JDM 7MGE

NickSupra

Apr 6, 2005
tn
Hey guys, I am needing a 7mge to temporarily put into a car. I have been looking around the net a little, and seen a few dealers. I have contacted jarco, but am still waiting on a reply email. Just wondering if any of you guys have dealt with jdm engines? Where did you buy from and were you happy with the motor? Thanks

NickSupra

Apr 6, 2005
tn
I have tried, but it seems noone has any local around. I am hoping jarco has something, otherwise it may be an interesting hunt.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Jarco's a popular choice. But I would first try posting a want ad in the wanted section of the For Sale group. Adding your location to your profile might help too. ;)

Projectmk3

1988 hard top N\A
Jun 20, 2007
Ontario
if you in sothern calii would suggest Engine trend in riverside or L.A. ...i got a short block from them and i droped it in after i torqued the head down to 72ft.lbs. , i run the touge and shes given me no probs

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
NickSupra said:
I have tried, but it seems noone has any local around. I am hoping jarco has something, otherwise it may be an interesting hunt.[/QUOT

If you go JDM it will be a most interesting rebuild.

You new guys and these damn JDM engine pirates. U. S. D. M. Look harder it'll be worth it in the long run.

Edit: it may be easier to go with a 2jzge and figure out how to mount it in the bay than messing with the JDM.

Projectmk3

1988 hard top N\A
Jun 20, 2007
Ontario
supramacist said:
NickSupra said:
I have tried, but it seems noone has any local around. I am hoping jarco has something, otherwise it may be an interesting hunt.[/QUOT

You new guys and these damn JDM engine pirates. U. S. D. M. Look harder it'll be worth it in the long run.

Edit: it may be easier to go with a 2jzge and figure out how to mount it in the bay than messing with the JDM.

Who says you have to rebuild??? engine trend does a copression test and if it doesn't pass they don't sell it, they also replaced the headgasket 484.90 is what i paid...usdm 2j is a badsass idea if you have the money for it, that will blow most any honda, mitsu. out of the water and a dependable daily driver:naughty:

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I can find you 2 new candidates for rebuilds that are 2jzge's. One is 300 bucks and the other has a split piston and is 150 bucks.

Most jdm dealers are putting engines together from a scrap pile or bone yard of left over core engines. The mileage rating is a hypothesis.

If you can find someone that does test the engine before they sell it. You shouldn't have to rebuild. Those dealers are few and far between.

My 7mge has never been outdone by either mitsubishi or honda and it was sick.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
USDM and JDM motors both have the same huge problem: They're USED.
You don't know if its been well maintained, or had the shit beat out of it just by where it came from. If your 7m is rebuildable, go that route. At least then you know whats in it. A good engine builder can have your long block done in a week or less.

"Most jdm dealers are putting engines together from a scrap pile or bone yard of left over core engines. The mileage rating is a hypothesis."

Just outta curiosity, where'd you get this information? Been thinking about getting a JDM turbo motor, as they come motor, tranny, harness, ecu and all.

Projectmk3

1988 hard top N\A
Jun 20, 2007
Ontario
Screw the rebuild for the same price (probably less) get JDM, ive done the rebuild thing and i didn't work, 100 miles after break in it blew...with the money i spent in the rebuild and the later jdm motor i could of went turbo...Live and learn, do what you want im just telling you what happened to me

NickSupra

Apr 6, 2005
tn
Thanks for the replies guys. I am actually loacated in Georgia for now. I am still looking around, but am not sure what route I am going to go yet. Please keep the feedback coming.

supramacist said:

Usually It helps to comprehend the original post before making one of your own. I only need a motor for temporary use, and on the cheap. I just need a car for a few months for transportation when I start school. I already have the original 7mge, but no time to rebuild it for a while. Thanks though

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I wish I would have saved where I read it from but I was researching the jdm thing. It might have been on wikipedia for what that's worth.

There are all the time posters who have problems with these things. I will admit that I have seen a few posts lately of guys having good luck with them

If you guys that have had good luck would come forward. This might be something worthy of debunking. Because I have been kicking around building a different engine as well before the one I just repaired goes south again.

I may get lucky though.

I understood your post nick. That's why I replied.

