I need lots of help picking a laptop for college...i'm SOO lost on this one!

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
mkIIIman089 said:
And sound quality out of the speakers on a laptop? Dream on, it just isn't going to happen. Get some good quality headphones (I like Sennheiser).

I would just like to clarify - I DO NOT think that laptop speakers can produce sound worth a hoot all i care is that it can process and handle a higher-quality output and that it can process and record an input in higher-quality. just something that isn't bottom end...i've seen a guy that was payed to do a live recording and he used a laptop, and i'm not saying i would want to do that nor would it work well, but i'm sure some laptops (hopefully most) could record one or two channels in good quality without an external recording system... and that would also probably have good output.

my PC has integrated sound, and while it does it's job its lackluster and makes me want a sound card. which i will get, because i can install one. with a laptop of course i cant easily open up the case and install something new so i needed some help on finding out about laptop audio hardware. NOT the speakers. i've already been shown one link to an external add-on card.

just thought i'd say that so nobody else thought i was looking for a bad-arse stereo out of 1/2 inch laptop drivers. lol

Last edited:

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The dell M1210 has been really good to me. I used it my senior year and double majored in computer science/engineering.

I usually flip computers every 5-6 months, but I actually have had this one for about a year and a half - I just think it's the perfect size, power, etc for what I need. I can't see replacing this anytime in the near future. I don't game, so I can't really comment on its abilities there, but it hasn't had a hiccup running 7-8 hardcore programs at one time.

A new replacement just came out, so you can get the m1210 cheaper than ever. Dell outlet (refurbs, open box, etc.) are actually quite good, so don't shy away from them.

Both the MacBook and PowerBook are excellent machines - if you want an Apple. They can run XP and Vista pretty well.

My configuration: 2 GB ram, 100 gb 7200 rpm hd, 256 mb video memory (though some is shared), 2.0 ghz core2duo. If you end up considering this computer, don't waste your money on soundBlaster audigy - it does not work well with this system.

Toshiba is a great value - I don't like them as much, but if you want a bigger screen, 2 gb ram, a large hardrive, and a premium processor, you can't find a better value than a Toshiba.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
dugums said:
The dell M1210 has been really good to me. I used it my senior year and double majored in computer science/engineering.

I usually flip computers every 5-6 months, but I actually have had this one for about a year and a half - I just think it's the perfect size, power, etc for what I need. I can't see replacing this anytime in the near future. I don't game, so I can't really comment on its abilities there, but it hasn't had a hiccup running 7-8 hardcore programs at one time.

A new replacement just came out, so you can get the m1210 cheaper than ever. Dell outlet (refurbs, open box, etc.) are actually quite good, so don't shy away from them.

Both the MacBook and PowerBook are excellent machines - if you want an Apple. They can run XP and Vista pretty well.

My configuration: 2 GB ram, 100 gb 7200 rpm hd, 256 mb video memory (though some is shared), 2.0 ghz core2duo. If you end up considering this computer, don't waste your money on soundBlaster audigy - it does not work well with this system.

Toshiba is a great value - I don't like them as much, but if you want a bigger screen, 2 gb ram, a large hardrive, and a premium processor, you can't find a better value than a Toshiba.

why dont you like toshiba's as much? oh and what programs did/have you run at once that are CPU/ram intensive?
thanks for the info. so far from what i've heard Dell, sony and Toshiba seem to sound nice....

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Figit090 said:
why dont you like toshiba's as much? oh and what programs did/have you run at once that are CPU/ram intensive?
thanks for the info. so far from what i've heard Dell, sony and Toshiba seem to sound nice....

Just a personal preference thing about Toshiba's. Much of it just has to do with packaging - dark blue glossy paint on the lids takes fingerprints way too easily, latch is clumsy, position/performance of touchpad -- many things like this -- again, nothing wrong with them at all, just little fit and finish things that bothered me. You may not have issues with stuff like that, I am sort of particular.

Pretty much everyday I find myself running 5-6 programs out of the Adobe Web Premium Bundle simultaneously alongside Eclipse (just a programming IDE) and Visual Studio. Also, miscellaneous programs are usually being used at the same time (Itunes, Firefox, and Notepad++ are pretty much always open.) SolidWorks also gets used every now and again.

I always used to clean up my running programs, even if it was just going to be a short time before I would need them again. This computer has performed flawlessly, and I have no problems jumping back and forth between programs, even performing simultaneous processing chores. This helps my productivity quite a bit as I really enjoy being able to work on different projects at the same time.

