just wondering...

BoondockzMk3

Jul 20, 2008
Santa Rosa Ca
I just bought my mk3, its got about 50k on engine and tranny, its BURNING through oil tho, i dont think its leaking, but its drinking a considerable amount, whats up with that bad piston rings? And ive been wondering what should my oil pressure be its around 13-17 pounds per thousand rpms, how much pressure is to much? advice appreceated, Any tips on maintaining my engine that only a supra veteran would know?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
BoondockzMk3;1106374 said:
I just bought my mk3, its got about 50k on engine and tranny, its BURNING through oil tho, i dont think its leaking, but its drinking a considerable amount, whats up with that bad piston rings? And ive been wondering what should my oil pressure be its around 13-17 pounds per thousand rpms, how much pressure is to much? advice appreceated, Any tips on maintaining my engine that only a supra veteran would know?
Are you sure it only has 50k on it? I had 125k on mine never used a drop.
What's your plugs look like, have you done a compression test or leak down test?

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
BoondockzMk3;1106374 said:

Bad valve stem seals seem to be common on the 7MGE. You may want to start looking into this. My little bros Supra burned almost three quarts of oil in two weeks of driving and blew up his motor. Does it take awhile to start the car in the morning? If so, this may indicate bad valve stem seals. Whatever you do, DO NOT let this motor run low on oil - EVER, Good luck!

BoondockzMk3

Jul 20, 2008
Santa Rosa Ca
ya the first start of the day allways takes like 3-4 extra seconds to turn over.. Ive been obsessivly checking my oil like 2 times a day, its wierd tho it hasent seemed to have lost any oil in the past 3 days, cince i changed over to royal purple...

626na

Banned
Jan 15, 2008
cali
my car was throwing a lot of white smoke(coolant) when i drove it and it overheated. I didnt drive it for 2 weeks and today i started it and it drove fine wtf?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
when i try to turn my car over in the mornings or after its been sitting for a while it takes a couple of tries. sometimes i have to give it a little gas to get it to fire, and when it starts i get whitish-gray smoke out of the tail.

anyone have an idea what could be going on?

BoondockzMk3

Jul 20, 2008
Santa Rosa Ca
like someone previoulsy posted, id bet a bad valve stem seal(s), or piston rings, i think white smoke is coolant, and black is oil, id say smoke on startup would be oil left in the cylinder being burnt off on startup, have a compression test done