I need lots of help picking a laptop for college...i'm SOO lost on this one!

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
I'm going to get a laptop for college but i'm not sure what's good, what i need , or what to look for once i know what i need...if i was shopping for a PC i could do it myself but frankly this is a whole new ballpark.

my parents want to get me what i NEED, but they said i could get what i WANT as long as cover the extra cost for upgrades and such beyond the basic laptop package.

i also dont know what a good size and weight limit is. i dont want it to be a nuisance that i dread taking with me to school or taking out of whatever case i have to use it in class, but i'm not sure if i want something really small either.... i just dont know!

so with this thread i'm hoping for some experienced people with laptops, hopefully lots of past or current college students that KNOW what it's like, to chime in... i dont want to rely on salesman and ads posted in stores because sofar thats all i have besides friends in my position that have laptops but arent in college yet either.

also i was hoping to be able to do sound recordings using good advanced recording programs, so a laptop that can handle that and give me quality sound is a MAJOR plus because i'm very into music. but i dont know what is required to achive good sound, what kind of sound card or anything. I would also dearly love the ability to plug it into my home theatre system and get good sound that wont sound bad turned up. i have a PC with integrated sound and it cant process input or output sound for very well at all. distortion in the bass...it cant handle even the lowest of recording rates...and i'd love to fix that with my new laptop. i dont need a super computer...just a good one.

like i said laptops are a whole new world to me...so i'd REALLY REALLY appriciate any help...

thanks in advance everybody... :)

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
My honest advice is don't get a laptop and don't take one to class. It just provides an extra distraction and limits your ability to write effective notes (especially if you're going an engineering route).

I used to have one, but I found myself surfing the interwebs too much and not paying attention to priority one. And when I tried to take notes in math/engineering based classes it became an INCREDIBLE pain in the ass. So I sold it and used that money to upgrade my desktop and just use pen and paper in class.

But that's just me :)

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Dual core processor, to help with multitasking. You don't need a powerhouse of a processor, but I absolutely recommend two cores.
More memory [RAM] than what most simple laptops come with. 1GB is good. 2 is better.
Built in wireless for the simple pleasures, like tapping into a friend's, neighbor's or even the local coffee shop's wireless internet to help you get some research done. Some college kids probably rely on this. 802.11A/B are slow. G is probably what you want. If speed isn't advertised - meh, you'll be fine.
As far as laptop size, a 15.4" screen is a good standard - enough to be viewable and not too bulky. It also should allow for a slightly better battery life than a 17".

I also recommend XP Pro as opposed to Vista. Your processor/RAM will like you more.

Laptop audio is usually kinda crappy, but for sound, I just saw this:
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=16642

Get that with a nice set of surround headsets or "buds" and it looks like a winner. It even looks to have a "breakout box" to hook up 5.1/7.1 audio systems.

Multifunction disc recorder - CD-RW/DVD-RW combo drive.

Hard drive capacity is your preference. You can determine your needs better than I can. If you want, you can always buy an external hard drive for big files that you keep and plug in at home, and have a regular capacity hard drive come with your laptop. This is more cost efficient than just buying a large capacity hard drive for a laptop [they cost more], and how much space are you really going to need when on-the-go?

You want a wall charger AND a car charger, definitely. An extra battery is your choice. I would recommend a flash drive of some sort to carry around with you for quick little data transfers between friends.

NastyNate

Jun 21, 2007
SA,TX
toshiba makes one that you can spin the screen around and lay it flat. It also has a stylus so you can do that and write notes on the screen. it then transfers to a saveable file. Then you don't have to worry about losing paper notes, having pens, or a lot oxtra crap.

Another thing to do is find a computer that is easily upgradeable. Don't buy the fastest, biggest hard drive crap. If you have an ounce of mechanical skill you can buy that stuff, install it yourself and save a ton of cash.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I strongly suggest Toshiba. Infact, I wouldn't recommend anything else. I have had personal experience with a "gaming" style toshiba, and for the shit I put that thing through, it was amazing. My mom has a satillite that's approaching 8 years old and still chugging strong. I know numerous other people who run Toshibas, and no one ever says anything beyond the normal heat issues that laptops suffer. I've heard plenty of ciscero, sony, acer horror stories though.