There are plenty of computers out there with great performance/specs, the M1210 is just perfect for me. I like everything right down to how the buttons on the keyboard feel when they are pressed.

A word of caution though: some people find the screen to be too small -- I don't have any issues with it though.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Figit, I would advise you with all my wisdom to stay as far away from Dell as humanly possible. I have yet to hear anyone that has had consistent good experiences dealing with thier customer service. I'd rather build my own computer out of spare pieces of silicone and tin than buy a dell.

A coworker of mine bought an Acer Ferrari (their top of the line high performance laptop); it's had the screen replaced twice: once for dead pixles and the other for some unknown colouration problems (didn't get a good explanation). The motherboard has been replaced 3 times due to heat failure as well. Not bad for a $3500 laptop.

A very good friend of mine bought a mid-ranged Acer, of whom's motherboard failed. Futureshop took 89 days to fix it, and it still has random blue screening problems and the fan sounds like it's grinding a squirrel.

My uncle has an older Sony, which in all honesty, was a very good laptop... battery lasted less than 6 months though (after 6 months battery life was about 15 minutes). It's several years old now, and the battery lasts 10 seconds (literally). Internally, a solid laptop. I wouldn't shy away from a sony.

A guy I played warcraft with had an Alienware top of the line unit... it had blown 2 motherboards, a hard drive, and had the graphics card replaced once. Alienware's service was, however, quite fast and they paid all the expenses. It was a kickass laptop... when it worked. It had too much horsepower and not enough radiator.

I bought a Toshiba P30-JC1 laptop almost 3 years ago. It's had a hard drive failure and a few sticks of bad ram. It's been through many airports, on plenty of planes, and lots of road trips. Probably has 50 days of WoW played on it, and plenty of other high demand games for extended periods. All in all, it was a solid laptop, and if I could go back and do it again, I would buy it without a warranty... that's how good it was.

My mom's toshiba was purchased with a failed hard drive in the box, Future Shop immediately took it back, begged forgiveness, and gave us a new one. This unit ran Win98, and has recently upgraded to Xp and runs as well as can be expected from an 800MHz pentium 3. It's now atleast 8 years old and runs strong with good battery life.

Previous to my P30 Toshiba, I had an ECS Systems Green 741 laptop... it was pretty good for it's time, and very pricey. The ethernet hardline port on the back actually broke off of the motherboard, so I had to use a PCMCIA ethernet card to use the internet. It also had a video driver glitch that caused it to bluescreen about once every week or two. Nothing overly serious... it did bake a couple of capacitors on the mother board, but I dissasembled it and resaughtered new ones on the mobo to fix it. Unfortunately it died of hardware problems unknown... two years later my P30 baked a stick of RAM, and displayed the exact same symptoms as the ECS laptop did when it died off. So I took the good stick out of my P30 and put it in the ECS and it fired up like it was new. The ECS is in my basement in a bag, awaiting the day a fuel management system goes in my supra, then it shall live again.

Last edited:

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I haven't had a consistently good support service with ANY computer manufacturer except Apple and Dell XPS. I don't really depend heavily on support, but Dell's XPS support line and chat service has done a FANTASTIC job for me.

I wouldn't call the XPS line great, but it is better than the standard Dell Service.

All this aside, you should buy a computer based on it's reliability and performance. The goal is to get a machine that many people recommend, as there is probably a reason. It is much better to buy a machine that will likely give you trouble-free service than to not buy a machine because if it does give you trouble the service is bad.

Keros: You seem to have examples of problems with Acer's and Toshiba's, but never qualify your initial statement against Dell. It sounds like you are not recommending their product because, by word-of-mouth, you have heard there service stinks - is this right? -- or do you actually have some experience with their product that is responsible for this opinion?

I am just wondering, because I sort of had a similar opinion of Dell prior to purchasing the M1210 - I had never bought one because people told me they did not perform well and that support was weak. This M1210 has completely changed my mind about Dell's products and service. I have had at least 15 laptops in my life, many that I liked very much. But this one is, without a doubt, the best laptop I have ever owned.

Again, I don't game or anything like that, so if that's what you're into, it may not be the right one for you...

