is this site reliable for the 7m?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
no such thing as a reliable stock nonrebuilt 7m....buy a cheap long block and rebuild it useing the advice on this forum...a basic rebuild "refresher" could cost as little as $600 in total all the way up to however far you want take your supra "hp goals"...

If you get a jdm motor you will want to install the American egr system, and definetly do a headgasket job even if compression is fine....

But no, ordering a jdm motor and emediatly put it in your car is not a good idea at all....from anywhere no matter what!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
KyoSohma07;1144638 said:
thanks, once I have the money I'll probably buy the engine off that site. I'll start a build thread when I get it, and I'll probably make many trips to this site while I work on it

you know, it's cheaper just to buy a 7m from one of the partout threads....I wouldn't waist time with import places....

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
my shop just picked up a JDM 7m and it came with a hole on the block:aigo::3d_frown:, so just imagine getting it shipped and have to ship it back cause of that :icon_bigg, just support the community :evil2:

and the motors from a well known JDM source!:sarcasm:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
tlo86;1144725 said:
IIRC every JDM 7m i have seen had a BHG already hehe

Not true, my JDM swap has 30000km in my supra at 12psi, no BHG yet :icon_bigg

JDM motors are much like playing the lottery: you've the same odds of winning on each one, and by the time you know you didn't win, you're screwed.

If you're not a gambling man, just buy a motor to rebuild.

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
I bought a 7mgte from tiger japanese once and it is a great engine. I only did it though because the old one had a catastrophic failure of epic perportions.:cry: Its just hit or miss realy.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I've seen good jdm motors and I've seen bad ones. Alot of them get damaged in shipping.

You have to seek out an importer with a stellar reputation who's backing his merchandise with a good warranty.

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
thanks for everyones opinion, everyone seemed very helpful. I think I am going to play the lottery with this one. Once I have enough money I'm going to buy a 7m turbo w/ 5sp transmission from tigerautoparts.com, they have a 30 day warranty on it, so I should get a good engine.

thanks again