I'm considering a Borla exhaust with dual tips. Need your opinions!

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
My Megan muffler has a very loud drone at cruising speeds and I'm considering a Borla muffler because it's the only brand I know of that uses stainless steel packing inside instead of fiberglass which always burns out and gets louder over time.

The options are a bit limited for a 3" inlet and they don't offer a nice polished unit in that size, so I'd probably paint the body of the muffler flat black and install borla tips. My dillemma is it's hard to imagine if this will look good on the car because the tips will be 3.5" and have a gap in between. I've created a mock-up image of how the whole unit might look once assembled. My car is going to be a widebody with a Kaminari rear bumper, so the large-looking exhaust might go well with the fat ass of the car (once the cutout on the bumper is widened)

What do you guys think?? Does the muffler & tips in the mock-up photo below look too big and ricey? The car's rear fenders will be widended about 3" per side. The photo is of another car with the bumper I will be using with the approximate muffler look:
borlakaminari.jpg

Tips I'm thinking of:
bor-20153_w.jpg

Approximate look of assembled set (Actual size on a 1024x768 17" LCD monitor)
Borla-tips2-actual.jpg

Last edited:

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
I really like the concept & direction you want to go. I think it will look good but getting the right size tips are essential. I don't think the mock up pics does it justice because it looks off scale & appears to be too big. However if its not I think 2.5" outlets w/3" tips max. I see what you mean about the spacing of the tips, kinda wide. Have you checked out a Magnaflow? Something like this? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MPE-12587&N=700+0&autoview=sku Not sure if it has SS packing are not.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I'll look into that Magnaflow, although they have fiberglass packing. I saw this photo of a polished magnaflow in the other thread. Although the inlet is too small at 2.5", the dual 3.5" tips don't appear too large, which made me consider the borla idea.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

14816.jpg

Last edited:

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
my next exhaust will have a dual tip but it will be the JIC BULLET one, I like the look of it the best... I'm not so fond of the one in your photochop to be honest.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I found another option: This 3" in magnaflow 2x2.5" out muffler with dual 3.5" tips would have only a 1/2" gap between the tips, so it would look very similar to the one on the red car pictured above.

The reason I'm thinking of a big-ass dual outlet muffler is because I want something reasonably quiet. My current straight-through muffler drones so much it hurts and music is hard to hear.
mpe-14288_w.jpg

Last edited:

bitsnake

May 10, 2005
Dresden, Germany
take a look at KnighRider´s Page

He had the Borla fitted for some time and then changed to a Dynomaxx UltraFlo cause the Borla was a bit to loud for big german citys. I saw both mufflers in reality on his car, the Borla looks very good in my opinion and is the only aftermarket stainless thats close enough to the original, the dynomaxx is much better with less noise (without power loss), but is very too big for the mkIII. He´s also on the board, maybe he has some more pics. Both are full stainless and well manufactured, the louder sound should be no problem in US i think. i would go for the Borla.

John

EDIT: forgot some important detail: he used it without the pre-silencer, direct pipe from cat to the muffler. The Borla isn´t realy "reasonable quiet" in this case and makes driving a bit uncomfortable from this. More a problem inside the car, outside it´s very nice.

Last edited:

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I did something similar, but its a single 3" in/out Borla with a 3.5" intercooled tip. I run a cat and resonator; at idle its pretty mellow, cruising its a little bit louder than stock (not too much), but when you get on it, its plenty loud enough (in my opinion). Overall, the sound is much deeper than the jap exhausts and not as loud.

In hindsight, I wish I would have chosen a larger cased muffler, I have the pro XS borla, which is a smaller oval case, mearly for the looks.

bitsnake

May 10, 2005
Dresden, Germany
Maybe they are 3,5, I can measure it tomorrow since i bought some of Knightrider´s parts last month (and exactly this muffler). i had choosen also the borla some time ago for it´s "close-to-stock" look and it was easier to take this as to import a new one. But the muffler comes with 2 1/4 outlets if new, you can choose any tips you like. And it´s reasonable priced also.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
tekdeus said:
I'll look into that Magnaflow, although they have fiberglass packing. I saw this photo of a polished magnaflow in the other thread. Although the inlet is too small at 2.5", the dual 3.5" tips don't appear too large, which made my consider the borla idea.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

14816.jpg

That muffler is on my car. I bought it from George @ raptor racing. This inlet was enlarged to 3 inches. There is absolutely no restriction in my muffler. The inner dimensions of the muffler flow at least as much volume as the 3 inch pipe before is. Plus the sound kicks ass. I do have a resonator before the muffler though. Hope that helps.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
bwest said:
I did something similar, but its a single 3" in/out Borla with a 3.5" intercooled tip. I run a cat and resonator; at idle its pretty mellow, cruising its a little bit louder than stock (not too much), but when you get on it, its plenty loud enough (in my opinion). Overall, the sound is much deeper than the jap exhausts and not as loud.

In hindsight, I wish I would have chosen a larger cased muffler, I have the pro XS borla, which is a smaller oval case, mearly for the looks.

I was considering the single intercooled tip as another option. Did you use the one below? Got any photos of it on the car?
bor-20120_122_w.jpg

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
yes that is the one, but no, I don't have any pics with me that would show it. I can look when I get home. The motor is out right now, so it looks a little funky just hanging there.

what I can tell you is there was a significant sound difference with and without it. It really smooths the exhaust tone. I had to have my brother clarify what I was hearing when I built the exhaust a few years ago.