I come from a land down under
Mine has "Pong" :icon_razz

pong-01.png

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Poodles said:
vista is the single biggest DOWNGRADE you could possibly do right now...

There are so many people who would disagree with the two of us on this issue.

The reason these people give is always something superficial;
The aero interface
Direct X 10
Next-Gen Applications

To me, the only upside to Vista is the ability to address more system memory, and that is it. With each iteration of Windows it becomes more and more bloated and out of control, so that ability to have more memory [4GB and up] is more out of NEED than want.

August's Maximum PC shows the graphical difference between DirectX9 and 10, and it's so minimal that it's really not worth it.

New PCs will ship with Vista though, and it's going to be awhile before you see a system that really cooks with it installed. Might be Pentium 5 or 6 time before Vista loads and performs as fast as some people's XP boxes do.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
XP is bloated as well.. I run a VERY stripped down version of windows 2003...

they did benchmarks with clean installs of XP and Vista and the benchmarks where far lower on Vista. Vista can NOT access more than 2gigs or RAM (XP can, so can 2003), but it has a FAR larger footprint than either of the older OS's leaving less RAM for applications.

I'm waiting for the next generation server OS to come out and the rumors is it's going to have the Vista interface, but can be turned off..

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I use firefox. Web pages that won't load in FF? No problem, I have a plugin installed that opens a page in an IE tab inside of FF. It's awesome.

I use Vista as well, and there is one feature that I can't live without anymore. The new start menu is far superior for any of us old school command line geeks - press the windows key on the keyboard, and type whatever you want to run. M$ Word is windows key + word, press Enter, DONE. Excel is windows key + Exce, Enter, DONE. You can start literally anything on your PC this way, including any documents, programs, control panel applets, ANYTHING. The only reason I touch the mouse these days is to play games.

The rest of Vista is definitely bloated junk.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I bet there is a small app that will do that for you on XP as well...

isn't it funny how we didn't have the mouse and old keyboard and keyboard commands, then the mouse came along, now people want hotkeys?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I've always been a keyboard warrior, but then, I've been using computers for a long time, and typewriters before that.

This would be tough to do with a small app, as Vista indexes every file on your computer and uses the indexes to narrow the available choices as you type.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I haven't come across a webpage that failed to work with an unmodified copy of Firefox in years. I use Opera occasionally, as its "Reload Every" feature is much better than the extension version for Firefox. Any company who designs a website for IE-only is way behind the times.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Resetting/reconfiguring my router and making space between my router, modem and other powered devices increased the speed of the internet ALOT!

There is little or no delay surfing from one website or another now.

Just thought id share. If any of you have all your stuff piled on top of one another, near your computer or other powered devices this is something to try!

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
im not wireless if that is what you mean.

But I read that these devices interfere with one another. And that really no powered source should be near your modem at all.

This goes for DSL and Cable. DSL is affected easier.

DSL modems should have the shortest phone cord possible from the outlet. The longer it is the more interference it can absorb. Don't have the cord wrap around electrical wires.

Try not to use splitters with dsl modems either.