installed a CT26 overheating? advice plz

samster

Jun 17, 2007
nyc
i swapped out my Ct26 since i had an exhaust leak, since i was there i thought might aswell swap the turbo. I just went for a test drive and it boosted fine. I'm having problems with my HKS EVC IV controller so i unhooked that and its was boostin around 6psi. But as i was geting air for the tires at the gas station and hopped back in the car the temperature gauge was hittin the 75% point and i shut off the car and went out to look the top radiator hose was stiff and hard, but to hot to touch. I hear a sizzling sound comin from the turbo:1zhelp: would it be i need to burp the system after the turbo installation? or mabe something is stuck in the turbo coolant system when sitting? anyone ever had a problem like this after swappin out the turbo? i've searched for a while and havn't found anything related to turbo prep after installation etc? i just plugged in the key and let the oil pressure build up before i started her up the turbos boostin fine but then it overs heat when i boost, i've never had this problem before the turbo swap so i'm sure its caused by the turbo? any tip and help appreciated thanks:icon_conf

samster

Jun 17, 2007
nyc
you mean as in unhook them form the turbo? and hook them together?
i think it only over heats when i boost?

samster

Jun 17, 2007
nyc
coolants clean oils fresh motor has about 60k swapped my old motor had a bhg it took along time before it started to over heat like that. i hear i sizzling or water sound comin from the turbo. Those coolant lines drained out when i removed the old turbo. so those lines are empty and when i place the turbo in it, it would mean theres air in the system? could that be a reason?

samster

Jun 17, 2007
nyc
can't i just run the car from cold with the radiator cap off? and when it get warmer i should see air packets/bubbles? would the coolant flow form the turbo lines? since its the same system? or does it have some certian type of vavle? thanks i assume its cause it picked up air from the empty turbo lines but i figgured it wasn't alot so i problly didn't have to burp the system. but it started pourin so i guess i'd try to burp it 1st before i waste bandwidht thanks for the input if anyone has anything esle that could be cause also just speak much appreciated =) thanks, But why when anyone ever ask anything everyone who owns a mkiii would point staright to BHG? lol

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Nomad707 said:
we point to BHG first hand, because 75% of the time, thats the problem.

Not to mention stock 7mgte's are notorious for blowing head gaskets.

you people need to stop bringin up the BHG if anything has the word overheat in it

1st off Turbos make ALOT of heat inmost cases they will turn red

driveing a car with a water cooled turbo hard is defently gona heat things up FASTER maybe to fast for the cooling system to cool down fact is its most likely air in the system from replaceing the turbo burp it and get back with us

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
ATL88Supra said:
you people need to stop bringin up the BHG if anything has the word overheat in it

1st off Turbos make ALOT of heat inmost cases they will turn red

driveing a car with a water cooled turbo hard is defently gona heat things up FASTER maybe to fast for the cooling system to cool down fact is its most likely air in the system from replaceing the turbo burp it and get back with us

Define "You people".

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
ATL88Supra said:
you defently are one to jump the gun about the BHG

With the attitude of most supra owners, the age and condition of the engines, and the abuse the 7m goes through:

NUMBERS DON'T LIE. Chances are if the car is overheating and its a 7m - BHG.

Take you're 11 posts and shoosh.

samster

Jun 17, 2007
nyc
yeah burped the radiator and is no longer over heating. We'll i don't blame noone for jumping the gun to BHG because i do only have 11 post lol, but im orginally from SF, but it seems like i get more mk3 related questions answered here more. Thats what i hear everyday and every where as if BHG's come daily to the supra. Well i blown out a BHG motor till it knocked till it couldn't knock no more, so i know how the sweet sweet smell of coolant is when ur tryin to spit coolant outta ur tailpipe on a porsche when you hit on it -=]

however i think this turbo might be bad or mabe my valve stem seals, car started to hufff pufff oil burn smoke after a hard drive on stop. hope its the turbo and not the stem seals from sitting the car. Means upgrades =]

thanks alot guys for the burpin adivce, i didn't even think about it untill when BHG came up and i thought about coolant related and air pockets.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
A properly operating coolant system will burp itself. You've either got BHG or a faulty cooing system in need of some repair/new parts, or you are jumping the gun too fast by not giving it enough time to burp itself.

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
number of posts has nothing to do with how much i know about the 7m and the problems it has so you take your jesus complex (3,355 posts) and talk to someone that cares,

on a other note was the turbo rebuilt or some junkyard pull ?

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
starscream5000 said:
A properly operating coolant system will burp itself. You've either got BHG or a faulty cooing system in need of some repair/new parts, or you are jumping the gun too fast by not giving it enough time to burp itself.

indeed

try leting it sit for 15 mins with the rad cap off and it should help it out alot or if you wana jeck for a BHG get a buddy to watch if bubbles come up when you rev the eng, in most cases you can see the gas comeing out of the rad
and smell the lovelyness of a bhg (trust me you will know the smell)