intercooler

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
If you're on the stock intake manifold, get a same-side exit/entrance IC. Nothing looks dumber than a gigantic pipe going under the IC right back to the other side. Plus it adds lag.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
pogoism9;1888707 said:
The DM kit seems to be ok, just be wary of shipping. I paid 24.50 to ship an EGR cooler gasket and ARP head studs....I can only imagine what the intercooler kit costs to ship...

Driftmoti hardly charges anything at all for shipping it was like 15-20 bucks

sixtyten6010

Dec 20, 2011
Metropolis IL
Turbo Habanero;1888732 said:
Driftmoti hardly charges anything at all for shipping it was like 15-20 bucks

Ehhhhh... I've been looking at the kit from there for a while and get a 55.00 dollar shipping quote for 35lbs, you must be pretty close to them.....

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
RazoE;1888712 said:
If you're on the stock intake manifold, get a same-side exit/entrance IC. Nothing looks dumber than a gigantic pipe going under the IC right back to the other side. Plus it adds lag.

so making a 180 degree turn inside the confined space of the ic doesnt add lag?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It's more the length of piping and not the turns. Not to mention how many times I've seen people scrape that pipe and get leaks from torn couplers because of it...

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
IndigoMKII;1888777 said:
so making a 180 degree turn inside the confined space of the ic doesnt add lag?

Doesn't add lag, add's restriction through the intercooler itself (yielding lower boost pressure at the intake manifold). Unless you're running a big turbo pushing close to the CFM capacity of the intercooler it's generally not an issue.

As Poodles already mentioned, pipe length is the issue. The more space you have to pressurize, the longer it takes to get to that pressure. Idealy you want the shortest route possible between the turbo and throttle body/intake manifold in order to minimize this, which is why an FFIM can give you a much better response.