jdmfreak's A NEW BEGINNING (BUILD THREAD)

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
nathaninwa;1979171 said:
What will you be using for idle air control? What's the plans for table switching? Its weird there are two spark a outputs.

Had planned to block off Iac (terrenceLP has his blocked and running well) unless there is another reason to keep it other than idle I would like to get rid of it

Planning on using table switching for 2 boost levels. It rains a lot in Washington I would like a rainy day boost level and a sunny/track boost level

I agree it is wierd

However the second one appears to be a output from the ms3 board (I assume for people not running the xtra board)

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
I would totally suggest an IAC. Im just down the freeway from you in Aberdeen. You have a powerful ecu, I would use it to its full advantage. MS3 has idle correction, idle air correction in closed loop and when its working together it just like stock ecu. You can use an initial value lookup table to catch the idle then have it drop just like factory. Im running S1's with a manual car, I command an 800rpm idle at temp, and in all conditions I can see the iac/timing working together to maintain my target idle.

Mornings like today where its 21* its nice to have a 1300rpm start up idle and have it ramp down as it warms up.

Not having one is fine and works all the time, but with a little knowledge and some trial and error, you can have such a better idle control/quality.

I found running the Ford PWM style works better than the stepper, and I would be willing to make an adapter for you. I have the Pro on my 2j, and just picked up an MS2 kit for a 22re im working on, the one has, the truck will get the pwm idle motor.

Agreed on boost settings. Let me suggest another route. Set your WG pressure to your desired rainy day boost level. Have the switch on the dash control the 12v power to the solenoid. In effect you can get 3 settings. Granted I have a $hit ton of power, Im using gear based open loop table switching, so I command like 12psi in first, then ramp into my secondary table where I get 18 in second, then 24/25 in third. So if you can get a vss input installed and setup the gear page, you could also do boost by gear in closed loop boost.

On a side note, once you get it all setup, I am running fuel table swichting based on RPM (at 3000). I have the rpm/kpa values setup that I have a 26x31 VE table. The car drives so much more smoother than the 16x16 table. My VE1 is ramped up to 6psi and 3000 rpm, so there is lots of resolution, then at 3k it switches to VE2 were I have like 3 vacuum bins, but have boost resolutioned out in 20kpa increments up to 35psi. As soon as I made the switch and let VEAL do the its work, drivabilty, especially off ide was greatly improved.

You have a nice build, following along.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
How big is the Ford Pwm?
I want to run my intake pipe out the throttle body hard left and drop in down right in front of the alternator if this would still be possible which wires should I reroute to the engine bay? Pwm idle only or will it require others?
And thanks:)

Last edited:

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
It takes 12v and one pwm wire from ms. The idle valve is not very big and the adapter you can mount anywhere. I make up a plate that still uses the stock iac location as its feed, and mine uses a dash 8 hose for plumbing it. Since your using the stock idle check valve rubber flap deal, you can put a tiny filter on the iacIAC adapter, which is just an alum plate. Let me see if I have some pics.

nathaninwa

Jul 1, 2012
Aberdeen, WA
Looks like I didn't take any pics of the iac setup. Its simple tho, and uses the pwm motor from a ford mustang or ranger. Some are long cylinders, and others are a squarish block. Im running the block one. I can send my MS settings to get you going faster.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Thanks I think I am going to go with the stepper for now I can always switch over later kinda just want to get it set up without pushing my budget but thanks anyway

EDI: ALTERED THE DIAGRAM TO INCLUDE WIRING FOR IAC STEPPER MOTOR

Last edited:

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
y6uqujap.jpg

Proposed ecu mounting location (with additional cover plate of course)

Radio and heater controls will be relocated to the glove box to accommodate for ecu and additional switches/buttons

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Pyro15D;1979211 said:
Shawn, what are you running as far as software for tuning? I highly recommend Tunerstudio.

Signature changed to make Bird happy.

I'm going to buy tunerstudio
And what is it megalogger? Anyway the combo deal they have

IJ.;1979213 said:
Gets pretty hot under there when running...

Oh yeah that's a good point thanks:)

hmmmmm is there a place you can think of that would be cooler yet accessible to pull the SD card for data logging that won't be too hot?
Glove box?

I have a 12' harness so I can pretty much put it anywhere
Pyro where did you have yours mounted?

I didn't want to just lay it in the typical place on the passenger floorboards :p

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
gsxr141;1979229 said:
we installed our megasquirt box under the passenger seat. it's a good fit, and you can get to the card too.

Yeah until your passenger spills a big gulp :p
That sounds like a pretty good place but that was my first thought and now it's stuck in my head

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
OK if I am understanding this correctly I should be able to add the jumper for the fuel pump in the plug that was connected to the fuel pump relay and get rid of both of these. Is this correct?
asuqydum.jpg