Is a 1JZ-GTE U.S legal?

CampbellsChunkySoupra

best be eating your soup!
Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
alright. so ive been on hold with the DOT of IOWA for the last 15 minutes and i finally got through and they said that i need to contact the "local country treasurer's office." im almost sure that this will end soon because they just sent me somewhere else.

CampbellsChunkySoupra

Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
alright, i just got referred to someone else whos the "field guy." the lady said that canadian cars dont have titles, just reigstration and that they must meet EPA standards for the US. im calling "field guy" to get more questions answered.

-Tyler

CampbellsChunkySoupra

Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
ok. another update:

I talked to the field guy a second ago and he said, "You must have the Canadian Registration as well as the EPA done. Customs forms must also be filled out. The form number is CF-7501. There must also be a Federal Label in the door jam of the vehicle stating that abides by all safety standards present in the United States. You must also fill out a DOT Form called an HS-7. After all of the paperwork is filled out and the car is actually at your feet, you must then have the field guy come and do a visual inspection with all documents present. Once it is checked out and everything is good to go, you must go back down to the treasurer's office and get your registration done and get plates for it."

It seems like a LONG process with alot of paperwork but i think it could be done. the only thing i wonder about is passing the EPA standards and getting it through customs. hmm, i will look into it more. id love a sexy canadian supra!

-Tyler

CampbellsChunkySoupra

Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
my other question that just popped up was with insurance. most insurance agencies require vin numbers and everything right? wont that pop up as "awkward" for them?

and how would they go about replacing stuff when it breaks considering its "JDM"

CampbellsChunkySoupra

Jan 28, 2007
Norwalk, IA
www.dragsource.net
no. i meant that the insurance agencies might raise your rates because the car is actually not available in the states therefore finding a replacement would be difficult.

it would be easy for me to find the parts, but the company giving the "quote when a wreck happens" might have to figure in a cost for parts because the car actually doesnt exhist in america. does that make more senes?

RedDogOIF

RedDogOIF
Nov 21, 2006
Elk Grove
Oh yes and that is why Cali is such a pain in the butt place to live sometimes, no great mods, no great guns, and you better have a really good job or plenty of them to live well. I did like AZ a little better. I would love to have the 1JZ in mine.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
The only way to easily get a RHD JZA70 in the US legaly is through florida then after florida issues you a US title & registration where you go from there is up to you.

It sounds like to me you want to buy your car from canada then bring it to florida for your vacation then take it back home.