Is this a good thing?

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
I went to my bank about two weeks ago to see if I could be approved for a credit card (needed to build credit). Low and behold, I was. I get the card in the mail a week later and just got around to activating it yesterday. Got online today to check my bank accounts and wanted to see what my FICO score happened to be. I wasn't sure if they were yanking my chain or not, but it said my score was 764.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

If that's my legit score, then I'm one hell of a happy camper. Thinking about freezing my CC in an ice block or put it in a safety deposit box in some random bank in some random town so I don't end up using the card and stick with just my debit card. Good plan?

Live_Free_Or_Die

Nov 5, 2006
La Verne, CA
Holy shit dude. I just got my score a few weeks ago from freecreditreport and have almost the exact same score; just one point different. The more you use your card the higher your score will get. Just pay online and you can guarantee not to have any late payments.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I just applied for a card with no interest for 12 months so I'll see if I get it before I decide if I'm happy with the score.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Ckanderson said:
thats a good score. but credit history is more important then a score.

So as long as I don't use it and just pay it off every month, it's all good? Or am I gonna have to use it every once in a while?

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
your best is to make payments on it every month. a cc doesnt carry a ton of weight though. pick up a small car payment if you wanna help out your credit.

my score is in the mid 6's cause of my car loan, BUT i have 2 paid off loans (sti and stolen cobra) so I dont have any problem getting a loan for pretty much anything. although your score is higher, i'd get approved easier.. make sense?

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
yeah the credit card didn't really help build my credit that much it was the 10000$ car loan that really kicked me up there

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
JustAnotherVictim said:
Your history of paying off balances is better then having a good score.
Don't listen to the idiots who tell you that you need a balance of your card to get good credit. Just use it and pay it off you'll be fine.

Just pay off the full balance each month.
You could also get a cell phone under your name and make the payments on time.That helped build my g/f's credit too along with the credit cards.

Cheers,
Roy

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Well that's always better if you can do that, not everyone can.
I just get annoyed with the people who tell people that say you have to always have a balance on the card to get good credit.
I would recommend doing something like using for gas and paying it off each week. Simple and won't make you go broke.

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
tte said:
Just pay off the full balance each month.
You could also get a cell phone under your name and make the payments on time.That helped build my g/f's credit too along with the credit cards.

Cheers,
Roy

I've had a cell phone plan under my name for about a year now and I didn't know that could affect my credit since my mom's been paying it for me. Nifty. I'll see if I can take out a loan for a 1JZ MK3 out in AZ.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Got Boost? said:
I've had a cell phone plan under my name for about a year now and I didn't know that could affect my credit since my mom's been paying it for me. Nifty. I'll see if I can take out a loan for a 1JZ MK3 out in AZ.

good luck.. most banks dont like to give loans for older cars..

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Got Boost? said:

The agent at Cingular Wireless told us that paying off the phone bill is like a car loan and it will help your credit.

Cheers,
Roy

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Ckanderson said:
good luck.. most banks dont like to give loans for older cars..

Well, I went to a credit union (Chartway) a couple of weeks ago and they said depending on how good one's credit was, they could be approved for an auto loan for a car that old.