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
dugums said:
Keros: You seem to have examples of problems with Acer's and Toshiba's, but never qualify your initial statement against Dell. It sounds like you are not recommending their product because, by word-of-mouth, you have heard there service stinks - is this right? -- or do you actually have some experience with their product that is responsible for this opinion?

That's a fair question, and I had it very well responded to... and then I decided I needed to close the window, and lost a 3000 word essay. L2UseMSword... :3d_frown:

Anyway, perhaps I was mistaken to attack their tech support as my fundamental reason for disliking Dell. For this, I apologize, for I was mistaken.

The problems I have with Dell don't start at customer service or tech support, although I have seen it be utterly worthless (specific example available). I hate Dell because they are cooperate pigs conning uninformed consumers out of their money.

When I built my computer, I could have bought it from Dell for $5000. Yeah... no. I instead bought the parts to assemble a superior computer from a local store for about $2700 and built it myself, as that two of my roommates had done before me. One of them, who also built his from the ground up, suffered a complete computer failure... he took it back to the shop on monday, and tuesday morning they called him and told him his video card had failed and they didn't have it instock. So they upgraded his video card and told him to pick it up at his convenience.

Anyway, on with the practical example:

p705886_1.jpg

p705886_2.jpg

These are easily among the best computers you could possibly build right now with off the shelf retail parts. My computer on the other hand, was a half step back (not top of the line, but almost). In the above Dell shot, that is before shipping/taxes (it was taken to show that the computers are straight across the board identical). After taxes are applied in Alberta and shipping to my house, the total is $8065.54. Where the fuck does that extra $2287.22 worth of computer come from? Fuck, you could buy a damn nice computer for that and have one for the wife too. For nearly 2300 dollars more, that Dell had better sing, dance, and serve wine and cheese while I play Supreme Commander.

I can list specific examples if they are needed, but in my opinion, Dell is overpriced and overrated junk intended for uninformed and lazy consumers. 2300 bucks is ALOT of money. That's food for nearly a year, or alot of supra parts, or a vacation. I fail to see how Dell's computer will be $2300 better than one I assembled from Memory Express. If you think it would be any different with a bottom of the barrel computer, it's not. Dell lists all their computers before they add in any warranty at all, and then they charge +300 bucks for the warranty. I tried building the cheapest computer possible at Dell, $834.00 shipped to me. Memory Express built a very comparable computer for $560. Take that however you like.

My advice is to go to a place like EB Games, or wherever computer gamers hang out, and ask someone about a good place to get a computer. Most gamers and computer nerds love nothing more than to help a guy out. I was in Future Shop one day and a lady and her daughter (who was reasonably attractive) were getting sold by a salesman. He was trying to sell her some overpriced super laptop for 2500 bucks so that her daughter could do her homework and surf the web. The salesman walked away after I took him to task, he didn't know jackshit about computers (futureshop pays on commission)... Anyway, I showed her the computers she should be looking at and told her to go to memory express and tell them you need a computer for X and Y. The point is that uninformed consumers get taken to town at the till and businesses laugh all the way to the bank.

Dell is overpriced and overrated shit in a box. If I were starving and Dell had the last meal on this planet, I wouldn't give them a dime to satisfy their bank accounts.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Profit, warranty repairs, customer service, overhead, assembly time.

I'm not saying your points aren't valid, but to be honest, I don't enjoy assembling computers. I have done two before, but it's a waste of time for me. In most cases, I have found buying a pre-built machine to be cheaper than actually building one yourself (I usually buy midrange computers, not upper end gaming systems). The manufacturers don't pay anything close to what you or I pay for hardware.

For the purposes of this post, I am not recommending anything like the machines you are talking about.

The M1210 can be had <$1000.00 w/2gb ram, 100 gb 7200 rpm HD, Vista Premium, Upgraded video and a Core 2 Duo > 2.0ghz. All this, wrapped up in a small package. You would be hard-pressed to build this machine for cheaper. It's not easy building a small laptop like this either and having it turn out well.

There will always be large profit margins on the best machines out there. These computers are for people with means and who want the latest and greatest. They charge that much because they can -- would you expect anything else?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Wasn't endorsing Vista, just stating specs of the machine.

I run XP pro and Ubuntu on the M1210. My PowerBook runs XP, OSX, Vista, Fedora, and Ubuntu. I need to have immediate access to multiple OS's for work.

To the OP - don't forget if you're in school you get all sorts of education discounts on hardware and ESPECIALLY software. Use them!