is this really turbo lag

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Looks bone stock to me. Although fuel cut is at 11-12 psi on the stock setup. So going all the way to 15-16 is pretty much worthless and the turbo isnt going to last long at those boost level, unless you have an upgraded Ct26. Maybe you have a Lex AFM and 550cc injectors or mabe a Fut Cut defender.
The first thing I would do is check for boost leaks. When you say boost shoots to 15-16 psi and then drops, around to what PSI does it drop to? And also check for codes and go from there. You should also do a boost leak test.

Follow this link, its like a Hayness Repair Manual, but way better ;)

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=23

This link shows you how to check your Check Engine Light Codes.

87coupe

Jul 2, 2009
michigan
well i'm thinking i might retire it to the garage now instead of in the fall. and maybe just start going through everything and seeing exactly what i have.

"When you say boost shoots to 15-16 psi and then drops, around to what PSI does it drop to? "

it will fall back down to about 5psi

as far as codes go i dont know how to check for those yet. i'm going to read up on that subject tonight.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
87coupe;1358998 said:
well i'm thinking i might retire it to the garage now instead of in the fall. and maybe just start going through everything and seeing exactly what i have.

"When you say boost shoots to 15-16 psi and then drops, around to what PSI does it drop to? "

it will fall back down to about 5psi

as far as codes go i dont know how to check for those yet. i'm going to read up on that subject tonight.

Woah it drops to 5 psi? Then something is really wrong. Sounds like a major boost leak to me or possibly your boost contoller.

And yeah read the link I gave you, it tells you how to check for the diagnostic codes.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I bet you've got some dried out stock rubber Intercooler piping that is cracked and leaking. Start sqeezing the pipes with your hands and see if they're cracked up. If so, you may want to consider getting hardpipes (2.5").

BTW, looks like you've got a stock turbo elbow. Get that outa there. That's that bottleneck on a stock setup. Replace that with a good 3" DP and you should net at least 25-30HP to the wheels.

87coupe

Jul 2, 2009
michigan
"Replace that with a good 3" DP and you should net at least 25-30HP to the wheels"

really!!! wow well i was going to replace the intercooler and piping and manifold when i tear this thing down anyway so i'm happy to hear i'm going to see more hp out it.

ya i'll be doing some reading tonight.

thanks

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Do the things I suggesested in post 3, trust me its a good place to start. Notice how "Codes" is link, it takes about 30seconds to check.

As for the Bvsv, it looks like it's bypassed, no biggie, your simply pulling a vac on charcoal cansister when your engine is cold. It's there to eliminate that but better than nothing, I'll assume one or both of the nipples is broken off your bvsv.