intercooler

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
alright a few intercooler questions.
1. how tight are you supposed to make the hose clamps to connect the pipes overtop the silicone connecters?
2. i bought a horsepowerfreaks intercooler kit and they make it so the blow off valve is on a pipe directly overtop the intercooler. do you think this will cause a problem?
3. how easy is it to relocate the batter to the truck so i can put my coolant overflow in that space?

sleepersupra

i hate this car
Nov 5, 2005
Broken Arrow, Ok
mkiii88supra said:
alright a few intercooler questions.
1. how tight are you supposed to make the hose clamps to connect the pipes overtop the silicone connecters?
2. i bought a horsepowerfreaks intercooler kit and they make it so the blow off valve is on a pipe directly overtop the intercooler. do you think this will cause a problem?
3. how easy is it to relocate the batter to the truck so i can put my coolant overflow in that space?

i dont know about #1 or 2 but relocating the battery was very easy and striaght forward.

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
come on guys i really need an answer to the first 2 questions. the bov valve spot seems odd to me so i just want to know if it will cause any problems and if anyone knows what the advantage(if there is one) of having it there is.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Are you sure that pipe goes directly above the IC? That seems odd to me also. Make sure thats the correct pipe. Some pics might help us out.
As for #1 I just use a nut driver and tighten them as much as I can with that, but since you have the HPF kit I assume you have t-bolts. I would say make them tight but don't crank 'em down like a headbolt or something. Just tighten them firmly.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
1: just as tight as your hands can make it, dont need an extreme amount of pressure just enough so you cant pull it apart with your hands.
2: no problem with it there, i've seen plenty of setups with the bov way out front above the intercooler.
3: as easy as running a thick cable to your truck and grounding it.

theDon

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
oil cooler can supposedly go on the IC but I never figured that out. I am going with an aftermarket oil cooler. And for the overflow I have a tiny Odessey battery so can fit that and the stock overflow in that location.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
where does everyone relocate their battery to?? i was thinking about it and i need my back seats, i want a sub in my spare wheel well, and i have a targa that i store in the trunk when it's off

john

Horsepowerfreak

Jan 24, 2006
Portland
Sorry for the delay. I hope you got your issue resolved. If not, let me know and I will find some more pics of the intercooler installed as that may help.

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
hey ron. i actually didnt get them totally resolved. i have a few questions you might be able to answer.

1.)how tight do i make my clamps?
2.)where is the best place to relocate the coolant overflow or is there one that would fit in the smaller space?
3.)it said on the site that there is one pipe missing to make it a complete kit. which pipe is that because they all seem there to me?

thanks,
mike

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I'll take a shot at it

I normally tighten them until you can see it has smushed in the coupler about level with the clamp band.

I would put it where the battery went. BTW, I would highly reccomend the tiny Odyssey battery for weight loss.

3rd one I can't say for sure so I won't waste my time and give you false info.

Horsepowerfreak

Jan 24, 2006
Portland
1: Like he said. :icon_bigg
2: Most people use a smaller universal overflow tank.
3: If you are still on the stock turbo, you will need to use the stock piping from the turbo to the intercooler. If you are using the HPF turbo, this pipe will be included in the turbo kit.