Laptops are about compromise, decide what you want to use it for and go for it. The less horsepower under the bonnet, the long the battery will last. The smaller the screen, the lighter (generally) the overall package will be. Less powerful laptops run cooler and last longer than high performance "gaming" systems.

Size does matter... smaller laptops designed for portability are probably what you'll want if you plan to lug it around all day. That alone is likely enough to steer you in that direction.

Sound quality... laptop... generally don't go together. Drunk Medic has prime advice in terms of an external sound card. He's also correct on wireless, memory, ect. I agree completely. Anything "built-in" in a laptop system is going to sacrifice everything for size, weight, and power consumption... so the speakers are going to leave much to be desired. Get a good set of headphones and an awesome external sound card, or it will always suck no matter what laptop you get, lol.

Generally speaking, you cannot easily upgrade a laptop, so for most intents and purposes what you buy is what you'll be stuck with until you buy another unit. Keep in mind that XP is going to be getting phased out slowly by Vista. I'd recommend going Vista off the hop. The difference is minimal.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
wow great stuff guys i really appreciate all this!! not knowing much about laptops in conjunction with all the stupid-ass sites like dell confusing me with offers is hell on picking. i had hell picking this PC and i know its going to be a bitch picking another computer.

Did anyone else notice how dell switches up the deals on a bi-weekly basis? and there are different deals on the same computer based on where you click? yeah... i had such a hard time finding a deal and then when i found one the next day it would be gone. that URL erased and all new "deals" setup. I.E. discounts or free upgrades that would morph by the day. IT'S SO STUPID!!! once i hit refresh and watched the deals change, that same day! its BS.

but anyway...here we go;
Ckanderson said:
smaller the better.

Definitely sounds true. and i'm sure battery performance, like was said, will be improved with the tinier screen.

SupraDerk said:
My honest advice is don't get a laptop and don't take one to class. It just provides an extra distraction and limits your ability to write effective notes (especially if you're going an engineering route).

I used to have one, but I found myself surfing the interwebs too much and not paying attention to priority one. And when I tried to take notes in math/engineering based classes it became an INCREDIBLE pain in the ass. So I sold it and used that money to upgrade my desktop and just use pen and paper in class.

But that's just me :)

That's very interesting advice. It's hard to choose that when my parents say they'll buy me a laptop. and we have a "family" computer at home that we all share and it seemed like getting a laptop might work best. should i consider getting a PC? i'd probably be pretty tempted to get serious with upgrades if i did...but then i don't know how much free time i'll have for things like gaming. but i'd like to start messing around with CAD software to try my hand at designing things....i dont know how much a notebook can handle? your response complicates my decision. dont get me wrong though i'm glad you said that.

drunk_medic said:
Dual core processor, to help with multitasking. You don't need a powerhouse of a processor, but I absolutely recommend two cores.
More memory [RAM] than what most simple laptops come with. 1GB is good. 2 is better.
Built in wireless for the simple pleasures, like tapping into a friend's, neighbor's or even the local coffee shop's wireless internet to help you get some research done. Some college kids probably rely on this. 802.11A/B are slow. G is probably what you want. If speed isn't advertised - meh, you'll be fine.
As far as laptop size, a 15.4" screen is a good standard - enough to be viewable and not too bulky. It also should allow for a slightly better battery life than a 17".

I also recommend XP Pro as opposed to Vista. Your processor/RAM will like you more.

Laptop audio is usually kinda crappy, but for sound, I just saw this:
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=16642

Get that with a nice set of surround headsets or "buds" and it looks like a winner. It even looks to have a "breakout box" to hook up 5.1/7.1 audio systems.

Multifunction disc recorder - CD-RW/DVD-RW combo drive.

Hard drive capacity is your preference. You can determine your needs better than I can. If you want, you can always buy an external hard drive for big files that you keep and plug in at home, and have a regular capacity hard drive come with your laptop. This is more cost efficient than just buying a large capacity hard drive for a laptop [they cost more], and how much space are you really going to need when on-the-go?

You want a wall charger AND a car charger, definitely. An extra battery is your choice. I would recommend a flash drive of some sort to carry around with you for quick little data transfers between friends.

