Issues Question

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
I have a few symptoms that I think have something to do with something in my steering column or something like that...

First off, cruise doesn't work (the speedo bounces so that could be the cause...)

Second, the steering is pretty loose and the car wanders, but I had the alignment checked and they said it was fine.

Third, and most notably, I hear a loud grinding noise when I turn the wheel ALL the way either direction and begin to move. Usually in first gear only but it's happened in second from a rolling start.

Rack and pinion issue? Bushings?
:1zhelp:

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
livinasask8er;1361365 said:
can you find out where the noise is coming from? i'm thinking that its ur power steering pump

I could try...the only problem is it only happens when I begin moving with the wheel fully turned. So I dont see how I would go about finding exactly where it's coming from.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Check your power steering fluid level. Just Dexron III (old school auto tranny fluid) if you need to add any. Check and see if the power steering motor is leaking all over the inside of your engine bay just to make sure you haven't popped or ruptured your high or low pressure lines to the motor (I've had both go on mine before).

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
Alright I'll do that today or tomorrow since I dont have work either day... i'll let ya know what I find.

A few questions to make sure I'm checking the right fluid... (i'm a noob)

Where is the power steering fluid located? And where is the power steering pump/motor?

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Power steering resevoir (if I remember correctly) is directly between the engine and your intake towards the front of the engine. It's got a cap that has a big T type shape punch out on it. It will have a dipstick in the cap, check it like you check your oil. I can't remember if there is a hot and cold mark on the dipstick but it's generally good practice to check fluid levels warm.

David_Nguyen

Apr 16, 2005
Canada
your cruise control actuator might be gone top right corner with a cable to throttle linkage or could be simple fuse...
grinding noise or squeaky noise when steering turned to diff. things mybe you have a leak where air coulda gotten in or no fluid,cause the power steering fluid is self bleeding is it not guys...mybe pump is gone bearing gone bad...

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
get someone to help you find the source of the sound (u turn, they look) i thought of the power steering pump because that went out for me once and it was because the fliud reservoir got clogged (there's a small net in there to filter crap out) and it starved the pump. to find the res just look under your hood and look at all the caps for fluid containers (there's like 3) until u find one that says something on it like "dexron" or something like that. if u unscrew it and it'll have a really short dipstick attached to the cap. to find the pump, just follow ur belts. one drives the water pump and alternator, one drives ur a/c compressor (on the right) and one drives ur power steering pump (to the left). u'll notice that the pump has a short hose on top of it that travels a few inches directly above to attach to the (guess what) res.

it helps to be curious, don't you ever wonder what all those wires and hoses go to and why? what they're carrying and in which direction? i did, and i found out when i took it all apart to fix a blown head gasket. bet u didn't know ur car has 7 injectors; u should've seen my face when i found the extra one before getting to the rest.