Is .040 TOO much?

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
OK i just got in touch with a guy that has a Block bored .040 over with matched OEM style pistons and rings, OEM rods, and ARP main studs, and all clevite 77 bearings, he wants $275 for everything and if i did get it i would have everything Cryo treated by Deep Freeze Cryo. Now for the questions, would this be a streetable/reliable setup, and how much horsepower would this setup be able to hold?

need new tires

rubber slinger
Nov 10, 2005
Dayton,Ohio
well i would have the rods heavy blasted and lightend. the bottom end would be good for a solid 500rwhp. just note your pistions are the only "weak" link. just make sure it has a good tune and it should last at 450-500.
i would also upgrade to arp rod bolts to, for like 50 bucks why not.

-shane

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
...to a small extent. like SC said in his post, you wanna value what youve got cause it won't last forever. the smarter route to make more power is just upgrades to better supporting systems like cooling, fuel, air, exhaust. basic import theories on tuning, making power through boost instead of displacement

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
On the parts you get cyro'ed, make sure you check clearances...cyro tends to shrink the part a tiny bit. In fact, I'd re-check every clearance and spec on the crank, rods, and pistons. The suggestion for ARP rod bolts is sound advice...get ARP head studs too ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ pfft. what could possibly go wrong, ian? ;) it's not like people blow ringlands and melt pistons!

for anyone who didn't catch it, that was sarcasm.

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
Well you guys ALL have really good points i think im going to just try and get the main studs from him, and stick with the factory setup and see how far i can go with that, thanks guys any other tips are apreciated.