just curious

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
I've been running water during the summer but do to the temp changing and getting colder i drained the water out the radiator.Around where i live at we're going to experience a freeze tonight.My question is since i drained the water from the system is the block ok and will it survive the freezing temp with it empty?I don't have the money to get any antifreeze till two days from now.::dunce::

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If you only drained the radiator, then you will be risking some block damage with the block full of plain water. You need to drain the block too. There is a drain bolt under the exhaust manifold.

Isn't cheap antifreeze like ~10 bucks?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
you dont have money for anti freeze? what are you doing owning a car? let a lone a supra..

just so you know, our blocks are cast iron. they WILL corrode with just water. good job.

and yes, there is still plain water in your system that will freeze.

will it cause damage? youre rolling the dice.

67rstbkt

May 22, 2008
Reno, NV
suprarx7nut;1157966 said:
If you only drained the radiator, then you will be risking some block damage with the block full of plain water. You need to drain the block too. There is a drain bolt under the exhaust manifold.

Isn't cheap antifreeze like ~10 bucks?

x2, get yourself some antifreeze. Borrow money. By the way, you do know that the boiling temperature of water is lower than an antifreeze/water mix. Why were you running water?

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
buckshotglass;1158032 said:
You should run coolant year round.
Also, I doubt you will crack a block in October in Maryland.
For now on i will run coolant year round.A guy i know told me he runs water in the system in the summer time and coolant during the winter and he works on saabs so i assumed that he knew what he was talking about.by hearing yalls replys i can tell he did'nt know what he was talking about and i wll never do this again do to i did'nt know the signifigance of damage the water could do to my system.Sorry guys i feel like an idiot.:icon_sad:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Most modern engines are BiMetal (combination of Aluminium and Iron parts) so coolant is a must ALL YEAR round as it inhibits erosion/corrosion due to electrolysis.

Tell you bud thanks but to stick to Saab's in the future.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
Finnon;1158144 said:
ohh and i should imagine it would need to be a good few degrees below freezing for the water in the water jacket to freeze. Id say you probably will be ok but to change it before winter hits
Thanks guys i'll tell mr. saab man that water is not good enuff for a supra,and that water is above saabs.:momaru::momaru:

prism1

prizmosis jones
May 24, 2006
fresno
^^that is exactly what i was gonna say. I just stick to the premix. We don't get the cold but the heat is a bitch.

Dustin

Chaos_Performance

Aug 21, 2008
Ohio and Mass
also the antifreeze will lubricate the seals and moving components of the cooling system so if u have been running just water then that hurt your water pump pretty bad. and a couple gallons of 50/50 mix coolant is only like 10 bucks