I'm definitely hoping for a dual core and dell has dealson 2GB ram with 160GB hard drive. but who knows about how long that will last and i havent even looked at other makers yet, Toshiba, Acer, Gateway (if they have notebooks) and others... in time i'll get through all of them. and you might read my reply to Keros because i mentioned why i liked your find on the sound card idea.

the reason i wanted a good laptop was also because i was going to devote most if not all of my computing time on my own computer wherever i feel rather than sharing our desktop with my dad, but it is pretty nice and i could get a new sound and grafix card and have a pretty slick powerhouse...i just dunno!!

NastyNate said:
toshiba makes one that you can spin the screen around and lay it flat. It also has a stylus so you can do that and write notes on the screen. it then transfers to a saveable file. Then you don't have to worry about losing paper notes, having pens, or a lot oxtra crap.

Another thing to do is find a computer that is easily upgradeable. Don't buy the fastest, biggest hard drive crap. If you have an ounce of mechanical skill you can buy that stuff, install it yourself and save a ton of cash.

Very intriguing, i've liked the concept but i've never actually SEEN one of those, and i havent heard anything about their actual usability. sure it can do it, but is it seamless and easy as paper? like SupraDurk said pen and paper is seemingly a good way to go... but if i could get a stylus unit that did that it would rock. the only MAJOR problem is a rather low-featured one at newegg is 1400 dollars! and for that i can get twice the memory and twice the HD at Dell...without the swivel of couse. unless i find a nice one for 1k or less i cant get it. i get to fund the extra cost of basically anything over 650ish.

and i have good memory sticks :) if i can find them :cry: :3d_frown:
are you sure you can upgrade laptop internals yourself? i'm thinking something at least 160GB or around there is good enough and i can backup my HD and/or have an external for the photos, and movies if i even have time for them.

Keros said:
I strongly suggest Toshiba. Infact, I wouldn't recommend anything else. I have had personal experience with a "gaming" style toshiba, and for the shit I put that thing through, it was amazing. My mom has a satillite that's approaching 8 years old and still chugging strong. I know numerous other people who run Toshibas, and no one ever says anything beyond the normal heat issues that laptops suffer. I've heard plenty of ciscero, sony, acer horror stories though.

Laptops are about compromise, decide what you want to use it for and go for it. The less horsepower under the bonnet, the long the battery will last. The smaller the screen, the lighter (generally) the overall package will be. Less powerful laptops run cooler and last longer than high performance "gaming" systems.

Size does matter... smaller laptops designed for portability are probably what you'll want if you plan to lug it around all day. That alone is likely enough to steer you in that direction.

Sound quality... laptop... generally don't go together. Drunk Medic has prime advice in terms of an external sound card. He's also correct on wireless, memory, ect. I agree completely. Anything "built-in" in a laptop system is going to sacrifice everything for size, weight, and power consumption... so the speakers are going to leave much to be desired. Get a good set of headphones and an awesome external sound card, or it will always suck no matter what laptop you get, lol.

Generally speaking, you cannot easily upgrade a laptop, so for most intents and purposes what you buy is what you'll be stuck with until you buy another unit. Keep in mind that XP is going to be getting phased out slowly by Vista. I'd recommend going Vista off the hop. The difference is minimal.

Toshiba seems nice from what i've heard here.. what have you heard bad about those other brands? you can PM me that info or here i dont care but i'd love to hear specifics.

I totally didnt think about the possibility of an external sound card. that one that was linked for me has sound sampling rate that's the highest in Amplitube's preferences so i'm guessing it's really up there and should work great. they said in a review you could plug a guitar or a mic right in - thats exactly what i wanted! and i could not use it if i wanted to. the only thing a review mentioned was something to do with the soundblaster not liking vista...maybe something to do with memory like was said. it guess it eats it up a bit.

so if i got that i'd probably be fine with integrated sound rather than buying one with a sound card and then getting the external too right?

BorHor said:
You are probably not looking for a mac.. but MacBooks are cool.

