I'm considering a Borla exhaust with dual tips. Need your opinions!

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Thanks for this informative link, Sawbladz: http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=18764

I called Magnaflow and they don't have any cutaway shots or specs on the internal piping!! From the link above, he suggests his modified raptor is better because:

"Magnaflow's 14816 muffler is a universal muffler with 3.5" double walled tips. This muffler is slightly different internally than the other universal muffler by magnaflow. Internally it has 2 2.25" tubes running from the tips to just before the input; which on the standard 14816 is a 2.25" input welded to a 2.5" base .

The other universal magnaflow are built differently; instead of 2 tubes running from the tips; they have 1 tube running from the input to just before the tips
."

So would the guts of the muffler be a 3" pipe that y's to the dual outlets near the end? What difference would this make for sound and flow compared to the other???

Edit: I found this testing info on another forum that suggests the Borla is quieter and flows better than the Magnaflow: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119518 Plus, no fiberglass to blow out! Only drawback is they are not polished and would probably look best painted black.

Last edited:

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
This looks odd, too much gap between the tips,
neu-akt.jpg

This on the other hand would look pretty awesome on your widebody
menu_05_products_muffler.jpg
muffler_sten.jpg

bitsnake

May 10, 2005
Dresden, Germany
Rajunz said:
This looks odd, too much gap between the tips,
neu-akt.jpg

that´s a Dynomaxx i mentioned before, too big and just ugly. But - that was the best regarding noise reduction due to the bigger volume. Same straight-throug design but just bigger.

@tekdeus: i´ll measure the tip and outlet distance on my borla today and let you know.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com

xturboexpress

Not new.
Mar 29, 2006
Dallas, TX
I think you need to be looking into a good pre-muffler or resonator... not a bigger rear muffler.

IMHO the borla with the wide-spaced tips looks pretty poor, little too rigged, little to un-supra like =)

If you wanted a custom job and not a new catback, i'd look at Tanabe Hyper Medalion mufflers or something like the Greddy SP2. Both very large oval cans, top-notch quality and good looks. Combine those with a Magnaflow/dynamax/borla/whatever 3"in/out round resonator/premuffler under the car and I'd think you'd be set.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, there are decent knock-offs of each on ebay =)

I always thought Megan made pretty decent stuff for the price... if you like its looks, I'd say just weld in a pre-muff and keep it.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
xturboexpress said:
I think you need to be looking into a good pre-muffler or resonator... not a bigger rear muffler.

IMHO the borla with the wide-spaced tips looks pretty poor, little too rigged, little to un-supra like =)
This makes a lot of sense. If I can get a huge quiet premuffler in there, then I can put a more JDM looking exhaust.

I do like the below photo. Anyone know where to get something like that in the US? It looks like dual SS 4" canisters with 3.5" tips.
menu_05_products_muffler.jpg

muffler_sten.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
bora makes shit i order in xr1 race muffler i just about though up when i saw it looked like junk no way it look liek it did in the pic and it's welds were crap as well all so sean some header's they make look like pace setter crap but wores they were for suby rs 2.5