Maybe you should work on understanding your whip before you post.
That's all I'm sayin.

Edit: I still feel like the right way to go jdm is to rebuild it. Then drop it.
To each their own.

Seems like wikipedia. I should seek it out again. Because I know how ya feel about things like this cuel.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
I bought a jdm ge about two years ago. Since then i have put approx. 60k on it WITHOUT ANY issues. I did all the usual stuff when putting it, swap oil pans,new gaskets, oil pump, timing belt, ect.The motor came with a 180 day warranty!!!They also compression tested it before they sent it out, as the markings were on the side. After having this motor and driving the piss out of it, the only thing i believe that is wrong with it is the valve seals b/c i get the smoke on start up. Other than that i get 60psi of oil pressure on a 90 degree day while doing 80 on the highway.If i could do it all over again the only thing i would do different would be to add a mhg while its out :) I bought mine from :http://www.risingsunengines.com/

Projectmk3

1988 hard top N\A
Jun 20, 2007
Ontario
as far as a rebuild goes its cool to do if you've never done it before, you will learn more about you car doing a rebuild than you will ever learn from reading or talking with other people...it sucks tho cause the cost of parts...machine and re-harden crank, bearings, all main oil seals, oil pan gasket, and other mics. when all is said and done your looking at about $600-$700, i got lucky with my rebuild cause i got my parts at whole sale from a buddy (around $500)...just remember that toyota hardens their cranks so when you get them machined you have to send them back to get it re-hardened, (the one step i forgot in my rebuild) hence the death of my old motor...all and all the experience was well learned and to this day I'm glad i did it just for the first hand info i got on the motor

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
Fuzz420 said:
I bought a jdm ge about two years ago. Since then i have put approx. 60k on it WITHOUT ANY issues. I did all the usual stuff when putting it, swap oil pans,new gaskets, oil pump, timing belt, ect.The motor came with a 180 day warranty!!!They also compression tested it before they sent it out, as the markings were on the side. After having this motor and driving the piss out of it, the only thing i believe that is wrong with it is the valve seals b/c i get the smoke on start up. Other than that i get 60psi of oil pressure on a 90 degree day while doing 80 on the highway.If i could do it all over again the only thing i would do different would be to add a mhg while its out :) I bought mine from :http://www.risingsunengines.com/

i agree my 7mgte came from there. plus with a blizt bag ct26. i got it mostly tore apart and it looks great. but i might be looking for one out of a cressy with a front slump pan. for my mk2. :love: anyone know where i could find one? but a jdm is still a used motor.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I've never understood why people seem to think that just because the engine came from Japan it's going to be bulletproof. Granted, there are people in Japan that look after there engine, just like there are people in America that look after there engine. On the other side of the coin, there are people in Japan who rag there cars out like MFers, I've seen a fair share of ragged out fresh JDM imports.

Just because it's JDM doesn't mean it isn't going to die on you. Depending on how long you want to keep the motor and your budget, I say go for a rebuild or source a local 7M.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
JDM is probably one of the easiest ways to aquire the engine you are looking for.
These engines are RHD. So things in the bay have to be rerouted.

I guess if a guy was to buy one and not be waiting on it so he can plan twice and work once. It might be plausible. But if the rest of you are anything like me. My shit is down waiting for me to gegt it tip top.

I may start trying harder to find a turbo'd engine. But I hope my 7mge holds up so I can justify the money spent. I mean if we would have had kids the baby would have done witout milk. lol.

I think it's always best to rebuild what you have so long as it is well under
200k miles.

As for the used engine thing cuel is right on the money. You have to assume that someone has been trying to dent the floor panel under the gogo peddle.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
::hang::

Are you guys still talking about this?? :icon_conf

I've seen JDM engines with so much rust on the interior that the compression was phenominal... of course the engine was trash.

A guy over at SF got a JDM which was apparently someone's project car. The engine had been COMPLETELY rebuilt, top to bottom.

The reliability of a JDM engine (just like any *used* engine) is a hit or miss kind of thing. At least with a local buy you stand a better chance of getting specifics as to what the engine's been through.

When ever you buy ANY used engine (from a domestic or JDM source), failing to tear it down and check clearances, replace seals and inspect for damage is foolhardy at best.