Importance of Y Pipe/Downpipe.

lifesnotfair

Dec 26, 2005
Dominican Republic
Hello folks.

I've been daily driving my 1JZ-GTE daily for a while now. Love it. I was thinking of maybe a little more power... The only upgrades I have are: HKS intake with very filthy filter (gonna buy a couple soon), and Tanabe exhaust (dunno which, as it came with the motor I bought).

I was thinking of a way to gain a few more HP without raising the boost. Is it actually possible?

Whatever the answer, I have another question. This product: http://935motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=79_14_144&products_id=1018

It says it can raise HP to 350. Of course I don't believe it! But seriously, how much will a Y Pipe + Downpipe combo help my stock twins? I must admit I'm a newb when it comes to exhaust... actually, when it comes to cars and everything about 'em. :p

Thanks for anyone who replies.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
lifesnotfair said:
Hello folks.

I've been daily driving my 1JZ-GTE daily for a while now. Love it. I was thinking of maybe a little more power... The only upgrades I have are: HKS intake with very filthy filter (gonna buy a couple soon), and Tanabe exhaust (dunno which, as it came with the motor I bought).

I was thinking of a way to gain a few more HP without raising the boost. Is it actually possible?

Whatever the answer, I have another question. This product: http://935motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=79_14_144&products_id=1018

It says it can raise HP to 350. Of course I don't believe it! But seriously, how much will a Y Pipe + Downpipe combo help my stock twins? I must admit I'm a newb when it comes to exhaust... actually, when it comes to cars and everything about 'em. :p

Thanks for anyone who replies.
actualy it is verry close the bigest restriction on the 1jz is the "y" pipe and to get the full advantage of a bigger "y" pipe comes more boost! since the factory "y" pipe is verry restrictive it bottlenecks and the heat in there is a lot so with a bigger "y" pipe you can push more gas out and get rid of a lot of heat and the ceramic turbos hate heat. so doing this can safley add more boost to achieve the full 350hp they are talking about but, just upgrading the exhaust alone wont really get you those specs but it will prolong your turbo life and allow you to boost more safely.:naughty:

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I picked up a chinaman y pipe/downpipe off ebay for something like $200us shipped from china. I couldn't pass up the deal, and it made a large difference in performance. Once you compare the stock y pipe/downpipe to a larger 2.5"/3" system, you will see that the stock is very restrictive.

Be warned though, taking off the twins is NOT a fun job. I've removed, and installed them twice, and I think I'm at my limit. Next time, I'm swapping them for a single.

Not to discourage you at all though. I had my y pipe/downpipe changed over in about 12 hours the first time I did it, and that was including a lunch break.

1JZ.747

Feb 20, 2006
australia
i made another 25 rwkw through an auto 1j in my cressida with twin dump pipes. though my tiwn dump pipes went form the back of the turbos down under the car and merged just before the cat convertor.

joey_daze

KILL UR CORPORATE MASTERS
Apr 6, 2005
Tung Chung, Hong Kong
1JZ.747 said:
you dont have to take the turbos off to get the factory dump pipe out.

Yes you do...

I just got my 1j running the other night. With Y-pipe my turbo's are spooling at 2g's and I can hear the turbo's through the tail pipe. They sound pretty damn good.

joey_daze

KILL UR CORPORATE MASTERS
Apr 6, 2005
Tung Chung, Hong Kong
joey_daze said:
Yes you do...

I just got my 1j running the other night. With Y-pipe my turbo's are spooling at 2g's and I can hear the turbo's through the tail pipe. They sound pretty damn good.

My bad bro.. I was thought you were referring to the stock y-pipe.

1JZ.747

Feb 20, 2006
australia
joey_daze said:
Yes you do...

no you dont, you just have to use your brain.

i have done it on 3 different cars.

you put 2 nuts onto each stud wind each stud out. spray with some WD40 allow it to soak for an hour. give it a little tap with a hammer and it just falls out the bottom.

pretty simple really.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
1JZ.747 said:
no you dont, you just have to use your brain.

i have done it on 3 different cars.

you put 2 nuts onto each stud wind each stud out. spray with some WD40 allow it to soak for an hour. give it a little tap with a hammer and it just falls out the bottom.

pretty simple really.

Any tricks on replacing the y-pipe on those turbos other than pulling the whole engine off??
I look at the turbos off the car in some pictures and they don't look too bad to change/replace, but I don't know for sure. People are making it sound like its a horror to take em off and replace the y-pipes on the car.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You can change the pipe while keeping the turbos on. All you have to do is remove the studs from the exhaust housings, which suprastanger507mgte told you how to do.

However, with some y-pipes, you may not be able to get it back ON this way. With my y-pipe, there was one bolt on each turbo that could not be threaded onto the stud due to clearance issues. The first time I put the pipe in, I just left them out, but this left me with a small exhaust leak when cold. The second time, I had to put the bolt in place, then thread the stud into it, then thread the stud into the exhaust housing (requiring the turbos off the car.

I would suggest that you try the method stated above to get the y-pipe out without removing the turbos. if you can't get the new pipe on, then remove the front turbo, and try again. If you still can't get it, remove both of them.

Watch out for the turbo oil ines on the bottom though. I tried leaving them on the block, and bending them out of the way to get the turbos off, which worked quite well, but it took hours to bend them back to get them on again.