started to look like that was gunna cost me so i decided to look at other options. I then thought about swapping a 1j into my old shell. In the process of looking for an engine i came across a car with the 1j swap already done and it just needed a few more parts and work. So i picked it up for $2200 CAD. Thats the car i have now.

Its a 1987 Turbo Targa, with the 1jz-gte swapped in. When i picked it up there was no exhaust, blown turbos, no intercooler, no windshield wipers, no seatbelts, no hood latch, leaky gas tank, none of the electronics worked(power seats, windows, etc..), the seats weren't bolted down, and the entire interior was sitting in the trunk.

Lol so i've had my work cut out for me lately, In the last week i have installed new twins(which turns out they may have leaky seals too :S), factory intercooler, full BIC 3" DP, 3" test pipe, and 3 1/2" cat back. I got the seats and seat belts in and bolted down. New headlights installed, windshield wipers, TRD shift knob with short throw shifter, and a few other things i can't think of right now.

I now have a few things to concentrate on now:
1) i have an electrical leak that is constantly draining my battery when the car is not on.
2) I need to hook up my power steering, i have the adapter hose but i have no idea what to do. What hoses go where etc, i need help with this please. Anyone know how to hook it up?
3) I have a new gas tank to install to fix the leaky problem.

Anyways thats all i can think of right now so if anyone does know how to help me out with the PS your heklp is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Hope you find my car an interesting lil project.

PS total tab so far including car is ~ $4500 CAD

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
Sounds like a cool project. I'm not sure but I think that hose runs to the passenger side and back, but don't take my word on it. Search and you will find it. Where are the pics?

Dr Tweak

To trace out the battery drain, disconnect one of the battery cables and then put a test light between it and the terminal. Then start pulling fuses, one by one, until the test light goes off. That will narrow down the circuit to find the problem. Once you get that narrowed down, you can unplug one part of the circuit at a time to track down where the actual problem is. You'll want some diagrams.

Hope that helps!

-Doc

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Dr Tweak said:
To trace out the battery drain, disconnect one of the battery cables and then put a test light between it and the terminal. Then start pulling fuses, one by one, until the test light goes off. That will narrow down the circuit to find the problem. Once you get that narrowed down, you can unplug one part of the circuit at a time to track down where the actual problem is. You'll want some diagrams.

Hope that helps!

-Doc

Am i supposed to be looking for the circuit where the light goes off or lights up? I would think it would be where it lights up cause then i know theres a current running through it?

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Tgood said:
Sounds like a cool project. I'm not sure but I think that hose runs to the passenger side and back, but don't take my word on it. Search and you will find it. Where are the pics?

I had just transfered all my pics and vid to my computer, and was ready to upload them when my comp crashed and my hard drive died. I will be able to recover the pics but until i get my comp back on line(hopefully soon) i will not have any pics....sorry guys!

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Update:

Over the weekend i swapped out my cracked leaky gas tank with my new one!!! Yay no more leaking gas at the gas station and having to carry a fire extinguisher with me everywhere i go.

now i'm on to the smaller tasks. Unfortunately though, in the process of replacing the gas tank i noticed a lot of oil on the surface of my diff. And driving it today it sounded like i could kinda hear grinding at the higher rpm's. My buddy said it looks like the front seal on the diff is gone and i'm prolly running very low on oil in it. I agree, so i need to take a look at it. Any suggestions?

as for the smaller stuff that needs to be done here's a list:
-Get the power steering running(I need a tensioner pully and serpentine belt, where can i get these?)
-fix/replace the signal light switch
-fix the gas tank gauge
-fix the speedometer(it doesn't work, i think its just not hooked up...does anyone know how to do this???)
-fix the oil pressure gauge(i bought the adapter off of driftmotion but have absolutely no idea what to do with it lol...help?)
-replace clutch and bearings
-properly mount IC
-fully bolt in the tranny.(there are 3 bolts missing from the underside...pretty ghey if you ask me....man the guy i bought this car off of really left a lot to be done)

Thats all i can think of right now...

Dr Tweak

Kosh said:
Am i supposed to be looking for the circuit where the light goes off or lights up? I would think it would be where it lights up cause then i know theres a current running through it?

If the light is on when you begin the test, then that tells you that you do have a battery drain. When you pull a fuse and the light goes out, then you have narrowed the drain down to the circuit of whatever fuse you just pulled. Make sense?

-Doc

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Dr Tweak said:
If the light is on when you begin the test, then that tells you that you do have a battery drain. When you pull a fuse and the light goes out, then you have narrowed the drain down to the circuit of whatever fuse you just pulled. Make sense?

-Doc

ok ic i gotcha. So connect the light to the 2 battery terminals and then start pulling fuses. Thnx. Although now i'm convinced that i have a realy bad ground....

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Update!!
I finally uploaded my build pics. Here is my new beauty!!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

For more pics goto my photobucket album:
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/bagirard/dirty001.jpg

Thanks for checkin out my ride. I don't expect many more updates until next summer when i plan to throw on some suspension and rims.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Thnx for the comments! I love the Full BIC exhaust. Its everything i thought it would be and more. As for the sleeper status...hell yeah!! HAHAHA its so dirty i haven't had the chance to wash it yet, but the car it in really good condition, it just needs paint.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Thanks for the comments guys! And as TaSe has already offered i would love any comments or info anyone has reguarding any of my issues. And if anyone in alberta or edmonton area wants to helkp me out i would be very appreciative. I'm also trying to find out the place in town to get my car up on a hoist and a good area to work on it. Its hard swapping tubos in a parking lot...lol....

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
10secdream said:
I only got my supra 2 months before winter so in the spring I will probably be more active with the club.
Me too! I bought it in august and actually picked it up in late September. Although it is my second supra, it's my first turbo ever!! How u liking the life of a supra owner so far? i remember my first, i was in love lmao....this one not so much yet...it's been more of a PITA but once i get her runnin good she'll be purdy!!