just spun a bearing so definatly wanna go 1j but i need more info on the swap

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
ok i know its can be easiers to buy a front clip but i dont have 2700-3000 to spend on it and plus i have nowhere to store a front clip. so im pretty much decided to buy a motor and tranny with wiring harness and ecu. my question is what is neccicary to do this swap now. obviously i kno i gotta pull the motor buy the BIC adaptors and for the connectors behind the dash that need to be changed, dont that make some type of adaptors or sub connectors that make it compatable for the use of 7m connectors? i think im gonna just forget about the hydro fans and use electric ones as well. is there anything else im missing? i know there must be alot but i've never dont this swap and before i run out there and buy the motor i wanna know what im gettin myself into. like i said i kno it would make it easier to buy a front clip but i just dont have the extra up front cash to buy it nor do i have a place to store a front clip.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
If you don't have enough money to buy a clip, don't even bother trying to attempt a swap.

If you need your car running ASAP like you said you did in your other thread, trying to complete a 1J swap from an engine set with just an engine, trans, ecu, and harness is setting yourself up for failure.

This advice was given in your other thread. You should really mull it over.

bigaaron said:
I have had 5 people so far this month call me because they bought a 1jz engine set from someone who said it would work in a Supra and they were wondering why the harness is different then the Supra and how they didn't get a map sensor or ignitor. Don't get duped into buying a Soarer engine and thinking it will drop right in to a Supra. Don't buy a Supra engine set with a cut harness, the harnesses new are going for over $500. Harnesses, ecu's, map sensors, and ignitors are getting harder to find and more expensive each day. Do yourself a favor and buy a Supra clip, reguardless of who you get it from. You will save money and headaches in the end.

I do the 1jz adaptor harnesses for $100 now, but that is only labor, you need to supply the connectors from the clip dash wiring, and the dash connectors from your old 7m engine harness with at least 12" of wire attached.

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
One big thing you need to do is have your wiring harness extended once you get the motor and Ecu. The harness is not long enough for the american spec Supras. Plus you have to find someone to do that for you. Someone local would be best but if you can't find someone local, then you'll have to send the harness out to be done. That gets a bit expensive. Maybee you can find someone to do it on this forum. That would be my largest concern. If you feel you have a good amount of mechanical ability and confidence then go for it. However, if you are pressed for time, this may not be the best project to take on without any other transportation. Maybee you should try to find a cheap beater to get around while you attemp this project. You never know what problems you may run into. Good luck!

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
You gotta get a clip bro. Their are so many little things that you will need that will come with the clip to make it way easier and get your car running a lot faster.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
what is difference between a soarer 1j and a supra 1j? i found this site called phoenixtuning.com that fixes the harnesses for you and extends it to work for a 1j swap. i think its around 500 and he warranties them as well. the motor mount adaptors are 175, and the 1j swap is 2000 shipped. i mean u guys are the experts here im just trying to inquire. i hear you guys when u say that its better to get the front clip but is it really all that neccissary? so far im at 2675 dollars and i havent factored in the cost of a map sensor and ignitor. for a nice front clip is about 3000 am i right or wrong? and then if i buy a front clip for 3000 im still gonna have to extend the harness and fix the connectors right? so now ill be well over 3000. im no longer in a great rush to get the car running anymore. i realized that no matter how much i rush it just isn't gonna happen quickly and if it does it wont be properly. im gonna be storing the car at school and just save up some money over the summer and next sememster come back up and tackle this project. but i need to have an idea of where im headed and how u need to get there.
for you guys that have done a 1j swap how much did it cost you just to have the motor in the car and running? im not talkin about mods or nothin like that. just the stock motor with stock turbos and stock everthing in the car running with everythin working properly?

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
What I did was call up JDMexchange in philly, they offered to pull everything I wanted from a front clip they had in the warehouse, I went down and put it all in my truck. I didn't have to deal with shipping the clip or storing it, and I still got everything I needed. I actually forgot the radiator and they shipped it to me for free. Give them a call, I promise it will save you alot of headache trying to get the parts.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
JonoTurbo said:
What I did was call up JDMexchange in philly, they offered to pull everything I wanted from a front clip they had in the warehouse, I went down and put it all in my truck. I didn't have to deal with shipping the clip or storing it, and I still got everything I needed. I actually forgot the radiator and they shipped it to me for free. Give them a call, I promise it will save you alot of headache trying to get the parts.

that actually sounds very good. how much was it for you to do this? did they charge you less since u didnt take the actually clip? that may be the solution to my problem. if not i was thinkin about just gettin a jdm 7m.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
yep get enough money to get a clip and you dont need to extend the harness so dont waste your money and time trying to.
Get a credit card and buy one if you need one that soon also if you dont have room to do the swap where you live by a storage place for 2 months first month free i know of people that did there swaps at a storage place and worked on there cars in one when they didnt have the room at there house.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
those 5 people that aaron mentioned dont know how to shop.

i bought my motor set from JHOT and got EVERYTHING. i just had to buy a hydrofan setup cause i WANTED to go that route and BIC mounts. and of course the exhaust but thats a no brainer on any car and i dont include that in the swap.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
IJ. said:
Get someone that knows what they're doing to repair your 7M...

Tell them to give you a good price because you will become a longtime customer. ::bhg::

Just messing with ya IJ....

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
#1StunnaVic said:
that actually sounds very good. how much was it for you to do this? did they charge you less since u didnt take the actually clip? that may be the solution to my problem. if not i was thinkin about just gettin a jdm 7m.

Please don't make that mistake of wasting your money on a JDM 7M. I went through that already. Mine came with a blown head gasket and didn't find out till I got the thing in and running. It immediately started overheating. Afterwards I found out that a good amount of the JDM 7M's come over from Japan with blown head gaskets. It's a waste of money. The 1J is really worth every bit of the trouble.

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
o damn i didnt kno that. i just need someone to tell me how much a complete 1j swap cost so i can have an idea. is there anyone that can tell me this. alot of u guys have done it can u tell me approximatly how much it cost to do the swap without doin mods to the engine. just a stock 1j.