Knock Knock??? HELP :(

RaiderRC

Dec 11, 2005
Beaverton
Okay so i guess my engine may have a knock. At about 2000 ish RPMs when i am coasting i heard kinda of a knock. It's been going on for a few months. Well today the noise got really loud. At like 1500 rpms. So If it is the bottom end what should I do with the 7MGE? Rebuild the bottom or get a new bottom end. I just had head work done. Should i just replace the entire engine? I had good compression like 160 in every cylinder about 3 weeks ago. What would be the most cost efficent way?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
The most cost efficient way would be to pull the engine, drop the pan. Unbolt the rods and mains and inspect for damage. If there is no damage to any of the rotating components, buy new bearings and install, using assembly lube.

RaiderRC

Dec 11, 2005
Beaverton
supra90turbo said:
The most cost efficient way would be to pull the engine, drop the pan. Unbolt the rods and mains and inspect for damage. If there is no damage to any of the rotating components, buy new bearings and install, using assembly lube.

Do i have to pull the engine out??? The engine is in a lifted truck so i have alot of access to the bottom of the engine

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It's better to take it out, then you can have it on a stand, which I prefer.
You can leave it in the truck, though. You can even leave the crank in the engine.

With the engine running, speed it up to where it knocks. Then, pull a spark plug wire or injector clip one at a time, listening for the knock to go away. Replace the wire/plug before you go onto the next cylinder. Whichever cylinder you pull the wire/plug off of and the knock goes away, that's the faulty bearing.

Once you figure out which rod is knocking, get under the truck, drain the oil and remove the pan. Pull the rod cap off the correct one and replace that bearing.

This isn't something I would do, but this is cheap as hell, and will work.

RaiderRC

Dec 11, 2005
Beaverton
Thanks... the problem is I'm at college, and the truck is 100 miles away from its normal shop all i have is 151pc tool box and no real decent shop tools... so do you think it can be done? or do i need presses and such

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
shouldnt be hard at all... there arent any special tools realy that you would need. Only thing i would suggest is to borrow or buy a torque wrench if you dont have one. And keep in mind that autozone and advance auto parts rents out tools FOR FREE!!! so use it if you need.

also, I wouldnt suggest swapping in a bearing. If by chance it does work it will not for long. If you just need it to get home you might be able to limp it there like that, but if ur gonna do it, do it right. get the crank reground if possible or get a new crank. Advance auto sells a crank shaft and bearing kit for the 7m for under 300. Also measure the rod caps to make sure it hasnt worn down too much. put new bearing and crank seals and the few gaskets that you come across.

I mean you can risk it if you want, but since you also have head work done and you know that you have good compression, doing this right would ensure that you are going to have a nice strong motor.

RaiderRC

Dec 11, 2005
Beaverton
Okay so today I went outside and pulled the plugs and when I pulled the 3rd cylinder... the noise went away... So what does that mean and since there are no real specility tools, you guys think i could do it out in the parking lot? And what all do i have to measuer and make sure the crank is okay? Is there a place i can take it that will inspec it for cheap?

RaiderRC

Dec 11, 2005
Beaverton
I have never torn into the bottom end of an engine... what all happens when you take the oil pan off... Do i have to take more then the oil pan off?