I have an 89 twin turbo supra , what can I do??

jdm_kid

May 4, 2010
washington
I just got a 89 twin turbo supra its a 1g-gte and I was just wondering since im new to supras(converted from the dark side of jdm from hondas lol), what kinds of things i should try and do since im not familiar with this platform, any info or advice would be much appriciated

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
1ggte?
Kinda rare to have the 2.0 motor.
Not sure how much is here in the US for that engine.
Welcome to the forums, man.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
RazoE;1561428 said:
my friend has one in his '91...

great little engine once you let it breathe better, damn thing can keep up with my BPU'd 7MGTE, no problem..

Regardless why would you downgrade....?

Unless the prev owner had a bhg/rod knock, had a 1ggte laying around and just dropped it in being too lazy
to fix the bhg/rod knock...

Typical.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
I6Boost

this will be the only time I tell you this.....

the OP asked a question.

your post does nothing to address his question, you are just giving your subjective opinion on what someone ELSE did on thier car.

Knock it off.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I6Boost;1561440 said:
Regardless why would you downgrade....?

Unless the prev owner had a bhg/rod knock, had a 1ggte laying around and just dropped it in being too lazy
to fix the bhg/rod knock...

Typical.

If you're asking why "downgrade", a 1JZ is considered an upgrade from a 7M, because it's twin turbo, yet it's .5 liters smaller..

well think of it this way, a 1G-GTE is also twin turbo, and is ALSO .5 liters smaller than a 1J, so wouldn't it be considered an upgrade, it does after all have a TVIS style manifold with 12 intake runners, and is much lighter, and can rev the same amount, and just like a 1JZ, it can be bored and stroked (up to a 2.4), so what do you prefer, a 2.4L twin turbo, or a 2.5L twin turbo if one weighs less..?

I would definitely swap a 1G-GTE into my 86.5, but my friend (with the 1G), has another in his garage, but unfortunately it's auto, and I don't want to swap to an auto, since a 1G bellhousing is hard to come by...

you can even ask Jose Valle (Soapra) the potential of 1G's, and he's a 1J fanatic..

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
What do you know about the car/motor? How many miles on the swap (is it a swap)? What transmission do you have? Like any car, even hondas, letting them breath in and out better is usually a good place to start. Depending on the condition of the motor you could go with a slightly bigger single turbo, or way bigger. Piggy back computer for tuning fuel and or timing, or standalone. Be sure to check all seals, gaskets, connections, plugs, and the torque specs of the critical bolts, screws and nuts before pushing any motor. Also a compression and leak down test is good info to have.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
jdm_kid;1561213 said:
I just got a 89 twin turbo supra its a 1g-gte and I was just wondering since im new to supras(converted from the dark side of jdm from hondas lol), what kinds of things i should try and do since im not familiar with this platform, any info or advice would be much appriciated

check out the build threads around here. You might find someone with a 1G build thread. And even if you cant find that specificly, I think the rest of them will still inspire you

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
jdm_kid;1561509 said:
hell yea all this info is great, does anyone know of any good websites for aftermarket supra stuff?

vendors section of the main forum page.

jdm_kid

May 4, 2010
washington
yes its a 1g-gte with 110,000 miles on it, i just got a 3" megan racing exhast ,and i already have an upgraded intercooler, i want to get some headers, and some other things but like i said i switched over from hondas so i dont have any good sites or conec....so if ne one has any feedback or parts that would be sweettt

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
1G performance parts are hard to come by in the states. Most of the big name tuners discontinued parts for the 1G-GTE, however you can still get some, just browse yahoo auction japan. Intakes are easy since they use AFM's just grab a kit for a 7M and should bolt right up. Itd be easier to get a custom downpipe made unless you find, a old HKS or Trust downpipe. Id also get a custom Y-Pipe made coming off the twins. projectsupra on the forums has a pretty modified 1G http://www.supramania.com/forums/album.php?albumid=778.

batttz

English Lurker
Aug 28, 2007
Hampshire
Not sure if I am allowed to say this (mods please remove if I am out of order) but I have a hardpipe with blitz bov for a 1g-gte for sale on the uk forum

Polythamus

May 24, 2009
Melbourne
Theres nothing wrong with a GA70 supra. My supra started off with a 1g-gte, unfortunatly for me it was a auto and i got sick of its sluggishness so i swapped in a manual 1jz. However if your arent looking for high hp, which most of us arent really anyway the 1g is a good engine. It loves to rev and its lightweight. Remove some excess fat from your supra, work on the intake, exhaust etc like you would any turbo car, possibly change to a faster spooling single turbo since the stock twins can be laggy and you would have a very fun car. For the money i spent swapping in a manual 1jz i could have easily had an absolute beast of a 1g.