ignitor

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
i am pretty sure my ignitor is faulty as the car doesnt get any spark after it heats itself up so i was wondering if anyone knew the part number of our ignitor so i can round one up. thanks

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
#89620-14440, but I wouldn't get one from the dealer as it'll run you over $300.
You should be able to get one from a guy who's done a jz swap or just has an extra lying around for quite a bit cheaper.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
My supra was doing the same thing. I found out that it was the "Main" ecu relay, the one by the battery under the hood. It was getting hot and malfunctioning. Just letting you know, it's only $12 or so, but get it from the dealership. And if it is the ignitor, buy one used from here, it will save you big $$.

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
jmcboost said:
My supra was doing the same thing. I found out that it was the "Main" ecu relay, the one by the battery under the hood. It was getting hot and malfunctioning. Just letting you know, it's only $12 or so, but get it from the dealership. And if it is the ignitor, buy one used from here, it will save you big $$.

how can you tell if that is my problem? my ignitor gets very hot thats why i started there also what is the thing on the left side fender taht looks similar to the ignitor because taht gets very hot also?

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
fuel injector resistor. resistors get hot by nature, the ignitor may be getting some bad signals causing it to overheat... any codes?

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
IHI-RHC7 said:
fuel injector resistor. resistors get hot by nature, the ignitor may be getting some bad signals causing it to overheat... any codes?

no codes and the motor is running at around 170. the ignitor is about 125 so idk if that is excessive heat or not?

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Well, my issue was actually with the relay and not with the ignitor. I would check all of the grounds and wiring in the engine bay first. After that, start checking and swapping parts. I beleive there is a way to take a multimeter to those parts and test them also. However they may be acting different under heat. The reason why I said something about the relay is because the ECU can also control the ignitor and not allow it to fire. I have a spare coil pack if you troubleshoot it to that point and need it. Hope you figure it out.