Knock sensor (help)

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Well I think the knock sensor is bad on my 7m-gte
maybe the only symptoms I have with it is that the check engine light is on and that the codes are 53 and 54
and that the turbo acts wierd as soon as you hit 3000rpms also thats when the light turns on.
I am going to the junkyard this weekend and I was wondering where can I locate the knock sensor and can the knock sensor be used off a 7m-ge or does it have to be a 7m-gte?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Not that it's going to help but:

Code 53: ECU knock control fault.

1) ECU

Code 54: Intercooler ECU Signal.

1) Intercooler coolant level low.

2) Coolant level sensor circuit.

3) Intercooler water pump circuit.

4) Intercooler ECU circuit.

5) Intercooler ECU.

6) TCCS ECU.

I'll leave you to guess what engine that code is from...

91 mK3

Laaaaaaag
Aug 22, 2006
Hayward, Bay Area
there are two knock sensors. one right below the manifold and one a little above th starter. good luck, i hope your hand are flexible. maybe you shoudl do your knock snesor rewire while your at it

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
91 mK3 said:
there are two knock sensors. one right below the manifold and one a little above th starter. good luck, i hope your hand are flexible. maybe you shoudl do your knock snesor rewire while your at it

HAHAHA yup it sucks going under there we had to change the starter and I think we broke the knock sensor down there... there was a wire down there that came apart =( so yeah it will suck!
Thanks can I get the knock sensor from the 7m-ge or does it have to be turbo

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
91 mK3 said:
im not sure about that but i would stick with the 7m-gte just to be on the safe side.

this sucks somebody told me that i lost boost because when the car hits 3000rpms the engine light turns on and the turbo seems a little slugish and the intake sounds funny
instead of going like this woooooooooooopahhhhhhhh
its now like this woooooooooooopawawawaaaaaa
my intake is a kandn fipk it works pretty good
also it kinda ran better without the my new mass air flow sensor
because before my sensor broke and long story short it keep wanting to die idle would be ruff and we would have black smoke but when we ran it it ran great the check engine light would go away and it ran hard but now its the opposite the cars turbo runs like crap but the idle is fine and when it runs hard it hesitates.
I dunno what to do

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
jetjock said:
Code 54: Intercooler ECU Signal.

1) Intercooler coolant level low.

2) Coolant level sensor circuit.

3) Intercooler water pump circuit.

4) Intercooler ECU circuit.

5) Intercooler ECU.

6) TCCS ECU.

I'll leave you to guess what engine that code is from...

Celica alltrac.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
soapra said:
So it looks like you have to(code 52) rewire or change the knock sensors and (code 51) calibrate the TPS unless your AC was on wile you check the codes.
No my AC wasn't on i think i know what it means since it only has one speed (HI)
as for the TPS ummm what should I calibrate it to?

91 mK3

Laaaaaaag
Aug 22, 2006
Hayward, Bay Area
it has to be you knock sensors because i had the same issues. at wide open throttle, the car would boost a little, hesistate and lot and then have a massive boost.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Toyota made two different knock sensors. One with a round plug that they used on cars in the late 80s to early 90s (certain models) like the mk3. They then changed the design because they kept breaking at the plug. The newer sensor has the same threads and housing, but different plug. These hold up a lot better and they work exactly the same and are much easier to come by. I changed my knock sensor to the new one (after the old one broke) and the engine operates like usual. If you go with the newer one, you can usually get the pigtail off of the car it was on.
As for the 7mge ks vs 7mgte ks, they are identical in operation.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
suprahilux said:
Toyota made two different knock sensors. One with a round plug that they used on cars in the late 80s to early 90s (certain models) like the mk3. They then changed the design because they kept breaking at the plug. The newer sensor has the same threads and housing, but different plug. These hold up a lot better and they work exactly the same and are much easier to come by. I changed my knock sensor to the new one (after the old one broke) and the engine operates like usual. If you go with the newer one, you can usually get the pigtail off of the car it was on.
As for the 7mge ks vs 7mgte ks, they are identical in operation.

Hmm so you can actually use the 7m-ge on the gte?
Thanks thats sounds pretty good I will take a pic of the sensor looks like pics will be up on the 15th of July expect them to be on about 1pm.
(A picture says a thousand words) :evil2:

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Is this the knock sensor? and what is that plug next to it?
p681834_1.jpg

p681834_2.jpg

p681834_3.jpg