I am looking at Macs actually. at this point everything is an option. and while i've heard some weirdness about the longevity of apples from one friend of mine, how apple designs things to only outlast the warranty.. but i'm listening!! :naughty: :naughty: i've had two female friends of mine break their macbooks, more than once in fact...so its discouraging. but they aren't very careful with their electronics in general...it still comes to mind, but if i'm convinced otherwise...the look nice.

well that's it for now.

i'm also kinda not sure where i should go about buying a laptop. anyone reccomend a site online?

i should probably try out the feel of any laptops i think about purchasing, right?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your help everybody!!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Acers blow... The screen on my moms is practically falling off (the places where the screen hinges on are cracking) and they wont do anything about it.

I would honestly go the route of an awesome desktop. That way if you're bored and feel like playing a few games you can actually play them w/o all the waiting/lagging.

And if you're super worried about losing paper notes, buy a lexmark all in one (<$50)and scan them in everyday.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Figit090 said:
That's very interesting advice. It's hard to choose that when my parents say they'll buy me a laptop. and we have a "family" computer at home that we all share and it seemed like getting a laptop might work best. should i consider getting a PC? i'd probably be pretty tempted to get serious with upgrades if i did...but then i don't know how much free time i'll have for things like gaming. but i'd like to start messing around with CAD software to try my hand at designing things....i dont know how much a notebook can handle? your response complicates my decision. dont get me wrong though i'm glad you said that.

Are they not willing to pay for a desktop? If they are then you could build a faaaaaaaaaaaaaar better desktop than any laptop that you'd buy for about a lot less, about $500 to $1000 depending on your knowledge of computers (getting the most optimization for the lowest $$$)

I do lots of simulations and CAD stuff in regards to circuit design and I also usi it for designing my senior design project. Plus it's one less thing to worry about getting damaged or stolen throughout the day.

Here's a page of my notes from one of my classes

notes.jpg

That was on the board for all of about 3-4 minutes (just the schematic, I made all the small notes while drawing it and for like 5-10 minutes after it was gone), so you can see where trying to do that on a laptop would kind of hinder you and in the long run hurt you. Like someone said, you could get a laptop that allows you to use a stylus and just write notes that way, but those bad boys cost a good bit of money and it seems like a lot of money to pay for something $1 worth of pen and $1 worth of paper could accomplish.

I still have all of my notes from every class I've ever taken in perfect sequence too, all hand written :naughty: ...well, minus a few months when I went through the laptop phase...

And you should MAKE time for things like gaming, friends, family, chicks... haha. Focusing on school only will make you go insane, so its nice to have a machine around that can handle some Crysis or some Battlefield 2142 when you need a break

Just my $0.02 though, haha. If a laptop is something you really want then you should get one, I just view them as impractical. Good luck though on your decision and in school :bigthumb:

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Cool thing about a MacBook is you can also run the emulator called Parallel with will allow you to run Windows XP. I also like the small size and awsome battery life.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I love my macbook pro C2D. Thats probably a smidge out of your price range though.

I recommend going with a normal macbook. Parellels is OK but you take a huge performance hit from running 2 OSes at once. I recommend bootcamp any day though which will allow you to run XP or Vista very easily.

And sound quality out of the speakers on a laptop? Dream on, it just isn't going to happen. Get some good quality headphones (I like Sennheiser).

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
XPS M1210 - you can get it for $900 on delloutlet.com

Dual core T7200, 1Gb ram, 120Gb hdd, rotating webcam (hypoid mic, so you can record your classes - audio only, or +video)

Also sprung for the 256mb go7400 - I played Command and Conquer 3 on it with no problems ;)

I've got the 9 cell battery - I get about 3.5-4.0 hours average usage from the one battery. I paid $1400 for my setup last fall semester, and I LOVE the portability. 4.5lbs, 12.1" widescreen, that I can use outside with no problems. Also got bluetooth + wireless N.

ZERO problems from the laptop, too

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Unless you get the 10000lb armor plated military spec one you can still break it pretty easily, LOL.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I vote MacBook. If you must go PC the Toughbooks look pretty nice. Some are really light weight too.

If there's one thing I learned the hard way about laptops at college it's light weight. I bought an 8-lb laptop and I wasn't able to bring it to class because it was too heavy and the battery life sucked. Make sure you get about a 5-lb laptop or less.