Is a 1JZ swap from a GE worth all the work and money?

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i think the 1jz is more idiot proof.... i don't think one is more reliable then the other if the owner uses common sense, checkes his oil periodically, uses quality parts and maintains the car well...

performance wise i don't think one is better then the other.... people can argue the 1jz revs more making more top end hp or the 7m has more low end torque but in the end the differences are more or less negligable when it comes to performance i would say. i guess it's up to you. personally i prefer the 7M.

if you have $4500 and you're going to pay this guy every penny you have to do the 1jz swap and think your problems will be over, think again. these cars need constant maintenance.... honestly... figure you'll spend whatever getting the engine repaired.... then add $3000 maintenence for the first yr, $2000 for the second, and $500/yr for all the following years.... if you end up spending less consider yourself lucky, but make sure you prepare yourself to spend more money in the future if you want to keep the car running properly... otherwise a $200 repair ends up being a $2000 repair and things can get way out of hand very quickly if you neglect it.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
well I said someone will do it for that much, if it came to it, Id do it myself. The only issue is geting a front clip and actually storing it somewhere while I part it out, my step dads already flippin a bitch about my car being stuck in the garage.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
phoenix6 said:
well I said someone will do it for that much, if it came to it, Id do it myself. The only issue is geting a front clip and actually storing it somewhere while I part it out, my step dads already flippin a bitch about my car being stuck in the garage.

Tell him to get used to it it's a Mk3 ;)

rs4_supra

Sep 4, 2006
Wa
First things first the guy you know..... 4500 for a clean swap without cuting corners ect do you really trust him and trust his knowleage in cars? Second it would be cheaper if you just rebuilt the 7m youself! But i mean if i could go with a 1jz i would but here are some things to look at http://www.mk3supras.com and then go to specifications, and then engine specs and it will show you the diff beetween the two! I hope that helps!

_cory

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Well I was thinking get the clip here, part it out ASAP and then haul off the remaining parts to whoever wants em.

Could I use a RHD front clip to convert my car to a RHD? I was thinking of doing that, if its ALL there, why not?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
phoenix6 said:
Well I was thinking get the clip here, part it out ASAP and then haul off the remaining parts to whoever wants em.

Could I use a RHD front clip to convert my car to a RHD? I was thinking of doing that, if its ALL there, why not?

Ummm because it's a HUGE job and something I'd think twice about before tackling.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
IJ. said:
Ummm because it's a HUGE job and something I'd think twice about before tackling.

Ah it is that bad huh? Oh well, if anything just getting the 1jz in there and working is the goal. Anyone know an easy way to find a front clip here in Houston?

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
935motorsports said:
NA to 1j adds a little more work.

But $4500 parts and labor for 1j swap? That is either a good deal, shotty work, or they are using the original w58.

Having someone else do the 1j swap, start to finish, and you pick up the keys, you have to figure $6000.
$3000 for a clip (w/r154) + $1500 labor isnt too farfetched. Thats what a mechanic quoted me for the job and that includes him buying and installing new seals all around.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
I already bought a rebuilt head from someone for the 7M so Ill stick with that, but Im gonna keep my eyes open on the 1JZ swap, might do that sometime still.