is this really turbo lag

87coupe

Jul 2, 2009
michigan
OK was told this is probably turbo lag and since this is my first turbo car i hope I'm not being a bother to ask just to set my mind at ease. before boost kicks in it feels like (if it was a carburetor i would say a bog down) it kinda hesitates and sputters just a bit and then the turbo kicks in really hard, kinda feels like a nitrous shot. and then the boost will shoot up to 15 psi and then come back down even if i don't let off the throttle...... is this normal for a turbo motor? sorry if a sound like an idiot I'm just not familiar with this car yet... i will be with in a few months cuz I'm doing a ton a research before i tear this car apart this winter and redo it. Oh and this motor has about 1200 miles on it since the rebuild, metal gasket, boost control and thats all i know.

thank you for any input.
Brian

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Doesn't sound right to me:( Shouldn't bog or hesitate. Who did the rebuild? And why tear it apart with only 1200miles?

I would check your basic things like vacum/boost leaks, and timing. Codes I would also remove the boost controller until your confident the car is running properly.

Also did the headbolts get re-torqued?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
if you have a stock CT26 theres should be virtually no turbo lag. My 20G on the otherhand...

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Wait 15 psi? Are you running on the stock turbo? If not what kind of turbo is it> And do you have its supporting mods> ? What do you use to tune?

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
i have a similar problem but mine doesnt do it all the time. im assuming vacuum, boost leak or the fact that both of my knock sensors are broken, my accordion(sp) hose has a slight crack where is slides over the turbo, or the small hose that is connected to the bottom of the accordion(sp) not being connected to anything on the other end...in my case(which i think is the same as the OP) it almost feels as if something is slipping then catching(LIKE when a gear missing a tooth for example)<--im pretty positive that is not the case though(my example) also, mine only boosts to 7psi :p

edit: feels kind of like the noticeable drag you notice when you first switch on the ac only a little stronger i guess

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
7M-KDL;1358790 said:
i have a similar problem but mine doesnt do it all the time. im assuming vacuum, boost leak or the fact that both of my knock sensors are broken, my accordion(sp) hose has a slight crack where is slides over the turbo, or the small hose that is connected to the bottom of the accordion(sp) not being connected to anything on the other end...in my case(which i think is the same as the OP) it almost feels as if something is slipping then catching(LIKE when a gear missing a tooth for example)<--im pretty positive that is not the case though(my example) also, mine only boosts to 7psi :p

edit: feels kind of like the noticeable drag you notice when you first switch on the ac only a little stronger i guess

Start your own thread.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
dumbo;1358794 said:
Start your own thread.

no need to start my own. im not try to take away from the OP .im not asking a question, i simply think this person is having the same problem as me so i am providing more information about what is happening so that maybe someone can tell him what he needs to do. like i said, what he is describing sounds exactly like what mine sometimes does so i am giving more details. besides, if i start a new thread im sure people will simply post "use the search button" or "this was just covered in another thread" :p

btw im not trying to hi-jack the thread

and i hope this post doesnt comeoff as "snarky"

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
ForcedTorque;1358825 said:
87Coupe - You should be checking all of your piping for a boost leak. It is sometime very hard to find one with the naked eye. Here is a link to a tester that worked for me.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19718&highlight=boost+leak+tester

7M-KDL - You should fix all of the problems that you mentioned already knowing. If that doesn't fix it, you should follow that link as well.

yeh, im a little short on money at the moment and ive seen a few different types of boost/leak down testers, just havent made one yet. thanks though, and hopefully that helps 87..maybe he will notice one of the flaws i pointed out..

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
7M-KDL;1358790 said:

Hmmm, prolly not the same problem as you 87...

7M, sounds like you KNOW what your problems are, not being snotty, nor did it sound like you came off that way.

87coupe

Jul 2, 2009
michigan
wow lot of reply's.... thank you. now please bear with me cuz I'm so new to this motor and a lot of the things you guys said went right over my head. so i apologize ahead of time for stupid comments lol. iv built 430hp carburated Chevy 350's but never messed with a fuel injected turbo car so it's going to take a few months to get up to speed.

