Knocking sound when I turn while driving?

rstallworth

Jan 27, 2006
Virginia
Hey guys- My car has a soft knocking rattle sound coming from the front right side wheel of my Supra when I take a turn. Any ideas?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
yea, not to thread jack or anything, but I have a similar problem...

mine makes knocking sounds when I go over bumps from the front driver side, and at idle sitting still... almost like the vibration from the engine is causing something to rattle, and It gets louder when I go over a big bump...

Also, It makes an intermittent grinding noise, like: rub.........rub.........rub..........rub and increases with speed(not RPM), and gets louder i believe with right turns...

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Check and see if your fenderwells are secure. One of my retaining screws fell out and when I would turn the plastic fenderwell would hit the tire and bounce off causing a "thumping" sound.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
maybe check the lower ball joints also. my roomies car is having this problem now and just waiting to get the replacements in to fix it.

rstallworth

Jan 27, 2006
Virginia
mkIIIman089 said:
Which turn direction? If its a left hand turn, I'd say wheel bearing.

Mostly it happens when I am taking a left hand turn. Do you know of any "how to" places where I can learn to replace the wheel bearing myself?

Thanks for everyone's help!

d3fc0n

Jan 14, 2006
Macon, GA
rstallworth said:
Mostly it happens when I am taking a left hand turn. Do you know of any "how to" places where I can learn to replace the wheel bearing myself?

Thanks for everyone's help!

I had a very similar problem with my 87. The guy who did the brakes for me didn't put the two retaining clips, strange shaped metal pieces that fit inbeween the brake pads and the rotor, nor did he attach the two tension springs (funny wishbone shaped spring that fits into the holes at the top and bottom of the brake pads).

After I removed the pads and installed the anti-rattle kit, when I go over bumps or run the engine at idle I nolonger get the metal clainking/rattle sound.

I hope that's all it is!

___
Larry