It still wont start!!! HELP!

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
JohnRardin;1019596 said:
Yea I'd say I didnt quite get the CPS in right so the timing might be a little off but it should start. I hardwired the ground from the battery to the igniter and then to the manifold ground.

Heres what I've figured out:

Still getting an Ignition code
The tach bounces.- CPS works
The fuel rail has pressure- fuels workin
The fuel pump cuts on.
The spark plugs get spark- somethin's definately workin (??)

STRANGEST OF ALL

when cranking I can hear it barely fire a couple times.

How can I get fuel and spark and not start? The engine runs great, it just stopped starting one day.

again, WTF?!!

make sure you check the cps wires from the cps all the way across the top of the engine even in the plastic cover piece that runs in front of the valve covers there might be a break in one of the wires. other than that it sounds like your timing is off. also can you put up some pics of the cps position with the crank at 0 .

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Supraboy89;1019642 said:
make sure you check the cps wires from the cps all the way across the top of the engine even in the plastic cover piece that runs in front of the valve covers there might be a break in one of the wires. other than that it sounds like your timing is off. also can you put up some pics of the cps position with the crank at 0 .

Okay so if I installed the CPS incorrectly and my timing is slightly off, wouldn't it still start? Where does the CPS wiring end up? I can see where it disappears near the fuel rail but I never can see. Should I try hardwiring the CPS? Again the tach jumps so the CPS is working and I no longer have a code 12 (CPS) only a code 14 (ignition).

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
14 Ignition Signal
Diagnosis
No "IGF" signal to ECU "A" times in succession.
A = 6-8 (7M-GE)
A= 3 (7M-GTE)

Trouble Area
Igniter and ignition coil circuit
Igniter and ignition coil
ECU

You should check the cps, igniter and coils before combing through the wiring. Use this link and you'll be able to check them. If you don't know how to use your multimeter. Then your only other option is to swap them out one at a time with known working parts to verify that they are or are not your problem.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=IG&P=10

If your not sure how to use a multimeter. Then I recommend learning alittle. The older a car gets the more attention it requires. GL

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I don't think there is an actual igniter check. You must check the entire circuit, and if there are no problems, you change to a known good unit, per repair manual.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
If your not sure how to use a multimeter. Then I recommend learning alittle. The older a car gets the more attention it requires. GL

I know how to check volts, amps or ohms no problem....its just the multi part thats been confusing the hell outta me. I'm goin to get the CPS aligned right so the timings not off. Would the spark plugs be sparking if the igniters bad?

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Let me tell you what I did Yesterday concerning code 12.

I got that code from when I started the New Rebuild Initially. The CPS that I had in the car when It was Dropped in was a Gray Plug 89+ CPS. I pulled it out and Installed the Green Plug 87-88 CPS since the car was a 87-88 Model and the code went away.

Im not for sure what year supra you have but I have a 89+ CPS that I need to get rid on now.

HTH

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
Nick M;1020287 said:
I don't think there is an actual igniter check. You must check the entire circuit, and if there are no problems, you change to a known good unit, per repair manual.

I see what you mean, but you are checking the transistor as well as the curcuit. Unless I missed something.?

jetjock;1020633 said:
Sorry, but doesn't get much better than that :)

Yeah, I am still not sure how to take that.:icon_surp

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Praise the lord!! My cars back to it old self again. Turns out my timing was off from incorrect CPS installation. Once I did it right it started up no problem. Thanks everyone for the help, I would've given up long ago had I been alone.