installing the r154 (auto-man conversion)

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
This weekend my mate and i attempted to do the manual conversion since my 3rd tranz died.we got the tranny out and the tailshaft etc ok but tryin to install the r154 is a friggn pain in the ass.Ive got the tranny in the pilot bearing and its up on 2 jacks,took us all weekend so far and all sunday to try to get this damn tranny to line up with the dowels and bolt holes.its just bout 5-10mm short of going in completely.I have followed the trsm guidelines and still no luck.Have any of you guys and gals got any tips on how to make it fit?ive got the motor jacked up at the crank pully to rock it back but just dosnt seem to wanna go the final few mm's.Ive even tried swearing at it and threatening to sell her if she dosn't go in :icon_conf

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
put a wrench on the crank pulley and turnit back and forth to get the splines to match up.

have a friend ready to immediately tighten down the top two bellhousing bolts, then install the tranny cross member. after youve done that the strenuous part is over.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
mine did the same thing and the engine was OUT of the car. The last inch or so just didn't want to go. The splines were all matched up and everything but the damn thing WOULDN'T budge. We finally got it on. No clue what was wrong though.

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
i say tigthen up those tranny bolts
just slowly tigthen them if the spline are sitting correctly.
that is the easiest way to put it back on.
i had the same prob. with the w58, just slowly tigthen the four bolts and it will seat back in.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
ive tried turning the crank over but it still wont slide in that lil bit.its just too far apart to bolt up.if we do get to bolt it ,its because the tranny is not square to the motor.we tried all sorts of combinations but still to no avail.today im goin to remove the tranny and try to punch in the pilot bearing some more incase its not seated properly.i'll keep you guys informed of my success (hopefully)

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
um.....try this. put the pressure plate inside of the trans. put the clutch disk on the splines. now don't bolt the pressure plate to anything yet. Put the trans in the car and bolt it up. Now pull the inspection covers off the bellhousing and bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel. Thats how I've always done it!

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
i took the box down yesterday and filed the old crap off the inputshaft and hammered the pilot bearing in to see if it went in more.it didnt but i guess the filing and sanding of the shaft mite have helped.I finnished the mechanicals at 130am.went for a test drive and she works appart from a few adjustments to the clutch which i will do inthe daylight.it is near 6am now.gotta go work.it only took me 7.5hrs lastnight.Thanks for all your input guys.your ideas really made a big difference to my thinking of whats wrong