Installed Apex-i intake, had a couple problems, fixed em TIPS

confusatron

Aug 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yeah so I installed the Apex-i intake this afternoon, and cleaned the hell out of everything in there, including the maf sensor thing. Went through about a pint of lacquer thinner, a couple rolls of paper towels, and a few dozen Q-tips. Looks like new now.

When I started the car up, it started surging and sputtering like crazy, but wouldn't quite die. I realized like a dummy that I forgot to reconnect one vacuum hose. I started it back up and it stopped acting up. But when I went to hit the accelerator, it sputtered, until I let off the gas pedal. It would idle forward on its own okay, but as soon as i hit the gas it tried to die. So I reversed it back into my space and shut the car off. I then disconnected the negative battery cable, and let it sit for a few minutes to hopefully reset the ECU. Then when I started it back up it ran fine for a few feet, then started to sputter again. I put it in park and revved the engine slowly and steadily a half dozen or so times. After that, it ran fine, and seemed to get better the more I drove it. I drove it for about 5 miles and everything seems to be fine now.

Incidentally the new intake sounds nice, I can hear the turbo spooling a lot better now.

confusatron

Aug 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
robbo185 said:
i hope you didnt get the electronics wet

I dont think I did. some lacquer thinner splashed on the prongs for the black sensor on the maf unit, but evaporated right away. Any harm in spraying throttle body cleaner along the inside of the unit?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
confusatron said:
I dont think I did. some lacquer thinner splashed on the prongs for the black sensor on the maf unit, but evaporated right away. Any harm in spraying throttle body cleaner along the inside of the unit?

unless you removed the black box (sensor) then you destroyed it with the carb spray. :( any chemicals on it will destroy it in short order.

test it per the specs in the TSRM.

-shaeff

confusatron

Aug 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
shaeff said:
unless you removed the black box (sensor) then you destroyed it with the carb spray. :( any chemicals on it will destroy it in short order.

test it per the specs in the TSRM.

-shaeff

If i had, wouldn't it be running horribly now or something to that effect? It seems to be running good. Idles good, accelerates smoothly, turbo spools fine. What would the car start doing if that sensor were destroyed?

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
yeah, usually you can kill an afm by doing what you did. did it throw any codes after you were done?

confusatron

Aug 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
koulee said:
yeah, usually you can kill an afm by doing what you did. did it throw any codes after you were done?

Only when I had my initial problems with the sputtering upon hitting the gas pedal. See above explanation. There was a code at first, but it disappeared as soon as I got the bugs worked out and its running good now, or so it seems.

BTW, Shaeff, your "check codes" link is dead for some reason.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i predict AFM failure in your near future.

if you want to clean the inside of hte housing, you must REMOVE the sensor (the black box) and spray some break cleaner thru the housing.

never spray anything on the afm sensor it self.