Jetta lowering springs on my supra?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Yeah, considering they're a freakin' four door family car I'm glad they do, even if it is only by 9.6 lbs.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
theWeezL;1033057 said:
well...a spring is a spring is a spring, BUT, they have different heights, bar thicknesses, and diameters not to mention they still have to seat in the mounts properly (ie. some springs have a few tighter radius coils on the end to fit the mounts). If you have a spare supra spring hand you can compare it visually at least. Im guessing its not even close.
Springs also have a stroke before coilbind and many different winding options, from progressive to pure linear.

In order for these to work at all, the car would need to be about the same mass, weight distribution, same suspension type and leverage ratio, same perch dimensions... then it would only be a crapshoot.

You can do the research to find out if you have a snowball's chance in hell if you like - I'd advise doing it before trying to mount anything, that's for damn sure.

Otherwise, sell 'em and use the money to pick up a set of used springs that someone else has already put all the engineering time into.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
ok i may have missed something here, but for the record the supra weighs 4460lbs, so says the tag inside my door jamb telling you the weight distribution, so unless you mean at each corner, you are all gravely mistaken on the weight

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
giterboosted;1033608 said:
ok i may have not researched this enough but...,
:naughty:

for the record the supra weighs 4460lbs, so says the tag inside my door jamb telling you the weight distribution, so unless you mean at each corner, you are all gravely mistaken on the weight

Lawl.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
ok i may have missed something here, but for the record the supra weighs 4460lbs, so says the tag inside my door jamb telling you the weight distribution, so unless you mean at each corner, you are all gravely mistaken on the weight

Damn it ........ public school systems

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
adampecush;1033615 said:
look up the meaning of gvwr, and then feel shame.

I was gonna say something myself, but you got the point across better than I could have, lol.

Grim, I knew there was more to a spring (admittedly more than I knew) but I was figuring it woudl fail the visual inspection for dimentional reasons long before the rest of the factors needed to be taken into consideration.

Selling the springs to someone who can use them and getting what you need is the best idea.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
theWeezL;1033634 said:
I was gonna say something myself, but you got the point across better than I could have, lol.

Grim, I knew there was more to a spring (admittedly more than I knew) but I was figuring it woudl fail the visual inspection for dimentional reasons long before the rest of the factors needed to be taken into consideration.

Selling the springs to someone who can use them and getting what you need is the best idea.
Ya, I figured you did - I was trying to post additional information instead of contradicting. Sorry if I came off as a bit of a dink! :)

RyDeFly

Aug 5, 2006
Westminster, CO
I can believe that the jetta weighs 1370 kilograms, but a turbo supra weighs 1570kg (according to toyota's commonly printed specs at least.)

Status
Not open for further replies.