is it possible

Destroyer101k

Oct 23, 2009
im new at this, but i was wondering if anyone can help me..

i own a 90 Supra N/A, i haven't done anything to it but the first thing i want to do is install an intake that is street legal and pass the Smog thest in cali...

i really like the K&N FIPK but i would like more suggestions..i found an intake system in 2k racing http://www.2kracing.com/Product/17618.html, comes with the pipe, i was also wondering if its possible to install that pipe with another filter brand..?? thank you in advance....

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Looks right to me, even includes the vac. line for the power steering idle up. You could use any filter with a 3" opening to fit on the afm adapter. Apexi makes a good one.

The stock air box is a cold air intake. Your best bet would be to replace the rubber accordian hoses between the afm and throttle body, and use an AC Delco air filter. K&N is an oiled filter, and the oil and dirt that come through the filter will gum up the afm eventually.

Edit: The only way to change to a Mass Air Flow meter would be with a piggy back like the MaftPro. Not sure if there are any others...

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
$99!?! WTF? Wow, some racket they've got going there... Get a kit for a Civic off ebay for $50 or so..

Besides, if the pipe they're showing is intended for a 7M-GE they left out the part about having to hack out a 1' section from the middle of the pipe to accommodate the AFM... but the OP does seem to have noticed this, so props there.

IIRC, the K&N intake for our car (which comes with a CARB compliance sticker) does not include any replacement piping at all... just an adapter and a filter to bolt to the front of the AFM. In that case you're better sticking with stock as any cone filter mounted in the engine bay will only hurt performance.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
IMHO, the bigger problem with K&N's air filters is the poor filtration. Apex'i or AEM Dryflow for me.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Any air filter which fits within the STOCK, UNMODIFIED filter box is CARB legal. Aftermarket units which modify or replace the stock filter box must have applied for and been granted CARB compliance certification.

Actually, the whole filter thing is F'ing ridiculous and only something I'd ever expect to hear from CA... No, another car's data isn't going to make it pass.. it's more of a visual inspection thing than anything. An air filter isn't going to make your car run anywhere near differently enough for it to show up on the test results as long as it's clean.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
This is why Cali sucks :rofl:

Header, cat, and catback would make more diffence than the intake IMHO, but I don't know of any headers that are CARB approved...

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Poodles;1436620 said:
This is why Cali sucks :rofl:

Header, cat, and catback would make more diffence than the intake IMHO, but I don't know of any headers that are CARB approved...

That's the only reason? ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, it's a beautiful state, has great natural resources, but the laws are shit...

Oh, and earthquakes, fuck earthquakes.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
One of the greatest examples of laws for the sake of laws... can't have the law makers out of jobs, now can we?

Personally, I'd just get a good filter for the stock filter box and not worry about getting a cone filter in there. The N/A doesn't move enough air that the stock air box and OEM filter pose any restriction whatsoever.