Knock sensor (help)

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
That plug on the left of the first pic is the knock sensor plug with the broken remains of the knock sensor. This is exactly how ALL of the older sensors break. In that very spot. I prefer to replace that one with the new style and get the connector to go with. I have actually even used the broken piece off of the old sensor with the new pigtail and made an adapter pigtail so that I don't have to cut the engine wiring harness to use the newer sensor. If you decide to go this route, make sure that you don't tie the shielding lead into the signal wire. There are two leads in the wire shaped like a coaxial cable (one inside another) the inner wire is for the signal, the outer is just a shield. Use only the middle wire in this case.
As for that other connector... I am not sure what that is. I don't have a turbo car so I cannot be for sure.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
suprahilux said:
That plug on the left of the first pic is the knock sensor plug with the broken remains of the knock sensor. This is exactly how ALL of the older sensors break. In that very spot. I prefer to replace that one with the new style and get the connector to go with. I have actually even used the broken piece off of the old sensor with the new pigtail and made an adapter pigtail so that I don't have to cut the engine wiring harness to use the newer sensor. If you decide to go this route, make sure that you don't tie the shielding lead into the signal wire. There are two leads in the wire shaped like a coaxial cable (one inside another) the inner wire is for the signal, the outer is just a shield. Use only the middle wire in this case.
As for that other connector... I am not sure what that is. I don't have a turbo car so I cannot be for sure.
Thanks even thugh it's going to be a bear to find another supra in the junkyard... If you know any other members with a turbo could you please have them identify what that connector is?

ma70torres

Too Boost and Beyond!!!
Dec 3, 2006
Lynwood, CA
SUPRASTEVE said:
Okay, the one with the metal wire sticking out is the knock sensor or whats left of it. The other one i still don't even know my self. :icon_bigg
get the part# from here... www.cygnusx1.net

Hope I helped....

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
You only need to find a toyota that runs a knock sensor. If it is old enough, it will have the same one as yours.
nope, I am new here and don't know anyone with a 7mgte. I will be going NA>T. But will not use the stock electronics.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
SUPRASTEVE said:
instead of going like this woooooooooooopahhhhhhhh
its now like this woooooooooooopawawawaaaaaa

That sounds like compressor surge, a faulty knock sensor wont affect the inlet sound. It will just make the car sluggish on boost because it retards timing.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
SUPRASTEVE said:
this sucks somebody told me that i lost boost because when the car hits 3000rpms the engine light turns on and the turbo seems a little slugish and the intake sounds funny
instead of going like this woooooooooooopahhhhhhhh
its now like this woooooooooooopawawawaaaaaa

I had the same thing happen with a broken knock sensor. The engine would idle fine, but when I revved it up to 3000rpm, the check engine light came on and ran like crap . This is the computer realizing that there is no signal from the KS. So is reverts to a 'limp mode' and signals you that something is wrong. Cover the basics before assuming something even more major is wrong, like compressor surge.

Do you have the stock turbo or an upgrade?

Oh, I also remember that when my KS went out, it threw a code for the TPS as well until I fixed the KS.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
suprahilux said:
I had the same thing happen with a broken knock sensor. The engine would idle fine, but when I revved it up to 3000rpm, the check engine light came on and ran like crap . This is the computer realizing that there is no signal from the KS. So is reverts to a 'limp mode' and signals you that something is wrong. Cover the basics before assuming something even more major is wrong, like compressor surge.

Oh, I also remember that when my KS went out, it threw a code for the TPS as well until I fixed the KS.

Sweet so know all i have to do is find another KS hmmm is there any place that sells them new besides maybe the dealer..

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Hey guys so just to be clear will the 7M-GTE work with the 7M-GE knock sensor?
Autozone sells the sensor for 150 but why do that when I can take it from the junk yard

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Look for the Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) sticker on the firewall.

It looks something like this, although this is a newer OBD2 one.

Attachments

• obd_sticker.gif
    obd_sticker.gif
    33.9 KB · Views: 9

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
suprahilux said:

I just have a stock ct26 so all i have to do is fix the knock sensor and everything should be more or less normal and yeah it did the same with the tps code

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Bringing this issue back up again.
So if I get the sensor and plug it in and reset the ecu the car should be running again?
Also that other plu my question still isn't answered I live in california and someone said only california supras have that so does anything need to be connected to it?