OK the set up, i got this car about a month ago, traded my camaro for it. i was told it had a fresh rebuild with about 800 miles on it when i drove it home. iv since put another 800 miles. i know it was a professional rebuild as i seen all the paper work(i know ... professional doesn't make necessarily a good rebuild) but like an idiot i forgot to grab the folder of papers when i pulled away lol. and now i cant get a hold of the guy anyway, it had a steel head gasket put in and the boost control added and an exhaust fromt he manifold down. other then gauges i don't think there is anything els that i can see. the guy i got it from said it had 350hp... does'nt feel like that much to me...maybe ..300. it is pretty fast but i'v had 6 camaro and most of them were over 300hp

the after market gauge says I'm boosting up to 15/16 psi. the hesitation seems like it's getting worse the last 3 times i drove it. someone mentioned like when a ac kicks on....ya kinda like that but also kinda like a carburetor that just got a hair to much gas.... it's a hesitation/bog combination. then the turbo will kick in and kick in haarrdd. it will shoot up to 15/16psi and then fall right back down. fuel cut will happen when it reaches 15psi and usually only in 1st and second gear.

i mentioned tearing this thing down meaning I'm going to strip the car and restore it. only thing i'm going to do to the motor is add a header,injector,57 thingy turbo and some kind of engine management. it looks good in the pics but up close that pearl paint is sad and the interior is rough. i got it from down town Detroit, not trying to rip on anyone down there but the previous owner.... well he tried to pimp it out lol if he would have thought it out it probably would have looked nice but he just kinda threw it together.

anyway sorry for the long post, i know theirs some gurus on here so i attached a couple pics of the engine in hopes it might better show my set up.

Attachments

• 0706090905.jpg
    0706090905.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 0706090906.jpg
    0706090906.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 0706090905b.jpg
    0706090905b.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 0706090905a.jpg
    0706090905a.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 0706090907.jpg
    0706090907.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 17

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
87coupe;1358946 said:
wow lot of reply's.... thank you. now please bear with me cuz I'm so new to this motor and a lot of the things you guys said went right over my head. so i apologize ahead of time for stupid comments lol. iv built 430hp carburated Chevy 350's but never messed with a fuel injected turbo car so it's going to take a few months to get up to speed.

OK the set up, i got this car about a month ago, traded my camaro for it. i was told it had a fresh rebuild with about 800 miles on it when i drove it home. iv since put another 800 miles. i know it was a professional rebuild as i seen all the paper work(i know ... professional doesn't make necessarily a good rebuild) but like an idiot i forgot to grab the folder of papers when i pulled away lol. and now i cant get a hold of the guy anyway, it had a steel head gasket put in and the boost control added and an exhaust fromt he manifold down. other then gauges i don't think there is anything els that i can see. the guy i got it from said it had 350hp... does'nt feel like that much to me...maybe ..300. it is pretty fast but i'v had 6 camaro and most of them were over 300hp

the after market gauge says I'm boosting up to 15/16 psi. the hesitation seems like it's getting worse the last 3 times i drove it. someone mentioned like when a ac kicks on....ya kinda like that but also kinda like a carburetor that just got a hair to much gas.... it's a hesitation/bog combination. then the turbo will kick in and kick in haarrdd. it will shoot up to 15/16psi and then fall right back down. fuel cut will happen when it reaches 15psi and usually only in 1st and second gear.

i mentioned tearing this thing down meaning I'm going to strip the car and restore it. only thing i'm going to do to the motor is add a header,injector,57 thingy turbo and some kind of engine management. it looks good in the pics but up close that pearl paint is sad and the interior is rough. i got it from down town Detroit, not trying to rip on anyone down there but the previous owner.... well he tried to pimp it out lol if he would have thought it out it probably would have looked nice but he just kinda threw it together.

anyway sorry for the long post, i know theirs some gurus on here so i attached a couple pics of the engine in hopes it might better show my set up.

the second and fourth pic looks like your vsv is gone. also, that red vac line going over your afm looks like its running to the wrong place, unless it makes a few bends and comes back to where it needs to be

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
dumbo;1358886 said:
Hmmm, prolly not the same problem as you 87...

7M, sounds like you KNOW what your problems are, not being snotty, nor did it sound like you came off that way.

yeh it seems like maybe the same symptoms with different causes bc 87 mentioned his seems like its getting worse where as mine seems the to stay the same

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
87coupe;1358961 said:
whats the vsv? ..i know I'm going to frustrate someone with my stupid questions lol

These are the questions that you need to do a search for. We will help you but you gotta help yourself. When we tell you something you need to try to figure it out for yourself and then come back explaining what you learned and what you still dont understand. VSV is too short to run a search for but you could find it in the TSRM in about 3 seconds.

87coupe

Jul 2, 2009
michigan
ya iv been reading a ton of these threads but the abbreviations always throw me off. like i said I'll be up to speed shortly till then I'll try to keep my dumb questions to a minimum ;)

oh and lewis15498 my wife and i laughed our hineys off at you're avatar.. that is hilarious.