Ignition timing question

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I had some questions about my timing. I wanted to check my timing today so I hooked everything up and i noticed it was past 15.It didnt look like much so i dialed in the advance to see what it was at and it said it was at 35 at idle:aigo: . So my friend revved it to 2500 to see waht total timing was at it said it was at 100:runaway: :eek: . I immediatly got another gun and rechecked it and it was the samething. I decided to go ahead and retard it that much and it idled smoother and the turbo spools superfast but has no power anymore and my vaccum guage reads 19 instead of 21 and I cant pull decent vaccum under cruise. I set it to 12 with that gun but my friends bringing my gun back tonite so I can recheck it. It doesnt like to be driven less then 2k rpms since then and it hesitates to take off. I havent checked the cam timing yet as i thought it might have jumped a tooth. also do you check the timing on #1 or #6 cuz alldata told me it was #6. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aaron J Williams

Make It So!!!
Jul 23, 2006
Luck, Wisconsin
You check it on # 6 but you have to jumper between two terminals on the diagnostic connector to get to base timing. There should be a sticker under the hood that tells which 2 terminals.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Since I'm having so much fun tonight I'll throw out a bone before I go. It's the least I can do for the entertainment that was provided ;)

You can check it on either 1 or 6 (it's a waste spark DLI system) but the IDL contact in the TPS *must* be closed in order to set initial timing. The idle rpm must also be correct but the IDL contact should take care of that too.

Don't know how to check and see if the IDL contact is closed? There are several methods. I'm sure someone will chime in. Or search. Me, I'm too lazy to write it all out...again.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Jet: Good to see you posting again.

89turbo - Im not sure where you are getting your figures, due to the fact that the timing marks on the cover only go so far.

If you don't have a safc or fuel piggy back computer, set the timing at 12deg base, with the jumper in.

If you do have a safc or fuel piggy, set it at 10deg.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I got those numbers from using the advance dial on the timing gun itself to line the marks up on the 0 mark. I dont think it was accurate at all thats why I wanted to double check it with my gun that I know works (I was at school and used their gun at the time). When I first put the light on it didnt look to far above the 15 mark but even thats too much.